A write up on why I chose Cruze

By for Chevrolet Cruze from Bangalore 2011-03-02 13:57:59.0
  • Appearance

I was researching on all the 5 cars in this segment(Laura, Civic, Jetta, Altis Diesel) and have taken test drives on all of the above mentioned models. Hope some one finds this useful   Jetta - Engine responsiveness is good. The German brand name, quality, performance. But must say that the interiors leave much to be desired(Germans I guess, are not very bothered by this aspect of the car). Come on, the interiors are where you are going to spend 99% of your time and this is one aspect which we should feel comfortable when we are shelling out 15 - 16 lacks of our hard earned money. Drive quality is good though. I am not sure about the maintenance cost (supposedly high).   Altis - Below par performance. You can compare it with those of a lower segment. The interiors are very spacious though and the wooden interiors though not very classy gives you are luxury car feel. Itz an ideal car to be chauffeur driven in(If you fall in that category). Then you have the Toyota tag and the top notch service quality and reliability associated with it. Indians love brand value and that accounts for the huge sale numbers for this brand. But if you enjoy long drives, I would least recommend this car as it is below par in performance   Laura - Interiors to die for. These guys knows what the Indian consumer class(15-20 lac segment) needs and they have tailored their product accordingly. Performance is similar to the Jetta, but somehow when I test drove this one, the 'power feeling' was more. I have 3 friends who have bought the laura and are having huge maintenance issues. This will definitely burn a hole in your pocket.   Civic - One of Hondas best products in India. Reliable, classy and trouble free(based on a review by my colleague who used it for 2 years). There are people who said ground clearance was a problem. I test drove and took some bumps; didn’t find much of a prob. Would recommend this highly if you are ok the Petrol costs.   Cruze - Ideally, you can’t compare the other four with this. This is a BEAST. Seriously. I test drove this and this blew me away. I started the car(Manual Version) and pressed on the accelerator(nothing happened). I was wondering what’s happening and then suddenly the car lurched forward(That was the turbo lag. Once the rpm crosses around 1800 the turbo kicks in and does it give you a kick. Yes it does- A real kick in the back. I am not exaggerating here. Prospective buyers of the Cruze, please test drive the cruze only after you have driven all the other models mentioned above, else you will immediate conjure up the opinion that the others are not good. GM has put some serious thought into this model. The interiors are very sporty and the sun roof is excellent and there are a lot of additional features in the 2011 model(They have changed the color of the leather seats to black). Saying this the turbo lag may be a problem in bumper to bumper traffic; a rather irritating aspect if you were suddenly looking to close some gap in the traffic. The engine is pretty unresponsive at low speeds.  I didn’t find any other issues during the test drive(I took 3 test drives).  So if you are living in a highly congested city and the main reason for your purchase is to commute to office in bumper to bumper traffic, I would recommend the Civic. But take this Cruze to the highway or a lesser congested place and you will just fall in love with it. It overpowers everything in sight.  GM has done an awesome job with this one and I am sure based on reviews the resale price for this is going to go up(GM models usually have lower resale value). Test drive this one to find the different. This is the No 1.   I hope someone finds this useful. I spend a lot of time researching on the 5 cars in this segment and if this helps someone in making up their mind, it will make my day.   Thanks, Paddy

• prads |03 Mar,2011 05:06:15 PM

V nice review Mr.Paddy..

raju desai |28 Jan,2012 09:49:45 PM

one thing not mentioned about cruze is, there is almost no outside noise audible inside the cabin. it is very silent inside while driving which is wonderful - check it out during test drive !

• ROHAN L ANTONY |03 Mar,2011 09:43:06 PM

THIS REVIEW WAS VERY USEFUL TO ME.THANXX

• Sagar |04 Mar,2011 03:44:15 PM

Hey Paddy...I also chose to cruze and took test drive which delivered at doorstep in Pune This machine simply amazigly powerful and it really gives kick to ur back when rpm increases and all other cars starts looking Bullock carts on highways Hats off to GM for such a wonderful Job!!!

Paddy |04 Mar,2011 07:22:21 PM

Yes Sagar, it does gives you a kick...Happy Motoring

J. S. Bajwa |04 Aug,2011 12:19:50 AM

Cruze is a nice car but I don't think that it can be compared to it's german competitors(jetta & Laura)because Airbags cruze-2 Jetta and Laura 8 Music system cruze 6 cd changer, aux, 4 speakers jetta & Laura touch screen audio system, 6 CD, aux, SD card, 10 loudspeakers Cruze coming home lights Jetta and Laura coming home and leaving home lights Jetta and Laura also have significantly larger boot space, more comfort(heated seats,deluxe sport seats, rear Ac vents etc) and roomier interiors Plus you just listen to the sound of the doors of the cars when they close and feel the quality of paints and materials and you'll get to know what (german) quality is. So basically it's like comparing LG with iPhone And the power difference is not much ( And by the way we use our cars to drive on roads, not to plough fields like a tractor)

hitesh |21 Nov,2011 08:45:41 AM

Please check out the price difference btwn Cruze with Laura and Jetta. Features which you have mentioned are bound to be, when you are shelling out more than 18 lacs...Whereas Cruze high end model LTZ costs much less than this....

Sagar |06 Jan,2012 01:16:44 PM

Mr Bajwa, CRUZE machine is far better than jetta and laura Boot space is 550 ltrs which is not bad either. Look wise its better than jetta and laura and inner space too. At the end price...less compare to others in segment with gr8 fuel efficiency and refinement 150PS in just 2.0 ltrs. Its not always Germans on the TOP.VW,Toyota does not make refinement like Japanese do.Just they do give some cosmetics things you mentioned which doesn't help more than machine.

Chetan |06 Jan,2012 12:54:47 PM

Hey Sagar, I am planning to buy a Cruze MT. Not yet decided on LT or LTZ though as i found a very little difference apart from cruise control. Could you please drop your no so I can call and take a little feedback from you. Cheerz, Chetan

Sameer |06 Jan,2012 01:19:59 PM

Please wait for few days...Cruze 2012 is coming with 163PS power :)

Jayanth |23 Aug,2016 06:14:12 PM

Has it already come?

abdul |07 Jan,2016 09:47:25 AM

I wanna buy cruze but I'm little confused of two models LT or LTZ what's the difference btwn the two

• ajay |06 Mar,2011 08:51:22 PM

thanks for ur comments , it's a great help . what do u think of the seats n after sales service of the chevy cruzeiro in Delhi

paddy |06 Mar,2011 10:59:39 PM

I am from bangalore, so can't comment on the Delhi service part. As for the seats, the front one are comfy(Cruze have made some minor modifications for 2011 and have increased the cushioning effect for the seats. The rear seats are a bit cramped and if you are 6 feet then, there is very limited head room, else the rear is fine.

• Vishy |07 Mar,2011 12:48:23 PM

Hmmm... Review is good. In fact Cruze is taking back seat after reading your review. In Mumbai bumper to bumper is the way of driving most of the times. But other options does not have all that is desired. May be I will look at Altis petrol G version. Thanks

• gaurav haralkar |15 Mar,2011 02:11:34 PM

mr.paddy..thanks for such a detailed n very helpful review..i want to ask u is that wether cruze automatic wud be a good option or the manual..i m very confused....i m persoanaly fond of auto trans but my other family members r insisting to go for manual ccoz of the average issue..hav u test drive the auto version hoow does it feels to drive the auto version is it more powerful n nasty than manual....in mumbai they dont offer aouto test drive they only hav the manual version..plz comment

Paddy |15 Mar,2011 02:24:42 PM

Gaurav, The automatic would be best suited for the mumbai roads. I have lived in Mumbai for a year and am well aware of the traffic congestions there. You can always opt for the manual, but if u limit your driving to city traffic then shifting gears constantly as a result of the turbo lag may wear you out. If you go on long drives then, opt for the manual one for the thrill of it :) Happy motoring Cheers, Paddy

• Sanjeev |21 Mar,2011 08:18:21 AM

Hi Paddy I am seriously considering Cruze AT - my only concern in product Quality, after sales service and maintenance costs. I have no experience with GM - did saw few posts from some people reporting problems in service for GM - but these are very few posts - so I am not sure if representative. I live in Delhi - so congested roads - usage - Chauffeur as well as Self drive - about 1800KM per month - mostly in city.

• Amita shrivastava |02 Apr,2011 08:05:41 PM

I was happy when I choose cruze on july 2010, but very soon I realised that I had mistaken, because there is a great technical problem or we can say a falt in cruzeLTZ breaking system and in wheels. When we take turn and feel that we need to take a break then at some time the wheels get jerked and the car skids. Due to this reason I had met 2 accedents.Another problem is that the Bhopal customer care is very poor at its work and is also inefficient.They have spoiled all my interiors and my cars original colour.

• jyotveer khorana |15 Apr,2011 10:29:27 PM

does anyone have an idea about the the cruze automatic mileage in the city and on the highway ?

balaram venkatesh |23 Apr,2011 01:02:38 AM

am told that the cruze automatic delivers 12 kmpl in the city and 16 on the highway.

• Alois |18 Apr,2011 06:30:07 PM

16 - 13.5

Sanjay |20 Apr,2011 02:58:20 PM

sir, whats the mileage of manual on highways and city

balaram venkatesh |23 Apr,2011 01:04:17 AM

the manual am told delivers 13 kmpl in the city and 17 to 18 kmpl on the highway,

• BALARAM VENKATESH |23 Apr,2011 12:55:00 AM

NICE REVIEW...COS HE HAS THOUGHT ON THE VERY SAME LINES THAT AM LOOKING AT THIS CAR(CRUZE LTZ)...AN AMAZING PIECE OF MACHINE FOR THE PRICE.I WISH GM THE VERY BEST ON THEIR ROAD TO RECOVERY.

• Hameed |27 Apr,2011 05:52:27 AM

I am taking delivery of my cruze today, and I find the reviews reassuring. The crammed rear seats appear to be the singular negative. I hope all other aspects would turn to be ample compensation.

• leelams |27 Apr,2011 02:09:39 PM

I am evaluating cruze...AT diesel Bangalore. Like the looks of it..concern abt brakes problem/possible skidding mentioned by someone. Is there a safety issue ? Pls Help.

• Roshan |08 May,2011 10:25:39 AM

There seems to be more space at the rear than people seem to suggest and I'm not a small guy. Plus the boot space is excellent. But what I like most about the Cruze is it's powerful engine and appealing tail lights. My only concerns are the service. Does anyone know how this car can compare against Kizashi and Accord both of which have larger engines and cost more?

• sathvik |26 May,2011 12:01:59 AM

thank yo for lettin me knoe so much abt 'THE CRUZE'.. It really gives yo a nice picture abt the car.

• Rohit |28 May,2011 11:31:51 PM

Eventhough i m a fan of toyota corolla altis,I like cruze very much especially it's sporty looks,rigidity and handling.but i think the service of gm is very poor.

• Dr.George |05 Jun,2011 08:39:31 PM

Genuine review-great!!I own a 5yr old corolla which will be replaced by a Cruz-AT soon.Cruz is the best choice in 12-22L market.

• Satyaban Samal |12 Jun,2011 10:57:10 PM

Im from Bhubaneswar (Odisha) and planning to buy Chevrolet Cruze LT in Aug/ Sep, I was VERY MUCH interested to buy cruze ONLY but im completely demoralized now, Im finding that 8 out of 10 people are complaining about the service, some people are complaning that GM is giving very poor service, not listening, original parts are not avialble etc etc, can someone kindly give an honest advice that if i need to change my decission now looking to all the service problems? Cheers, Satya

tomin |01 Jul,2011 09:30:27 PM

Dont get psych hearing the negative statments.GM service is cheap & genuine.I own a cruz and Tavera for the last 2yrs!

• Vinita Pathania |20 Jun,2011 09:32:37 PM

Planning to buy Cruize, Can someone suggest me what color is the best

• pravin shetty |25 Sep,2011 11:41:24 PM

CRUZE LTZ ONROAD MUMBAI WILL BE EXACTLY 15 LAKHS FIVE THOUSAND.....CONTACT ME FOR ANY INFO...

• raju |07 Oct,2011 07:28:59 PM

Im from coimbatore and planning to buy Chevy Cruze....Stil the day i drov chevy cruze my choic was toyoto altis but nw i changd up my mind to go for Chevy but im bit afraid abt the service backup in coimbatore if any of them s aware of tat pls rply back to my comment soon (rbrkrishnan@gmail.com----tis s my id).

• Jitendra Singh |03 Dec,2011 03:36:59 PM

Great Comments! I was looking for such knowledge about these models, since I am in the Que for buying an efficient version for my family. Thank you Paddy for elaborating nicely.

• Mithun |28 Jan,2012 07:13:40 PM

This review was very helpfull to me. thank you .. Mr.paddy ... :)

• raju desai |28 Jan,2012 09:56:53 PM

indeed informative, appreciate the gentleman taking pains to share with us his experience of test drive of all 5 cars ! real help to guys like us looking to buy such cars without actually going in minute detailing. taking delivery of cruze LTZ AT very soon and paddys reveiws have sort of reassured me - thanks buddy.

Padyy |23 Feb,2012 02:29:26 AM

Thanks mate. Happy motoring

• Motahar Hossain Khan |23 Feb,2012 12:20:52 AM

any body know when 2012 model cruze is come in the market plese tel me couse i want to buy a cruze in this month.

• kumar |02 Apr,2012 06:51:03 PM

i just bought a cruze AT great car no doubt but i don't see any 6 cd changer in it also mileage is very low like 7/8 km in city hope it improves. car is a pleasure to drive ,if you drive a lot on highways this is your car at this price its great.

• sumir |10 Apr,2013 01:09:58 AM

• Manoj |03 Mar,2015 12:56:28 PM

Anybody can advise me which one is best for me. I am planing to buy a Cruz LTZ or Altis. Which one is better. I am from Calicut in Kerala. Also which color will be better look..

Manbir |28 May,2015 12:16:47 PM

I give u a advice please buy a cruze ltz which is best in class

• sandeep patnaik |04 Dec,2015 09:41:25 PM

Guys i have 2 cruze ltz model and i agree that this car is iron man car i give my car to my friend he dint have a car. My driver and my friend was in highway and the car meets an accident with i20 the driver and my friend dont get even a scretch strongcar

• TAPAN |06 Apr,2016 12:55:54 AM

Fully agree with you on your research. I own Honda Civic. Its definitely trouble free for 4 years on Indian bumpy roads. Honda parts r too good hence slightly more expensive compared to its rival Toyota corolla, but the need to change is rare. Its a petrol car and gives bedt mileage amongst its rival petrol cars. Speed/ pick up awsome. AC awsome, and style/ interior are decently good. I do hear Cruze is fantastic diesel car, never drove one, wish to try that one day before i buy one.

• Shyamal Naik |01 Jun,2016 08:51:00 PM

Some Applications give a name to this car THE DIESEL ROCKET and it's 100 % true. Whenever you drive this diesel rocket you car feel that the whole world is in your hand. This is the perfect diesel car for anywhere driving city, highway anywhere.

• raaja |26 Oct,2016 11:36:54 AM

Tell me about mileage of cruze