Chevrolet Spark; the average looking average car

By for Chevrolet Spark from Jaipur 2012-05-21 12:03:53.0
  • Appearance

Personally the experience that I have had with Chevrolet Spark hasn’t been really good. I finally understood why Chevrolet India gives a 3 years warranty. This car is good if one changes their car every 2-3 years. Right when the warranty got over, the visits to the service centre increased. The car is cheap no doubt but the spare parts are priced sky high. This was my first car that I bought out of my own pocket and I am not happy with it, more because of the service that I get every time I have to visit the service centre. For the first 2 years the car drove well and comfortable but the mileage of the Chevrolet Spark has been around 12kmpl or even less at times. The engine is silent and on a high speed of 100kmph also I didn’t feel the car vibrate. As I read somewhere that the riding quality of the Spark is much better than the Wagon-R. I agree initially it is but when it comes to maintenance and longevity, Spark is nowhere close to Wagon R. Wagon R, though I haven’t used it but I believe that since it is a Maruti, the spare parts and service is cheap in terms of money, quick and world class. I am sure that with a Maruti Wagon R you don’t make as many visits to the service station that you have to make for Chevrolet Spark, sometimes for the AC repairs and sometimes because the headlight bulb has fused. The suspension though is pretty decent, but since this is my first car and I haven’t really driven any other car for this long so I can’t say how good it is in comparison to others. The boot space is small, of course because of the small dimensions, but then I guess that’s something that we can compromise on because the benefit of this small size is the easy parking. I am not really disappointed as such because the Chevrolet Spark price range is such that I didn’t expect much anyway. But more of the negativity comes due to the poor and hassled after sale service that I get. I agree that General Motors India has limited service centers but whatever little number that they have, the service at those centers is also pathetic. I wouldn’t particularly suggest this car to anyone. After the test drive I was very sure that this would be fantastic but after 2.5 years I realized that the test drive was deceiving and there is more that goes into purchasing a car than just taking a test drive. But as they say there’s always a first time, purchasing Spark was my first time and now I am sure that I won’t end up making the same mistakes that I did while purchasing this hatchback.

• Venkateshwaran |24 May,2012 11:23:24 PM

I fully agree. GM is for the elite who can afford to to use the car extensively claim depreciation and after three years or 60,000 km sell it away at what ever price it fetches. My personal experience with an Optra was that I got it for a song but I had to spend more than 50,000 Rupees for repairs and the Company refused to even give a simple Nylon bush across the counter they said we will tow the car here or we will come to the location and replace it. I was then scared to take the car out so I sold it for a Pathetic sum of 2.4 Lacks. I can never forget the experience,The service center Manager looked down upon me when I used to have a closer look at the bills. He even said this is a Luxury Car. As if I did not know, my misfortune I purchased the used car that no one else wanted as the deal looked too good to believe which it was. On the flip side I I were to buy a New car and then wanted to sell it The Chevrolet with its reputation for Expensive spares and service would only fetch me less than half the price. So Guys even if it is too tempting and the suspension, steering and Music system look too good please do not touch such cars even with a Barge poll,not unless of course you are the Elite category. After all the Car is meant for a purpose and that purpose is not affordability or resale. Long Live GM Long Live Cars like Opel Corsa, Optra,Spark,Beat,Aveo & UVA and any other car that has the Priveliged support OF GM INDIA.

vinoo |05 Dec,2013 03:29:38 PM

I fully agree with you. Bad service and high priced parts . I wonder , if they know the meaning of quality and reliability and customer service. Even a car like Spark, cannot give a bearing life of more than 15,000kms. This is pathetic. Most bearing replacements,if any in other cars happen at 80,000kms .The car also had electrical problems ,other than mechanical ones. Definitely manufacturing defects which are overlooked and land up in the marketplace. It does not look like , GM has a proper strategy for attracting customers.

• sravan |25 May,2012 12:17:16 PM

I fully agree . I too hav the same experience with SPARK. AS they give 3 yrs free maintanance most of the time my car is in the garage itself. Milage is pathetic.Horrible Car.If asked for more milage they'll cut down the pick up.hardly 9-11kmpl in city limits,14-15kmpl highways.

• sravan |25 May,2012 12:18:03 PM

• Bhushan S.Ruikar |25 May,2012 01:12:21 PM

I am agree with another comments.Spark Average is very Poor hardly 10 Km in AC & Non AC 12 to 13 in City or Highway u go anywhere that Petrol Segment this average is very poor.I have Santro is also petrol Santrol have 15 km in City & 17 km in Highway in AC.One thing is good that his price is low & 3 years maintenance but in maintenance most of the part is not covered.If the car develop the average or any diesel model is launch the Spark going to rush the market like Swift or Beat.

• sam |29 May,2012 10:32:35 PM

Value for money car.. I totally disagree with the comment that the car is not good..In fact this cute car is good in every respect, very comfortable and it is even a bit wider than the wagon r jus compare it with both the cars broechures and can sit 5 adult persons comfortably, nice pick up but the only problem i felt is with the notchy gear shift, otherwise its a 1000 cc car and the mileage I get with the AC is 15-16 which is quite decent and talking abt the prices of spares, u guys need to check it just compare it with marutis alto, spark spares are cheaper and no wonder it has won the JD power asia pacific award 4 years in a row, and people who have complained of poor milege aint be knowing driving a car..

• sam |29 May,2012 10:36:36 PM

• Joe |30 Jun,2012 08:47:19 PM

Hello, Iam now planning to buy a car and there are 2 options in front of me (ie Chevorlet spark and Hyundai Eon. I know that Eon has better milage compared to spark, but as the experience users in either of the cars, can any one help me to take a better decision, in terms of both cars maintenance, milage, conferteness, pickup etc etc, because i dont like to visit the service centers frequently after the purchase. Thanks Joe

• Amol |09 Apr,2013 12:20:17 AM

Hi, SPARK is a Value for money car it gives 18KM no AC on Highway and w AC w Avg speed in between 70 to 90 (Constant) will give you valu for money w 16.5vKM w AC Maintenance is on a Higher Side but u get a Genune Park which is More important rather palying w our life 4 Adults can sit comfertable good car for 2+2 family

• SK Ghosh |23 Sep,2014 05:17:38 PM

I have a soft corner of GM, but in this information age how can a company survive without proper service and commitment to words. Really I am confused before change my maruti.