Jeep Compass vs Hyundai Tucson: Variant Wise Feature Comparison
The Compass has certainly hit a sweet spot in the mid-size SUV segment with its absolutely brilliant pricing!
The article has been updated with latest prices and info on October 6, 2017.
Jeep had surprised everyone with the Compass’ cut-throat pricing when it was launched on July 31, 2017. Even after the increase in cess over GST, the prices are still competitive and now start at Rs 15.16 lakh (ex-showroom, New Delhi). The Jeep Compass undercuts its immediate rival, the Hyundai Tucson, by around Rs 3 lakh for the petrol trim and by nearly Rs 4 lakh for the diesel.
We were supposed to put the Volkswagen Tiguan in this article as well since it is also one of its direct rivals globally. But the VW Tiguan, which starts at Rs 26.65 lakh (ex-showroom, Pan India), has been completely put out of the question by the Compass’ pricing.
The Honda CR-V, on the other hand, is presently in a dire need of a replacement all-new model , which is likely to be launched in 2018. Skoda will also launch Yeti’s successor, the Karoq, next year in the country. Meanwhile, check out how the Compass fares against the Hyundai Tucson in our variant wise feature comparison.
Prices (ex-showroom, New Delhi)
Jeep Compass Petrol
|Jeep Compass Sport||Rs 15.16 lakh|
|Jeep Compass Limited||Rs 18.96 lakh|
|Jeep Compass Limited (O)||Rs 19.67 lakh|
Jeep Compass Diesel
|Jeep Compass Sport||Rs 15.99 lakh|
|Jeep Compass Longitude||Rs 17.03 lakh|
|Jeep Compass Longitude (O)||Rs 17.85 lakh|
|Jeep Compass Limited||Rs 18.68 lakh|
|Jeep Compass Limited (O)||Rs 19.41 lakh|
|Jeep Compas Limited 4x4||Rs 20.65 lakh|
|Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 (O)||Rs 21.37 lakh|
Hyundai Tucson Petrol
|Hyundai Tucson Base||Rs 17.99 lakh|
|Hyundai Tucson GL Auto||Rs 20.99 lakh|
Hyundai Tucson Diesel
|Hyundai Tucson Base||Rs 19.65 lakh|
|Hyundai Tucson GL||Rs 22.49 lakh|
|Hyundai Tucson GLS Auto 4WD||Rs 25.19 lakh|
As you can clearly see, the top-spec Limited trim of the petrol Compass is pricier than the base petrol model of the Tucson by nearly Rs 1 lakh. While its optional range-topping petrol automatic model, Limited (O), undercuts the flagship petrol model of the Tucson by almost a similar amount.
For the diesel, you get a 4x4-equipped full-spec Compass for nearly Rs 1 lakh more than the price of the Tucson's base model. Though the range-topping Tucson GLS diesel offers auto+4WD combo, it looks overpriced in front of the Compass manual 4x4 (pricier by Rs 3.80 lakh).
The petrol and diesel base trims of the Compass are literally incomparable with those of the Tucson's. Given the fact that they come pretty well loaded as well further strengthens their cases!
We’ll have a look at the overlapping variants of the Compass and Tucson below.
Common Standard Safety Features
- Dual-front airbags (dual-stage airbags in the Compass inflate according to the severity of the crash)
- Anti-lock braking system (ABS) with electronic brake-force distribution (EBD)
- Front and rear disc brakes
- Child seat anchors
Jeep Compass Limited vs Hyundai Tucson Base
Price difference: the Compass petrol is roughly expensive by Rs 97,000
- Jeep Compass Limited: 1.4-litre turbocharged petrol – 162PS/250Nm; 7-speed dual-clutch automatic
- Hyundai Tucson Base: 2.0-litre petrol – 155PS/192Nm; 6-speed manual
- Jeep Compass: 7.0-inch Uconnect system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (6-speaker system)
- Hyundai Tucson: 8.0-inch unit with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto along (6-speaker system)
- Halogen projector headlamps are offered in both the SUVs (auto headlamps in the Tucson). The Tucson gets LED daytime running lamps, while the Compass gets halogen ones. LED position lamps are offered in the Compass
- LED tail lamps are standard in the Compass, not offered with the base variant in the Tucson
- Alloy wheels: Jeep Compass: R17 || Hyundai Tucson: R17
- The Compass gets dual-zone climate control with activated carbon filter and rear AC vents (manual air conditioning in the Tucson)
- The Compass offers passive keyless entry and push button start-stop (not available in the base variant of the Tucson)
- Heated outside rearview mirrors in the Tucson (the Compass just gets adjustable and foldable units)
- Rear parking sensors and camera support are common in both the SUVs
- ‘Ski-Grey’ McKinley leather upholstery in the Compass (fabric upholstery in the Tucson)
- A leather wrapped steering wheel is common
Limited is almost the range-topping trim in the Compass’ lineup and this is what it offers extra over the base variant of the Tucson:
- Electronic parking brake (standard)
- Traction control system (TCS) (standard)
- Electronic stability control (ESC) (standard)
- Electronic roll mitigation
- Hill start assist
Jeep Compass Limited (O) vs Hyundai Tucson GL
Price difference: the Compass Limited (O) petrol is approximately cheaper by Rs 1.32 lakh than the Tucson GL petrol
The Tucson’s 2.0-litre motor is mated to a 6-speed automatic transmission in the GL trim
Over the Limited, the Compass Limited (O) gets dual-tone roof and Bi-xenon projector headlamps.
The Tucson GL gets significant feature additions over its base trim:
- R18 diamond cut alloy wheels
- Six airbags (dual-front, side and curtain airbags)
- Static bending headlamps (halogen)
- Front parking sensors
- Leather upholstery
- Dual-zone climate control with cluster ionizer and rear AC vents
- Passive keyless entry with push button start-stop
- 10-way power adjustable driver seat
- Safety features: electronic stability control (ESC), vehicle stability management (VSM), hill assist control (HAC), downhill brake control (DBC) and brake assist
Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 vs Hyundai Tucson Base
Price difference: The Jeep Compass Limited 4x4 diesel is pricier by Rs 70,000 than the Tucson Base diesel
- Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4: 2.0-litre diesel – 173PS/350Nm; 4x4 6-speed manual
- Hyundai Tucson Base diesel: 2.0-litre diesel – 185PS/400Nm; 6-speed manual
The Compass Limited 4x4 diesel additionally offers six-airbags (dual-front, side and curtain airbags) and Jeep Active Drive with Selec-Terrain (Auto, Snow, Sand and Mud) drive modes over its petrol Limited counterpart.
The Hyundai Tucson base diesel offers the same goodies as its petrol counterpart.
Check Out: Jeep Compass: All You Need To Know
Read More on : Compass diesel