Download Mobile AppGet On Road Price Feedback Ask a Question
My Account
  • Language
  • Notifications
  • CitySelect City
  • Login

4th Gen Honda City Barges Into Records With 2.5 Lakh Domestic Sales

Published On Jun 30, 2017 09:33 AM By Khan Mohd. for Honda City

The 4th generation City recorded 1 million global sales, out of which 25 per cent came from the Indian market

Honda City

Japanese carmaker Honda has sold more than 2.5 lakh units of its 4th generation City in the country. Globally, the numbers of this generation model read 1 million units. Contributing to 25 per cent of its overall sales, the Indian Honda City registered close to 61 per cent of its sales for petrol and the rest, 39 per cent for diesel. Since its global debut in 1981, over 3.5 million Citys have been sold worldwide.

Surprisingly, about 30 per cent of the aspirants of the petrol City opted for the automatic (CVT) option, while the remaining 70 per cent went for its manual counterpart. With respect to sales of manual sedans, the diesel- and petrol-powered Citys are almost neck and neck with a ratio of 1:1.

India is an important market for Honda, which was evident when it debuted a diesel version of the City for the very first time as the demand for the same was soaring back in India in 2014. Before the introduction of the diesel trim, the City lost the top spot to the Hyundai Verna and the gap was increasing with each passing month. As soon as the i-DTEC engine-powered City was launched in January 2014, the pride and the sales were restored, as the car yet again reached the pinnacle in the mid-size sedan segment.

Honda City i-DTEC Engine

The current Honda City is available in both the 1.5-litre i-VTEC petrol and the 1.5-litre i-DTEC diesel engine options. The introduction of the advanced CVT transmission technology also helped trigger City’s sales (30 percent automatic Citys is a huge chunk considering a developing country like India). The manual petrol trim returns decent fuel economy of 17.4kmpl, whereas its CVT version offers excellent mileage of 18kmpl. However, the most fuel efficient variants are the diesel ones – 25.6kmpl.

The Honda City is the bread and butter model for the carmaker in India. With the BR-V and the Brio completely falling out, it relies on the Amaze, the City and the lately launched WRV to power its India operations. The launch of the new Honda CR-V, possibly with a 1.6-litre diesel option, in 2018 is definitely something we are looking forward to.

Let’s see how things spin in the future for Honda.

Also read: Honda To Export 1.6-litre Locally Produced Diesel Engine To Thailand

Read More on : Honda City on road price

Research on City

  • Gallery
  • Video
  • Others

You might also be interested in

Similar cars to compare & consider - Compare Cars

*Ex-showroom price New Delhi

Upcoming Cars

*Estimated Price New Delhi
Feedback
+91

Thank you!

We would consider your suggestion. Thanks for Golden words.

×
×
Select your city
To get a better CarDekho experience
Advertise With Us

Cardekho is the right platform to reach out to your customers. We ensure that your advertising messages reach the relevant customer in the right way.

For any advertising options and corporate tie-ups, you may contact us at the below details:

HEAD OFFICE
Girnar Software Pvt. Ltd., JTM, Model Town, Near Jagatpura Flyover, Jaipur -302017 Phone: +91-141-2611889
NORTH
Siddharth Sharma (+91-9971900499) Vinil Arora (+91-9818358766)
WEST & SOUTH
Amol Kelkar (+91-9833155866) Ria Kaul (+91-9820295866)
×