Groupe PSA To Launch Citroen Cars In India By 2021
Citroën cars and powertrains to be locally manufactured in Tamil Naidu
Update: Scheduled to launch in 2020, the C5 Aircross will be Citroen's first offering in India. Read more about it here.
- Citroën will manufacture cars and powertrains in Tamil Naidu.
- Citroën plans to launch ‘highly localised’ mass market cars in India.
- First car could be launched before the end of 2021; likely to be a mid-size SUV.
- Citroën is currently testing the C5 Aircross mid-size SUV in India.
- If launched, it will rival the Hyundai Tucson, Volkswagen Tiguan and the upcoming Skoda Karoq.
- Groupe PSA first entered India with the Peugeot brand in the mid-90s
Groupe PSA has announced that it will introduce the Citroën brand in India before the end of 2021 as part of its strategic plan called ‘Push To Pass’. This will make Citroën the third new car manufacturer to enter India after Kia and MG, both of which are set to launch their first product later this year. The announcement was made during the presentation of Groupe PSA’s FY2018 financial results today (February 26).
Last year, Groupe PSA announced that it will partner with the CK Birla group to manufacture its cars at the latter’s facility in Tamil Nadu. Groupe PSA will also start manufacturing BSVI engines in the country under its joint-venture with CK Birla’s AVTEC soon.
The carmaker plans to launch ‘highly localised’ mass market cars in the country. It has already started testing the C5 Aircross on our soil. Check out the spy shots and details of this mid-size SUV here. Groupe PSA is also expected to launch DS, Citroën’s luxury marque, in the country. Apart from Citroën and DS, the French conglomerate comprises of Peugeot, Opel and Vauxhall brands as well.
0 out of 0 found this helpful