My horrifying experience while braking

By for Maruti Swift Dzire from KERALA 2012-03-28 22:56:37.0
  • Appearance

Pros : Value for money, fuel efficiency

Cons : Very poor braking, looks

Look and Style: Reasonably good looks.

Comfort: Commendable in its class.

Pickup: Descent.

Mileage: No complaints, it gives a reasonably good mileage 16-17 kmpl.

Needs to improve: Braking and power steering.

Overall Experience:  I have mixed emotions to share with all of you.  I am owning this vehicle for 3 weeks. Overall experience has been good, save for a couple of very close encounters, when I almost drove into a truck from behind and almost drove through a crowd at very low speeds. These issues cropped up on my trip from Kottayam to Thrissur on the State highway.  I was driving the car at about 20-25 kmph on a traffic lined road.  It was then when the truck in front of me had to stop abruptly to save a pedestrian while crossing.  Taken unawares I applied the brakes and the car did not stop as expected and I almost hit the truck from behind. The same evening while I had been driving at about 10-15 kmph on a road when a procession was moving, I had to apply the brakes to make way for the crowd of people to move and my brakes did not budge when I applied them.  My heart skipped a couple of beats and I had to pull the handbrakes to bring the car to a halt.  I gather that there is some problem with the Power assist while driving at very slow speeds.  I talked to the service people and they too opined that even the Ritz too has the same problem.  If this is true, I must say that Maruti Engineers should be looking into the issue with great seriousness and find remedial measures immediately. I have done only 1045 kms in my new car and I had in the meanwhile taken the car to the service centre but to no avail.   Hope Maruti would be looking into the issue very seriously.'Tony Jacob, Mob:9656304824

• Sam |29 Mar,2012 10:35:59 AM

Mr. Jacob planning to buy this car the ZXI version. Are you still facing such issues on the braking. Now iam seriously reconsidering my decision. Is the braking bad at high speeds too..bcos the ABS is present

Tony Jacob |29 Mar,2012 11:18:55 PM

Friend, I will not say that its the same case at higher speeds, cos I seldom drive more than 90 kmph. The braking seemed to be good at those speeds. By putting up the above review I did not mean to underestimate the car. But that definitely is a problem... for I had experienced that and want to make sure it reaches the right places.

Jagdish |06 Apr,2012 10:37:21 AM

Hi Sam I have just purchased ZXI I think braking is OK. May be the problem is specific to one particular car.I will update you more

Samuel |15 May,2012 06:57:31 PM

Hi, Just wanted to let you people know that this is not with only one car. I bought Swift Dzire in the month of April 2012. I already experienced the brake problem three times. All of a sudden brakes become tight & the vehicle wont stop. One of my friends also bought Dzire last week & he also had the same problem. As the vehicle was not stopping he banged the car on to an Alto going in the front. Please be cautious while driving in high speeds as this is the problem in engineering of brake assembly. Maruti should do something about this. I am not sure who will be held responsible if any fatal accident occurs.

Sivabalan |12 Apr,2012 05:58:57 AM

Hi, Dont worry this is a common issue in all power assisted brakes of different brand. Increase the the throttle a bit and your brakes will works fine. Regards, Sivbal

Ramesh |27 Aug,2012 08:35:04 AM

Yes. I have purchased a new Swift VXI on December 2011. My car brakes does not function well while driving through slow moving traffic as well as 100 Kmph speed. Met several small hits and a major accident at a highway. Brake pedal becomes hard to apply once it has been used a couple of times while driving at speeds under 20 kilometers with half clutch.

• Prasannakumar |29 Mar,2012 10:01:55 PM

I am not sure how Tony finds problems with Swift Dzire!!! My friend has it and says it is awesome. 3 week experience is such a small period to give reviews !!!

Tony Jacob |30 Mar,2012 01:02:02 AM

Dear Prasannakumar, I definitely agree with you that 3 weeks is too short a period for a review. But I am sure my car has this braking problem at slow speeds and I had taken my car to the Service centre with the issue being raised but to no avail. My first service is coming up soon and I shall be able to give you the status then. Then coming to your friends case, may be he has more often rode on roads with smooth traffic. But I am sure one cannot deny another persons experience and this is being put up with no offence intended.

• Tony Jacob |29 Mar,2012 11:27:05 PM

Dear Prasannakumar, I fully agree that 3 weeks is too short a period for a review. But one cannot deny that I had experienced this on quite a few occasions while going at slow speeds. I do not intend to demean Maruti as well. Perhaps I may correct this after my first service, if the problem is resolved. But I will definitely carry the issue to its logical end if my issue is still not sorted out.

Sam |30 Mar,2012 10:11:17 AM

Dear Tony, may be its a car specific issue and would get sorted out post the first service. Im sure if the car is selling like hot cakes with waiting periods of over 6 months for the diesel one..this problem would have come to the fore and people would have raised this issue. Considering that people are generally happy with the running of the car as per the other reviews i assume that it could be a car specific issue. Pls do let us know the status post the serive. Awaiting your reply. Thanks

Tony Jacob |30 Mar,2012 10:42:14 PM

Dear Sam, I acknowledge your understanding of the issue with sensible reasoning. The intention of the post was to extract info from other readers if they had ever experienced such a case. May this is car specific and hope this gets resolved after the first service. My plight was that after raising the issue to the service centre with the complaints marked on a piece of paper, they returned the car after marking the sheet that the issue has been attended to and rectified. Thanks Sam for the patient understanding. Tony

Sam |30 Mar,2012 11:10:36 PM

Dear Tony, Thanks for the reply and I hope your problem gets resolved. Drive safe and all the best.

• JAGDISH |30 Mar,2012 09:59:17 PM

Hi, Mr Tony I have also booked ZXI ,Is the problem of braking still persist in your Car or it has been resolved it would be good if you directly report to MUL instead of Dealer. Wish you a safe and Happy Driving. It is good to know that you are not speeding.

Tony Jacob |30 Mar,2012 10:43:45 PM

Thanks Jagdish.... will post you of the developments after the first service. May be as you suggested I may have to take up the issue with the Company rather than the Dealer. Tony

• Ram |31 Mar,2012 07:23:36 PM

Hi Mr Tony, I am planning to book VDI or AT model. But your experience is quite alarming. Definitely its a very serious issue. MUL must address the problem. As suggested by Mr Jagdish please make a strong complaint to MUL. now I'll wait for some more time to book. Thanks for your prompt response and wish you a happy driving

• Suhail Ahmad |04 Apr,2012 07:39:24 AM

I brought new dzire vxi 7 weeks ago but i have no such problem.i im happy to drive dzire vxi and also it is gives mileage i think 20km above.

• Ravinder |09 Apr,2012 11:40:11 AM

Hi, I got delivery of new Swift Dezire VXI (petrol)just 3 days back in Bangalore. I have also experienced the problem with brakes while driving in traffic with slow speed (15-20 km/hr),I tried to apply brakes but the brake padel did not work (it has happebned 2-3 times). I am yet to contact Maruti Dealer. Now I am worried if there is a defect in this particulat model?

Tony Jacob |10 Apr,2012 11:31:48 PM

Hello Ravinder and all my friends who had responded to my post. I still persist that this problem cannot be generalised, but I am glad to know atleast one person in the group has experienced this issue. It could only be car specific, but Maruti should not be leaving the issue at this. I had taken my car to the Service centre for my first service. I however could not get the problem rectified. I would like to know whether Ravinder had experienced the problem while engaging the car in the reverse gear also. I have experienced this also while moving in the reverse gear also I now believe this issue crops up only when the car is moving at a speed of 0-15 kmph only. To some of you this issue may sound very flimsy, but on a crowded street there is a possibility of ramming into the back of the vehicle or a person in front of your car. The Service people have again taken my car back and they had confirmed the existence of the problem in my car and had advised that they are cleaning the discs and handing it over tomorrow probably. I am yet skeptical as I do not experience the problem at higher speeds. May be I shall be giving you an update in a weeks time. Bye for now.

Ravinder |11 Apr,2012 01:24:52 AM

Hello Tony, Please do let us know the outcome after you get your car back. I also went to the dealer and as per service supervisor the problem could be due to the reason if brake padel is pressed repeatdly in succession. As of now no corrective action has been taken from maruti service people. However, I was told to observe and let them know if I face this issue again.

John |19 Apr,2012 04:01:50 PM

Hello guys ,,,,i too had same problem..as am a automobile engineering student i have analysd this and have submitted a paper also....i have explained in brief regarding this issue....this problem of brake not working in low speeds (10-15kmph) will be only in petrol vehicles ...the reason is thaet in petrol vehicles the vaccum required for braking is taken from engine cylinder directly and so in low speed the vaccum will b very less and thus affecting the braking ..so t better to apply the clutch and brake both at low sppeeds ..this will be observed in most of the petrol vehicles wer the engine capacity is less (meanin cc) and torque requird is high ...the same problem will not be in diesel as there will be a separate vaccum pump for brakess... and to conclude ,this problem will occur only when u press ur brakes 2-3 times continuously with very less time gap between the time of pressing the brake pedal ..you can also test it in some controlled environment....

phil |27 Feb,2013 04:23:29 PM

Jhon ,your analysis corect.Thanks

arun kesarwani |14 May,2014 12:56:42 PM

I own a Maruti Swift Dzire VXI petrol and having the same problem that brakes suddenly get tight at slow speed after pressing 2-3 times . I went to service centre many times they take test drive and said that it is ok.....this time again when I went to service centre after approx. 2 yaers they told that problem in gas cylinder and need replacement but they are not sure as it cost 4000 rupees...............So pls suggest what I have to do.

• Sandy |09 Apr,2012 03:31:08 PM

Hello all, I will be Booking new Swift Zxi next week. Is this problem mentioned only on models without ABS. Or even Zxi with ABS. Kindly respond at earliest.

raj |01 Jun,2012 09:51:10 AM

After this review I dont want to go for swift thanks for your review

• Jagdish |13 Apr,2012 10:31:54 PM

Hi Sandy its been 1 week I got my delivery of ZXI I have no issues with brakes . I think ABS is awesome but SEAT BELTS should be used. Tomorrow I would be working more on brakes and let you know the complete result.

• John |19 Apr,2012 03:38:28 PM

• Jagdish |09 May,2012 11:59:06 AM

So far NO issues with ZXI

• Jerald |26 May,2012 11:59:29 AM

thanks for sharing your reviews on this post Tony. do u have any further updates on ur VXI. going by John's logic, wonder why no other car has this problem with braking at low speeds?!

• Edi |30 May,2012 03:01:14 PM

My two cents, I had taken a test drive of Maruti Swift Demo car with mandovi motors Bangalore. This was a petrol vehicle. I faced similar issues related to braking at very low speeds. When I asked the sales guy sitting next to me he said there is no problem and the car is fine. I thought may be I was not driving properly and just ignored it until I read this post.

• shubham |13 Jan,2013 01:53:22 AM

hi everyone.. i booked vxi model 2 days back... i wana knw is d prblm still dre coz i read at cartoq.com tht maruti is calling the cars back in the mnth of aug nd rectifying the problem. pls reply me soon tht if the prob is still.there then i can get my booking cancelled.

• arun |14 May,2014 01:03:23 PM

I own a Maruti Swift Dzire VXI petrol and having the same problem that brakes suddenly get tight at slow speed after pressing 2-3 times . I went to service centre many times they take test drive and said that it is ok.....this time again when I went to service centre after approx. 2 yaers they told that problem in gas cylinder and need replacement but they are not sure ...............So pls anyone suggest what I have to do and how this problem may get ressolved.