Good Car overall, but poor mileage in petrol variant.

By for Chevrolet Sail Hatchback 2013-01-12 23:30:36.0
  • Appearance

Pros : Good looks, Space, less costlier than i20

Cons : Poor mileage in petrol variant.

I purchased a Sail UVA LS ABS model from Kaysons Motors, Siliguri on 08/12/2012. I was the first customer of the petrol variant. Initially, i had booked an I20 Magna(Optional), but as i saw the new Sail model in ads and the net, i decided to go for the Sail UVA as it is less costly and gives more mileage than I20. But i am getting only 12 km/litre instead of the 18.20 as advertised for the petrol variant. After the first checkup in a month, the company people are telling me that i will be getting better mileage after 5000 kms. But i am sceptical about it. Overall, it is a good car in looks, space and comfort. Pickup is also good and if i can get 15 kms/litre in the highway, i will be satisfied. The front side looks good, but the back view is not up to the mark. Also if the power window controls were inthe door itself, it would have been easier to perform the window functions while driving. As instead of the front window sometimes i happen to press the rear window switch while driving. And the horn switches are not easy to operate while turning the steering.

• K.Narayanan |13 Jan,2013 10:36:52 AM

sail-uva nice look car...

Benny |01 Feb,2013 02:30:25 AM

Hello, I have one question? Some reviewers stated that the petrol engine is too noisy, is that correct in your experience?

• R.P. Dutta |13 Jan,2013 09:10:04 PM

Hi! Mr Narayanan, I just finished my first tankful of petrol on the Sail U-VA LS ABS and the mileage is a satisfactory 13.88km to the litre with 30 per cent AC on and completely self-driven within Kolkata, where traffic is invariably heavy. Just a thought: have you been driving yourself or do you have a driver? Try not to rev the engine too much. I've noticed that the Saul U-VA pulls well even at low RPMs (I seldom exceed 2000) and you would certainly get a better performance and mileage by using the right gear ratios, Happy and safe mile munching on the wonderful (and underrated) Sail U-VA!

Aroop Jyoti Gohain Baruah |17 Jan,2013 08:30:46 PM

Thanx for your suggestions. I drive my car myself.

• R.P. Dutta |13 Jan,2013 09:24:17 PM

Apologies, I wrongly addressed Mr Gohain Baruah as Mr Narayanan. Funny that one Assamese should do that to another Assamese!

Aroop Jyoti Gohain Baruah |17 Jan,2013 08:33:58 PM

May i ask you about ur hometown. Mine is Sivasagar and i work in RAIGANJ, W.B.

RP Dutta |17 Jan,2013 10:00:57 PM

Hi! Aroop, I am from Jorhat. My mother's hometown is Sonari, not far from Sivasagar. You can mail me at rituparnadutta123@gmail.com

• Jeevan |14 Jan,2013 01:55:37 AM

Hi. I bought LS ABS diesel.. Which gives awesome mileage. For me in 21 litre it gives 456km from chennai to my native. My advice for better mileage. Don't exceed more than 80km speed for first 5000km. Drive ur car in 60-80km with rpm between 1.5-2x1000rpm... U can check this on ur digital rpm meter. Then follow this & post ur comment how is works for u...

Sundarresan |25 Jan,2013 10:59:06 PM

Hi I am sundarresan. I went for test drive in SAIL UVA and I like it. I want to buy a new car. Oscillation is bet sail, swift and figo. Can I go for sail.

• Hardik |26 Jan,2013 05:14:15 PM

Hi Guys! I am planning to buy Sail U-VA Pertrol LT. I need your suggestions.

vamshikrishna.M |18 Mar,2013 10:51:08 PM

u better to go for diesel variant., its good completely.,

• K. Prasad |26 Jan,2013 09:10:35 PM

good looking hatchback car.very specious&comfertable seating for long trevelling with faimly.it is useful for middle class faimly fullfill all the requirment during travelling.

• saurabh |03 Feb,2013 08:59:48 AM

Hi, Can anybody advice more on petrol variant mileage and over all car performance? Thanks in advance...

• Avinash |13 Feb,2013 07:09:01 PM

Hii all, I am ashutosh Jha, i own LT abs petrol from dec 25th and have driven 4030kms so far. regarding mileage, i am really disappointed. pick up is not as good as stats suggest, specially when you switch from 2nd to 3rd gear. space is best feature, suspension quality is not good, it should be more stiff as my car consistently hits the patches and bumps on road while even swift and waganor doesn't in same speed. interiors are not as good, feels like plastic and finishing near floor could have been better. ovrms r not folded electrically, it can only be adjusted. overall mileage is a real concern, if it promise 15/kmpl in city why i m getting 11-12 kms/litre? hope my review will be helpful. still riding quality and steering is joyous. and exteriors r awsome for me. is a real big car and good for family of 5-6, the rear seat can adjust 4 avg persons cauz of leg space.

Abhishek |15 Apr,2013 07:02:39 PM

Hi, I got My sail petrol driven nearly 1000 KM, 1st service is due, I got my vechicle from Bangalore to Kannur(kerala), filled in full tank when @ 422 KM from bangalore, travelled through bangalore mysore - Hunsur - Nagarahole - Wayanad - Koothuparamba - Kannur - Payyanur (400 KM). I did the next full tank @ 965 KM @ kasaragod with another 37 Ltr or petrol Mileage = (965 - 422) / 37 = 14.67 KM / Ltr (AC on, on highways and off in city/ slow moving traffic, may be 70% on) , which is quite good, having 1st service not yet done. I am not commenting on space, only figo and Liva comes close :) , comfort is excellent , Driving position is excellent (i 'm 5 ' 6 )..I got my Base petrol varient with 40K accessories with 5.5 Lac on road. True value for money

• manoj |23 Apr,2013 10:33:19 PM

shuld i buy petrol uva

• Utpal Rajbanshi |19 Jun,2013 11:56:30 AM

I appreciate the opinion as I am also the same sufferer. I am getting less than 10 km in city (with AC). The pickup of the vehicle is not in conformity with the torque. I have not yet registered the vehicle and wish I could return in beck. Ironically this is my 4th Chevrolet vehicle and all the faith accumulated is washed away.

Patel |08 Nov,2013 10:57:10 PM

I am completely disappointed with Sail Sedan Petrol Variant.. Cons: 10Km/ltr in city with AC. Suspension poor (you feel all the thrust while driving) Gear knob and steering is worst. Engine throttles while pickup and makes noise. Low pickup Gear shifting is not smooth Service center has changed its linkage 2 times for suspension issue, but it still happens. Only thing i like in this car is its looks.. no other car has such exterior looks.

• Anurag |14 Aug,2013 03:13:34 PM

I am planing to buy petrol base version for my family, my monthly driving average is around 1000 km only so not going for diesel version. i am 6-1'' in height and can any body tell me if i will be comfortable while driving? I live in hilly area so a bit concerned about mileage too.

• rajshekhar mathapati |15 Aug,2013 06:53:40 PM

i bought sail uva petrol base model. good in all aspects except the mileage. Company should stop showing rosy pictures to the customers about its mileage. otherwise it has to face music in consumer forums..

• bis |18 Nov,2013 12:57:17 PM

nice ...spacious..comfort with family...look is amazing.... mileage not tat much bad... will get servicing next week... let see..expecting more comfort and convenient

• Nidhi |31 Dec,2013 04:08:20 PM

Planning to buy my first car.. Should this be the one? I have read v mixed reviews on this one from other websites.

Aroop Jyoti Gohain Baruah |07 Feb,2014 09:57:30 PM

Folks! after my 1st real Servicing at 10000 kms, i am getting improved mileage of around 17 kpl without AC as it is now winter. What remains to be seen is the mileage i will get during summer with AC. Overall, i am fully satisfied with the car and i feel it is the most spacious and comfortable hatch-back you will find in Indian roads, as i have driven BRIO, I-20, FIGO, etc. Also, i should put in a word for Kaysons Motors, Siliguri, as i have found them to be the most responsive & sensitive dealer and they have addressed my concerns in a professional manner.

• Vijay Bhave |16 Oct,2014 10:02:43 PM

Eagerly waiting for my new chivy sail hatchback. while taking a stroll in the evening with my wife, this white beauty passed through and both of us simultaneously said WOW. No one can resist second look. after researching a lot and talking to many owners I finally booked Petrol LS ABS. waiting for it :)

• hamid |24 Dec,2015 10:56:42 PM

I am planning to buy sail uva ls abs any suggestions please