Mahindra Scorpio vs Mahindra Thar
Scorpio Vs Thar
|Key Highlights||Mahindra Scorpio||Mahindra Thar|
|Mileage (city)||17.0 kmpl||9.0 kmpl|
|On Road Price|
|Offers & Discount||No||No|
|Finance Available (EMI)||No|
|Engine and Transmission|
mHawk Diesel Engine
mHawk 130 Engine
|No Of Cylinder|
|Max Power (bhp@rpm)|
|Max Torque (nm@rpm)|
|Valves Per Cylinder|
|Fuel Supply System|
|Fuel & Performance|
|Fuel Tank Capacity|
|Emission Norm Compliance|
BS VI 2.0
|Top Speed (Kmph)||No||No|
|Suspension, Steering & Brakes|
Double Wish-bone Type,Independent Front Coil Spring
Independent Double Wishbone Front Suspension with Coil Over Damper & Stabiliser Bar
Multi Link Coil Spring Suspension with Anti-roll Bar
Multilink Solid Rear Axle with Coil Over Damper & Stabiliser Bar
|Shock Absorbers Type|
Hydraulic Double Acting, Telescopic
Tilt & Collapsible
|Turning Radius (Metres)|
|Front Brake Type|
|Rear Brake Type|
|Emission Norm Compliance|
BS VI 2.0
|Alloy Wheel Size|
|Dimensions & Capacity|
|Ground Clearance Unladen (mm)|
|Wheel Base (mm)|
|Front Tread (mm)|
|Rear Tread (mm)|
|Kerb Weight (kg)|
|No. of Doors|
|Comfort & Convenience|
|Power Windows Front||Yes||Yes|
|Power Windows Rear||Yes|
|Automatic Climate Control||Yes||No|
|Remote Fuel Lid Opener||Yes|
|Low Fuel Warning Light||Yes||Yes|
|Accessory Power Outlet||Yes||Yes|
|Rear Seat Headrest||Yes||Yes|
|Cup Holders Front||Yes|
|Cup Holders Rear||Yes|
|Seat Lumbar Support|
|Multifunction Steering Wheel||Yes||Yes|
|Foldable Rear Seat|
Front & Rear Door
|Central Console Armrest||Yes|
|Gear Shift Indicator||Yes||No|
|Luggage Hook And Net|
|Lane Change Indicator||Yes||Yes|
Extended Power Windows,Aeroblade Rear Wiper,Lead Me to Vehicle Headlamps,Hydraulic Assisted Bonnet,Black Foot Step,Mobile Pocket in Centre Cosole
|One Touch Operating Power Window|
|Height Adjustable Driver Seat||Yes||Yes|
|Follow Me Home Headlamps||Yes||Yes|
|Electronic Multi Tripmeter||Yes||Yes|
|Leather Steering Wheel||Yes|
|Leather Wrap Gear Shift Selector||Yes|
Faux Leather with Fabirc Inserts Seat Upholstery,Faux Leather Gear Knob and Gear Gaiter,Roof Mounted Sunglass Holder,Swivel Roof Lamp,ond Row Can Holder on Console,Driver Information through Infotainment - Average Fuel Economy,Distance to Empty,Service Reminder,etc
All New Interiors,Centre Roof Lamp,Coloured MID Display in Instrument Cluster
|Available Colors||-||Everest WhiteRage RedAqua MarineNapoli BlackDeep GreyThar Colors|
SUVAll SUV Cars
SUVAll SUV Cars
|Fog Lights Front||Yes||Yes|
|Power Adjustable Exterior Rear View Mirror||Yes||Yes|
|Manually Adjustable Ext Rear View Mirror||No||No|
|Rear Window Wiper||Yes|
|Rear Window Washer||Yes|
|Rear Window Defogger||Yes||Yes|
|Outside Rear View Mirror Turn Indicators||Yes|
LED Eyebrows,Chrome Front Grille Inserts,Red Lens LED Tail Lamps,Body Coloured Front & Rear Bumper,Body Coloured Side Cladding,Body Coloured ORVMs & Outside Door Handles,Ski Rack,Front Fog Lamps with Chrome Bezel,Chrome Rear Number Plate Applique,Silver Skid Plate,Bonnet Scoop,Clear Lens Turn Indicators,Silver Finish Fender Bezel,Chrome Finish AC Vents,LED Centre High Mount Stop Lamp,Puddle Lamp
Bonnet Latches,Deep Silver Finish Vertical Slats on the Front Grille,R18 Deep Silver Alloy Wheels with Thar Branding,Wheel Arch Cladding,Moulded Side Foot Steps,Fender Mounted Radio Antenna,Tailgate Mounted Spare Wheel, All Black Bumpers
|Alloy Wheel Size|
|Anti Lock Braking System||Yes||Yes|
|Power Door Locks||Yes||Yes|
|Child Safety Locks||Yes|
|Anti Theft Alarm||Yes||Yes|
|No Of Airbags|
|Day Night Rear View Mirror|
|Passenger Side Rear View Mirror||Yes||Yes|
|Rear Seat Belts||Yes||Yes|
|Seat Belt Warning||Yes||Yes|
|Side Impact Beams||Yes|
|Tyre Pressure Monitor|
|Engine Check Warning||Yes||Yes|
|Electronic Stability Control|
|Advance Safety Features|
Emergency Call,Panic Brake Indication,Automatic Door Lock While Driving,Manual Override,Static Bending Technology in Headlamps,Intellipark,Tyre tronics,Micro Hybrid Technology,Rain & Light Sensors
Adventure Statistics,Adventure Connect : Calender Integration,Tyre Direction Monitoring System,Electric Driveline Disconnect on Front Axle,Mechanical Looking Differential,Brake Locking Differential,Washable Floor with Drain Plugs,Welded Tow Hooks in Front and Rear,Tow Hitch Protection,ESP with Roll-over Mitigation,Roll Cage,3-Point Seat Belts for Rear Passengers,Panic Braking Signal,Passenger Airbag Deactivation Switch,Automatic Hub Lock,Diesel Exhaust Fluid Tank 20L
|Anti Pinch Power Windows|
|Speed Sensing Auto Door Lock||Yes||Yes|
|Isofix Child Seat Mounts|
|Global NCAP Safety Rating|
|Global NCAP Child Safety Rating|
|Entertainment & Communication|
|USB And Auxiliary Input||Yes||Yes|
|Touch Screen Size|
Android Auto,Apple CarPlay
|Apple Car Play||Yes|
|Number Of Speaker|
Tweeters,18cm Touch Screen Infotainment
17.8cm Touch Screen Infotainment System with Navigation,2 Tweeters,Bluesense App Connectivity,SMS Read-Out
Let us help you find the dream car
Pros and Cons
- Despite being an SUV, the Scorpio offers great city driveability thanks to the light clutch and the 2.2-litre mHawk engine that offers a good amount of low-end torque.
- The Mahindra Scorpio commands loads of road presence, aggressive styling and an abuse-friendly structure.
- With a starting price of Rs 9.99 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi), the Scorpio is on of the most affordable 7-seater SUVs in the country
- Unlike many of its rivals, the Scorpio comes with proper shift on fly 4WD system.
- Attention grabbing design. Looks macho and has stronger road presence than ever before.
- Available with petrol and diesel engines with a choice of 6-speed manual or automatic transmissions for both.
- Design better suited for off-roading than before. Big improvements in departure angle, breakover angle and ground clearance.
- More tech: Brake based differential locking system, auto locking rear mechanical differential, shift-on-the-fly 4x4 with low range, 7-inch touchscreen with off-road gauges, Android Auto, Apple CarPlay & navigation
- Good quality interior with better practicality than before. The Thar is now more family friendly.
- Improved noise vibration and harshness management. Doesn’t feel crude or outdated to drive anymore.
- More configurations: Fixed soft top, fixed hardtop or convertible soft top, available as a 6- or 4- seater
- Being a body on ladder frame SUV, the Scorpio’s ride quality is bumpy and has a fair amount of body roll. This means long distance travel in the Scorpio would be a bit uneasy for the rear passengers.
- The option of 4WD is limited to the top-spec S11 variant which feels a bit overpriced for the equipment it offers.
- Poor ergonomic: the storage door packets are almost impossible to access with doors shut and it is a similar issue with driver seat height adjuster.
- The fit and finish quality on the Scorpio is not up to the mark. Even the faux leather upholstery offered in the top-spec S11 variant does not feel upmarket.
- Stiff ride quality. Deals with bad roads well but sharp bumps can unsettle the cabin quite easily
- Old school ladder frame SUV and behaves like one. Loads of body roll even on mild curves
- Some cabin flaws: Rear windows aren’t openable, pedal box leaves no proper space to rest your left foot even in the automatic & thick B pillars create large blind spots to the side
- It’s a heavily improved/polished version of a hardcore off-roader but not an alternative to more practical, comfortable, feature rich compact/sub compact SUVs
Must read articles before buying Mahindra Scorpio and Mahindra Thar
The Thar’s mechanical locking diff is replaced by a brake locking differential which assists in traction when wheel slip is detected
With a starting price of Rs 9.99 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi), the refreshed Mahindra Scorpio is available in six variants with two engine and transmission options each
Besides an enhanced feature-list, the mid-life update gets a host of cosmetic and mechanical changes
The new Scorpio might just look a facelift, but look deeper and you'll notice that the changes run more than skin deep. We put it through an exhaustive test to see how much it has changed
The all-new Thar has been thoroughly impressive, both on and off tarmac. However, so far, it has only been compared to its predecessor. We pitch it against its urban sibling to see if it's any good for a family in the city.
From a face mask to a heavy-duty lift jack, there’s a lot you can deck out your Thar with
Videos of Mahindra Scorpio and Mahindra Thar
- Mahindra Thar SUV Old vs New | On/Off Road Comparison! | ZigWheels.comFeb 10, 2021 | 38196 Views
- 🚙 Mahindra Thar 2020: First Look Review | Modern ‘Classic’? | ZigWheels.comFeb 10, 2021 | 145922 Views
- 7:55Mahindra Scorpio Quick Review | Pros, Cons and Should You Buy OneApr 13, 2018 | 233593 Views
- Mahindra Thar 2020: Pros and Cons In Hindi | बेहतरीन तो है, लेकिन PERFECT नही! | CarDekho.comFeb 10, 2021 | 36236 Views
- 🚙 2020 Mahindra Thar Drive Impressions | Can You Live With It? | Zigwheels.comFeb 10, 2021 | 31592 Views
- Giveaway Alert! Mahindra Thar Part II | Getting Down And Dirty | PowerDriftFeb 10, 2021 | 44401 Views
Thar Comparison with similar cars
Compare Cars By SUV
Research more on Scorpio and Thar
- Expert Reviews
- Recent News
- New Mahindra Scorpio: Expert Review
The new Scorpio might just look a facelift, but look deeper and you'll notice that the changes run m...
- Mahindra Scorpio Expert Review
The Scorpio has been one of the biggest success stories for the Mahindra automotive division and the...
- Mahindra Thar vs Mahindra XUV300: Not What You Think Comparison
The all-new Thar has been thoroughly impressive, both on and off tarmac. However, so far, it has onl...
- 2020 Mahindra Thar First Look Review
From a bare-boned off-roader to a desirable modern terrain tamer that meets more than just one need,...
- Mahindra Scorpio Classic Likely To Get A New Variant And More Seating Options
Even the Bolero might get a new base variant which will reduce its starting price...
- Hyundai Creta And Kia Seltos Take Top Honours In July 2022 Compact SUV Sales
The segment, however, saw a month-on-month (MoM) decline of around 10 per cent...
- Prices Hiked This September 2023 For Mahindra Thar, XUV700, Scorpio N And More
While most Mahindra SUVs have gotten pricier ahead of the festive season, select variants of the XUV...
- Mahindra Thar EV Concept Vs Thar - All Differences In 10 Pics
The electric concept ramps up the ruggedness of the already aggressive Mahindra Thar...
- Mahindra August 15 New Concept Cars Showcase: Here's What To Expect
The 2023 Independence Day showcase from Mahindra will give us the first look at an all-electric Thar...
Questions & Answers