A week's usage review

By for Volkswagen Polo 2013-2015 2013-10-05 16:29:56.0
  • Appearance

Pros : Engine, Fit & Finish, Interior quality

Cons : Cost, feature list, low ground clearance,New facelift coming on May14

Look and Style 5 stars for the looks and style, I am sure no one can complain of the finish and design of VW Polo. Comfort I often drive Swift and Nissan Micra during my daily transportation. I feel comfortness level for rear seat is almost the same with the other two cars (Which is average space considering a hatchback), Front seat is comfortable and roomy but the sitting position, driving comfort and the front view is 5 stars for Micra, 4 stars for swift, 3.5 stars for Polo.  Pickup Pickup and acceleration is top notch for a hatchback, Mind blowing performance which can be found only in bigger cars. Mileage My dash is showing 12Km/l as average, I do not know why the hell does is show like that but as per my calculation with the refueling cycle, My car gives a decent 13-15 in city, and around 16-18 in highways.   Best Features Interior quality materials, leather seat, steering wraps etc etc. all excellent. Needs to improve Black interiror design certainly gives a cramped up sensation which applys to both the driver and the rear passangers. Low features list, selling at 9.5 lakhs on road in Tamil nadu, I atleast need a rear view camera, some distinctive difference from all other polo's, especially when i am shelling out more then a lakh considering other top end cars of this segment. Overall Experience Ground clearence is Very Bad. Less then nothing cosmetic changes for the costliest hatch in the segment (Probably VW had too many vento engines to move out before the next update, May 14).  Too bad i learned about the Polo facelift is going to be launched next year may 2014, if I had known earlier i would have waited it out. If performance hatch is the only thing you are looking for, Grab this car. For everyone else try more then a dozen options in the crowded indian hatch back market!! I have to wait some time to check out the VW serice, So no idea about the VW service yet.

• Krishna |29 Sep,2013 03:32:22 PM

Hey, nice review. I often drive Swift hatch and I am very comfortable with the same, I am very curious with this new polo GT Tdi and I am looking for a fast car. Considering you drive both swift and polo, Can you tell me your preferred vehicle excluding the engine performance. but for engine refinement, internal space, and any other noticeable difference you may have noticed..

• Auto Freak |29 Sep,2013 03:45:53 PM

Hmm... pushing out 1.6L TDI engines before the New 1.5L TDI engines(Possibly with better mileage) launches with the face lifted polo next year makes sense, which also explains the lack of actual face lift or any kind of internal or external admissible cosmetic changes for this premium GT TDI car. VW, Please do not try to screw the Indian car buyers with temporary sales strategy's. said mileage of 13-15 is wayyy below average :(

• Sugastin |14 Dec,2013 09:28:42 AM

Pls tell me wether its worth buying vw GT tdi and tel me wether the gear box is good(DSG 7'speed auto)

honey agarwal |15 Sep,2014 04:22:32 PM

go for it gt is great choice ....dsg gear box is worth in is segment its a flying hatchback..............dont think just get it

• Ashish |16 Dec,2013 06:00:44 PM

Hi, VW GT tdi does not come 7 speed auto DSG..... 5 speed Manual transmission is mated with 1.6 tdi motor which produce 104 BHP @ 4400 rpm...... Having a 1.6 ltr engine is a costly affair, 27% excise..... If you love driving and you are driving enthusiast then I would recommend to go for GT TSI..... amazing drivability with good suspension setting and with ability to shift gear Manually it is fun to drive.... remember GT tsi has amazing hardware.

• Shailen |17 Jul,2014 06:40:07 PM

I cannot decide , I want to buy Polo New Top Model in Petrol , But the average it gives , I have to think once again.I had booked Toyota Etios Cross G , going to cancel it now as it does not have ABS . V W Polo is no match for Quality but then I heard the Maintenance cost & running Cost is very High compared to other Cars. Can Anyone suggest any other Car Please.

rikhit |11 Aug,2014 02:50:14 PM

@ shailen:- mileage shown by company is not real world mileage. you can get better or worse depending on how carefully and smoothly or roughly you drive. personally i have been able to achieve 28 kpl from navi mumbai to bangalore and 31 kpl back in a fiat punto diesel with ac on but it took me nearly twice the amount of time to travel and found it very exhausting, keeping control over my right foot for maximum mileage. THE PETROL POLO TSI I think is a fantastic car for several reasons...1 its light. 1.3 ton gvw 2dsg box is just perfectly engineered. 3 it runs full boost on turbo from 1500to 4100 rpm thus utilising fuel most efficiently. it is after all a 1.2 litre unit pulling a 1.2 ton car. other options apart from the polo if you are looking to try are hyundai i20 diesel(for the plethora of features and the sixth gear) fiat punto evo diesel(new looks new dash and the best handling setup) toyota etios( for solid and sound build structure and nothing else in its favour) if your running monthly over 500 km go for the polo tdi or the punto dsl or the hyundai dsl in that order. i have not forgotten the swift dsl at all. its just that i know it has a huge build flaw that most nobody knows of. i found out the hard way how the cut cost. honda too is not what it used to be. cutting costs for profit. REMEMBER EVERY CAR IS A WHITE ELEPHANT. N EVERY NEW THING IS GOING TO GET OLD. BE SMART SEE WHICH CAR FEELS THE MOST COMMUNICATIVE FOR YOU TO DRIVE AND THEN DECIDE IF ITS SAFER AND BETTER TO INVEST IN A FLASHY OBJECT OR IN SOMETHING THAT IS SENSIBLE TO YOU ALL THE BEST.

• Shailen |18 Aug,2014 01:38:36 AM

Thanks Rikhit , Am going for the New VW Polo 1.2 ltr MPI Highline , U rightly said , All cars are White Elephants , No match for Quality for German Cars , Hyundai i20 Features are so many loaded , which I will not require much , My monthly usage will be less than 500 km & mostly in City , rarely on the Highways. I have been researching a lot on this for past 1 yr or so & finally have booked Polo & going for it. Thanks for a good advice Best Rgds

pranav |24 Nov,2014 10:46:44 AM

i am also planing to buy polo mpi 1.2 (P) how is you experience so far with it. Initially i as thinking about buying the dezire or other maruti variant, but recently there was NCAP reports published about swift getting on 3 stars(with aribags latin american model manufactured in manesar plant), so double thinking about it, i am only considering to buy this car is because of it's 4 star rating by NCAP. I have heard lot of bad reviews about it's service and and high cost of maintenance, did you felt the same.How is the ground clearance for this new 2014 model. Does it have a automatic lock feature (gates automatically gets locked after the vehicle attains 20KMPH)..

• Rishi |21 Aug,2014 10:09:26 PM

plz help me ppl.. is it worthy to buying a NEW POLO can any one tell me its millage and maintenance .

• Pawan choudhary |28 Sep,2014 01:07:12 AM

I planning for new wv 1.5 polo disel can . And what will be the millage of the car my running is nearly 1200-1500 km per month

Sourabh |29 Sep,2014 03:30:30 PM

Hey Pawan, Pls check my New Polo Experience in the below thread..

• Sourabh |29 Sep,2014 03:24:46 PM

Hi Guys, Its been 1.5 months i am driving New VW Polo 1.5 TDI Highline in bangalore and i am extremely happy with the performance which includes driving comfort and Service,Yes the service of VW has improved drastically, my car met a minor accident on the first week itself and trust me guys the response from VW regarding the service was appreciable unlike what i expected from them.Since i m owning a top model so i can say the interiors are as good as elite i20 but few features are missing but i dont mind their absence..The only feature i would have loved in New Polo is rear parking camera which i20 offers.i am getting around 17 or 18 KMPL easily on highways which is much better considering it is only one month old.within the city i get 12/13 KMPL which is the best one can get in bangalore..my city driving is around 700 to 800 KMs Per Mnth..I take my car very often to the highways..

• Subhash |16 Jan,2015 08:07:00 PM

I am going for new VW polo 1.5 TDI. I feel it's worth paying bit more for safety than considering flashy looks of Hyundai and maruti cars.