A disappointing purchase

for 1.5 Ti VCT MT Titanium

I regret having bought this car. I had never owned a Ford before and I didn't do enough research before buying it, assuming that a company that practically invented the assembly line and has been making cars for more than 100 years would have nothing to offer but good quality. Too late I realized that in the US, fewer and fewer people are buying Fords citing bad product quality relative to European and Japanese cars.On the plus side, this car handles very well. The steering is very light and the interiors are fairly quiet. Finishing is good. So far, my passengers find it comfortable, both in the front and in the rear. Its automated airconditioning system is pretty good too, although once summer comes maybe rear side passenger vents will be found desirable. On the negative side, unfortunately, I can point out more negatives than positives:
The car is not designed for people who are taller than about 5'3". I like to have my driver seat positioned relatively close to the steering wheel, with the seat height raised a little. In this position, my head bangs the visor almost everytime I enter the car. The mileage is pathetic. I get no more than 8 kmpl in normal (slow moving) Bangalore traffic on my petrol version without using the AC, and up to 8.5 kmpl on a highway. This is absolutely ridiculous, and nowhere close to their claimed and advertised mileage. Ford's standard response when I report this problem is to insist on a test drive of about 100 to 150 km with a fresh tank of fuel to verify the mileage themselves before they will even investigate the problem. Disgusting attitude of denial. When I told a service manager that this is the figure I got both on the cluster readout as well as by a simple manual verification test, he finally admitted that it is the actual mileage to expect. Generally Ford Service seems more interested in claiming service coupons and talking nicely rather than doing. They have approached me a ridiculous number of times for feedback on the dealer after service visits, but not once do they solicit feedback about the car quality and about my impressions of Ford Motors India. The gear shift is remarkably unsmooth. Even small cars these days have much smoother gear shifts. The dealer replaced some clutch cable for me, but I don't find any improvement after that whatsoever. The inbuilt stereo system (which cannot be changed) has poor sound quality, with too much damping of higher frequency notes. Even a cheap mp3 player has better sound quality than what comes with this car. The screen navigation design sucks. It took me an hour of frustrating attempts to find out how to stream music over bluetooth from a mobile. The user manual is silent on it and I finally got the answer from a helpful youtube video that another Ecosport owner posted. The light switch (which one would expect to be controlled on a stem attached to the steering column) is an old-fashioned knob placed at knee level on the dashboard near the driver's door. Almost every time I exit the vehicle my knee hits it and sometimes accidentally turns the lights on. It's very irritating. A major flaw is that there is too much software control over the car. One problem with this is that if electrical power is lost due to something like battery failure (for example), certain critical functions are disabled and there is (very suprisingly) no manual backup. For example, if the battery fails the passenger doors cannot be locked!! This presents a security issue. If you cannot start and drive the car, and you have to leave it somewhere while you go looking for help, you will need to leave the car unlocked. Also, when there is no power, the rear door cannot be opened because it has an electronic switch without a manual backup. Again, this is rather ridiculous, extremely amateur design thinking. I had my first engine malfunction warning light appearing in less than 7 days of taking delivery of the car. It was duly collected for investigation, and I was told that the problem was an improperly tightened air filter hose bolt, which was apparently not a big deal. Something that small causes an engine malfunction warning indication? At low speeds the car drives fine, but as you accelerate you are reminded that it has just a 1.5 litre engine. It feels a bit underpowered when going up steep inclines as well, even in first gear. By design and in performance it is not a real SUV by any stretch of the imagination. The clutch needs to be pressed too completely in order to start the car, but it engages very early as you release it to start moving. This means that in low gears you can't help jerking it a little bit now and then. It takes some getting used to. The keyless ignition is scary, to say the least, but that's a personal reaction. Other customers may find it useful. If your engine is running and you happen to drive away but forget to take the remote along with you,........... all the best!! There is something to be said for having a good old fashioned key that is stuck in its slot while the engine is running, and safely in your pocket when it is not. All in all, I've found this car to be vastly overrated. I don't find enough negative feedback on the internet, so either I have a faulty piece, or Ford's online publicity management is good. I suspect it's the latter.

By mario
On: Mar 04, 2017 | 4288 Views

Write your Comment on Ford Ecosport

4 comments
G
gagan
Nov 15, 2017 10:39:19 PM

I am planning to purchase this car due to it's ground clearance and height, should i this purchase or not. I recently sell my new Honda City Petrol V 2017 just after 7 months. Car was fine but i was not comfortable with it's sitting, it's very low end car and my height is 5 feet 10 inch and i have back problem too so entry and exit was not comfortable. If ford is not good then which SUV you would prefer for me?

D
d.bhaumik
Dec 29, 2017 8:31:12 PM

First of all , these are not SUVs. SUVs are vehicles with 4X4 powertrains or 4WD. These vehicles have been introduced in India to provide a SUV type look to customer who actually care less about off-roading. These cars mainly buld on sedan chassis eg. Toyota Innova use Camery chassis. Among this category if you don't like Ecosport you can try S-cross (1.6) or Creta. Creta is undoubtedly the best one in this segment.

Feb 21, 2018 7:33:04 PM

Absolutely! This car is NOT an SUV. I used to own a Tata Safari, and there is no comparison at all between the two in terms of raw power, solidity, ruggedness, and off-road capability. The Safari may be old, but it's a true SUV. There are very few real SUVs in the Indian market.

d
    dr t m s prasad
    May 22, 2017 9:19:37 AM

toyota etios vxd 2017 golden color best on the road diesel in kerala rgds dr panicker

May 18, 2017 10:15:12 AM

I forgot to add that it's the petrol variant. I would also change my review of the performance from a bit underpowered to very underpowered, particularly in 2nd and 3rd gear, even on a straight, flat road. But the biggest issue is the mileage. With very careful driving within the efficiency band I have managed to get a maximum of 8.5 km/litre. For such a shockingly low mileage I would expect this car to at least accelerate well, but of course it doesn't. It feels anemic.

j
      jaswinder singh
      Jun 23, 2017 9:15:13 PM

What about Elite i20 top model, diesel ??

Jun 24, 2017 7:30:59 PM

Sorry, Sir, I don't know about the Elite i20. I own a Ford, and I did not compare it with the Elite at the time of purchase.

m
      manish
      Feb 21, 2018 6:13:24 PM

sir Wt about NEW Ecosport PETROL 1.5MT

Feb 21, 2018 7:41:31 PM

Sorry, Mr. Manish, I don't know about the new Ecosport. I only know about my own. Perhaps those who have bought the new one can advise you.

manish menon
        Feb 21, 2018 6:17:02 PM

iam planning to purchase this car petrol varient now iam confused because of its mileage......

Feb 21, 2018 7:29:24 PM

Not only is the mileage very poor, it does not even have good pickup or power. It struggles to overtake, and it doesn't have enough power to climb up even gentle slopes unless it's in 1st or 2nd gear. My old Hyundai i10 had far better pickup than this car. At least if the power was good it could have been a reason for the pathetic mileage, but if both are bad then what's the point?

Feb 21, 2018 7:36:07 PM

I got better mileage (up to 15-16 kmpl) only by driving at a steady 60-65 kmph on a flat, straight highway with absolutely no braking or gear changing. But since it's power is very limited, even if the highway has a slight upward gradient or curves, you need to change gear and the mileage immediately plummets when you accelerate. Rubbish vehicle. I remain disappointed.

Ford EcoSport User Reviews

4.6/5
            Based on954 User reviews
            Write a Review and Win
            200 Paytm vouchers & an iPhone 7 every month!
            Iphone
            • LATEST
            • VERIFIED
            • CRITICAL
            • Fun drive.

Its a power-packed car with a great ride quality, better handling, and dynamics, top variants are feature-packed too, the diesel engine has the good refinement and good p...Read More

By yash bhalekar
              On: Dec 05, 2019 | 277 Views
            • THE MOST ENTHUSIASTIC CAR TO DRIVE.

Its been 2 years since power pack performance has been offered. It has the best handling and has the most powerful engine comparing with its rivals. I really enjoy while ...Read More

By siddharth pathak
              On: Dec 02, 2019 | 778 Views
            • Amazing driving experience.

It's a very good and comfortable car for Indian families. Wonderful mileage, smooth driving experience, whether in urban or rural areas.

By amit kumar shah
              On: Dec 03, 2019 | 43 Views
            • Best car in the segment.

I have been using Ford Ecosport from 7-8 months and I have driven 20,000 km so far. The performance is fantastic and the power of this car is very high. Obviously its the...Read More

By abhinav sharma
              On: Nov 28, 2019 | 352 Views
            • All over its very good car.

Space, build quality, and mileage is awesome. If this car is rated all over it should get 4 out of 5.

By abhishek mishra
              On: Dec 03, 2019 | 24 Views
            • Best car.

Its a very good car and it has an excellent suspension. It has a very good display and excellent engine. The color options are very good.

By rajita amonker
              On: Dec 01, 2019 | 20 Views
            • Best car for your money & time

I bought the Ecosport in 2016, which is a diesel to end model titanium plus. And I'm sure that this car is the best value for money car, with a lot of features. Safety is...Read More

By jithin vm
              On: Nov 27, 2019 | 146 Views
            • Devil, The Beast

Ford Ecosport is really the fully-loaded compact SUV that fullfill all your requirements. The design is really like a beast and the body is really much stronger than any ...Read More

By piyush goyal