• Login / Register

Maruti Suzuki Ertiga 1.5-Litre Petrol MT Mileage: Real vs Claimed

Published On May 04, 2019 01:14 PM By Sonny for Maruti Ertiga

  • Write a comment

How efficient is the new mild-hybrid petrol powertrain really? We find out

  • Ertiga offered with three engines: one petrol and two diesel.

  • Petrol engine paired with Suzuki’s mild-hybrid tech offered with both 5-speed manual and 4-speed AT.

  • Maruti claims Ertiga petrol MT can do 19.34kmpl.

  • Our real-world tests reveal Maruti Ertiga city mileage to be 13.4kmpl and highway mileage to be 16.03kmpl.

The second-gen Maruti Ertiga MPV was launched in late 2018 with a new petrol engine. This 1.5-litre K15 Smart Hybrid engine is offered with both a 5-speed manual as well as 4-speed torque convertor automatic transmission. It is also offered with two diesel engine options: a 1.3-litre unit with Smart Hybrid tech and a new, in-house-developed 1.5-litre unit as well. The Ertiga is currently priced between Rs 7.45 lakh to Rs 11.21 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi).

Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Gets The More Powerful 1.5-litre Diesel Engine

However, with Maruti announcing their plans to axe all diesel-powered cars by April 2020, we decided to bring you the real picture of running the petrol-MT Ertiga MPV and its real-world fuel-efficiency figures. Here are the numbers:








5-speed manual

Claimed fuel efficiency


Tested fuel efficiency (City)


Tested fuel efficiency (Highway)


50% in city & 50% on highway

25% in city & 75% on highway

75% in city & 25% on highway




The numbers reveal that the claimed efficiency figures from the manufacturer fall short of the real-world test results in both city and highway driving. In the case of city driving in particular, the Ertiga petrol-MT is 5 kmpl less efficient than the claimed numbers which are recorded under a controlled environment.

Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Gets The More Powerful 1.5-litre Diesel Engine

If you drive mostly in the city, expect this mild-hybrid petrol Ertiga to deliver just around 14kmpl. Meanwhile, if your use involves more highway mileage and less city driving, the efficiency figures will go over 15kmpl. If your commute is a balance of both types of driving environments, the petrol-manual Ertiga can deliver up to 14.59kmpl.

Our road test teams drive cars with a gentle foot while testing them for fuel efficiency so it’s expected that your figures might deviate from our tested figures since fuel efficiency figures also depend on the driving style, car and road conditions. If you are one of the owners of the second-gen Maruti Ertiga with the 1.5-litre petrol mild-hybrid powertrain, share your findings with us and other owners in the comments section below.

Read More on : Ertiga diesel

Maruti Ertiga

543 reviewsRate This Car
Rs.7.45 - 11.21 Lakh* Get On Road Price
Petrol19.34 kmpl
Diesel25.47 kmpl
Check June Offers
*Ex-showroom Price in New Delhi
Published by

Write your Comment on Maruti Ertiga

Prashant Bhawnani
Jun 5, 2019 1:51:43 PM

Bought Ertiga 2 months ago n clocked 1500 kms till now. unfortunately I am getting an average of just 7 in city as per MID. once I was stuck in traffic for 20 mins and by the time I reach home which was total of 6 kms run average showing in MID was 2.5 which is just unbelievable. I have clicked pics of MID not sure what's wrong with the car. I took Nashik couple of times from Mumbai there I got an average of 13 as per MID. Mine is ZXI plus

Write a Reply
Jun 8, 2019 6:08:47 AM

We completely understand the situation, hence would request you to get the car checked at the nearest authorized service center. As the actual mileage of the car also depends on parameters like road conditions and the driving style.

    Write a Reply
    Gautam Goel
    May 5, 2019 6:32:26 PM

    Almost 10,000 KM and getting above 20kmpl on highway and arpund 16 im city

    Write a Reply
    Varun Mishra
    Jun 2, 2019 9:03:39 AM

    Is it a petrol or a diesel?? What is your rpm range mostly?? Under 2000 rpm??

      Write a Reply
      Gautam Goel
      Jun 5, 2019 5:30:54 PM

      Varun Mishra petrol....drive exactly at 2000 rpm

        Write a Reply
        Chiranth Jain
        May 5, 2019 2:21:47 PM

        Your results are absolutely perfect and almost near by the experiences of most people. My car has done 3.5kms now and recently i did a 350km trip on which 60% of the road was city, curves and inclinations hence i had to keep the revs up around 2,500 to 3,000 rpm in the inclinations. Remaining 40% was highway and got efficiency of 13kmpl which feels right after seeing your review. It's a little disappointing figures actually because it's Maruti Suzuki! And also has mild hybrid system so these figures are completely puzzled from what the manufacturers claim.

          Write a Reply
          Read Full News

          Similar cars to compare & consider

          Ex-showroom Price New Delhi
          Which is your city ?