Renault Duster - A confused car

By for Renault Duster 2016-06-08 17:33:45.0
  • Appearance

Pros : Looks, Power, Interiors

Cons : Engine noise, control, space

I am planning to buy a car under a price tag of Rs 10 lakh and therefore, I had to check out the Renault Duster.

The car is confused between to be an SUV or a comfort vehicle. I liked the car's looks from all sides and then I got behind the steering wheel. The feel inside is balanced, though I expected it to be more elite.

I was testing a diesel version may be this is the reason I found the engine noise too high. The riding experience is fine, power delivery is good and linear but I did not like the vehicle's performance off-road. When you see all the ads by Renault they project it to be an off-roader. But the car?s controls failed to impress me and on loose tracks, you will kind of hate the vehicle.

The center console and interiors are well designed and infotainment system is a plus for music lovers. Space in the second row is good for tall people but seating three people can be a headache. The elite feel was missing here as well.

I have tested Duster's rivals as well and they fair quite well against Duster's offering. I don't know much about the automatic version of the Duster as I was given a manual variant but Creta's automatic is quite comfortable.

Take a test drive of all the vehicles in this segment in case you are planning to buy a car in this space. If you like low maintenance, go for some other car. It is most likely you will end up choosing another car in case you are specific about your requirement. But you might end up buying Duster if you are confused like the car itself, in my judgement.

• Don't miss out on the festive offers this August