Is Sail U-VA Diesel it a good buy?

By for Chevrolet Sail Hatchback 2013-08-19 10:54:34.0
  • Appearance

Hi I am planning to buy a diesel car pretty soon, but am really confused between i10-Grand and Sail U-VA. I am reading a lot of negative reports about Sail U-va including some inconsistent reports on its mileage on diesel. Though it?s got a good sturdy engine under its hood, I am still a bit confused about its performance on Delhi roads. The car had been out of production and is expected to be back in the Chevy showrooms by Sept 15th. I drive almost 80 kms daily in city traffic and need a diesel car which gives me good mileage on city roads Please help and guide if Hyundai i10 grand will be a better buy than the chevy hatchback. Thanks

• Saptarshi |21 Aug,2013 12:51:44 PM

Hi, First of all i want to make one point very clear here that no new car in this world would give good mileage compared to claimed one. It takes 2500-3000 Kms of Run in period to get good mileage. This is my personal experience. Even there is lots of reports from real users who says they are getting 10 kmpl mileage from their new i10 petrol 1.2 kappa2 vtvt . It takes time. Sail hatch diesel has the GM-FIAT produced MJD/SME engine. Chevy has tuned it perfectly for city and highway drive. However there is one issue has been reported from multiple Diesel SAIL owner. The Engine got seized for some after driving 2000 kms. GM has detected Built quality issue from a particular engine part. Hence it suspended its production of Diesel 1.3ltr engine, and rectifying the issue. If the rectified diesel engine comes fresh SAIL UVA is a real VFM car. Ride quality, Space in front and rear, light steering, 3 years or 1,00,000 km warranty, mature looks. i10 grand on other side seems to be good too. But its completely new diesel engine is unknown territory. i think you should wait for some more time. See, when GM restart the diesel Sail twins, and what they report exactly what happened in the name of 'quality issue'. And same goes to i10 diesel, its a new 3 cylinder engine. These days companies are managing the NVH level of 3 Cylinder diesel in the new cars. but after 1 or 2 years when those insulation become old, it starts to give bit clatter. Chevy beat diesel is the example. good engine-good car-good mileage-but little noisy after 1 year.

Swapnil |14 Mar,2016 05:39:44 PM

Dear saptarshi, I m going to buy new sail uva diseal model. Is it good car or I should try Maruti Ridz??

• tony |22 Aug,2013 08:41:30 PM

Hi, i have been owning a sail ldiesel uva since dec 2012 and i have completed 7100kms .Last i drove this car 110 or 120kmph i dont feel anything wrong with my car or engine .I dont knw how people have got there engines sezied mostly 3 such cases i guess saw all over the web.i did a proper running in for atleast 5000kms .My average right from the day i took it with all ac on condition with traffic jam anything is never fallen belos 14.5 or 15km per litre this is the worst with full ac on and inner traffic and highways i have always achieved never les then 19 and mostly managed to get 21 or 22kmpl. i achieved this mileage when i kept my car in between 65 to 80kmph.i do smoothe pick up never pushed paddle fast .I also felt driving at high speed the steering is light so be attentive at high speeds 110 plus.im not a fast rider anymore so thts ok for me i guess.I really wished GM had cleared the air abt the engine and car stil awaiting wht they have to say about this engine problem mostly in march 2013 lot. i would suggest wait a while and this car in terms of comfort looks and overal acc mileage is excellent i10 in terms of comfort is no match.But wait for few more days and company wil be out and clear with the problem and rectify if any soon by august end or sept mid.

• Saptarshi |22 Aug,2013 11:18:59 PM

tony, you said it right. SAIL twins are absolutely value for money car. I own the Petrol one. The car amaze me everyday. I guess, most probably one particular lot got some defective parts. We all know that many engine parts are outsourced to vendors and may be some quality issue was there in that lot. I really wish Chevy to do very aggressive branding and marketing of SAIL twins. For UVA the Petrol and Diesel both engines are very much capable in terms of drive-ability and mileage. My new Sail uva ran 550 Kms in last 30 days. And i started to get 12KMPL in city and short distance. For a 1200 CC, 85Bhp engine Big hatch this initial mileage in petrol is good.

• mukrsh sharma |23 Aug,2013 10:51:15 PM

Never purchase any car from CHEVROLET , its better to walk but not CHEVROLET . Nothing in this car , full waste of money. I purchased in 26 DEC 12 . So many complaints that I can't write here.

• st balu |30 Sep,2013 01:17:15 AM

dear firiends i want to purchase SAIL U-VA- LS ABS Diesel model because of its engine performance and also 1.3 Turbo charges engines with highly body safe design what is your opinion about this Hatchback i almost study well about this segments this is a very good complete packaged and road grip car ,mileage wise also what is your opinion about this SAIL-U-VA Hatchback or SAIL Sedan-LS 1.3 Diesel varient

• lkb |06 Oct,2013 06:26:41 PM

I completely agree with tony comment, i drov 2000+ km, and tested the CAR up 145kmph, it was stable. 15+ milege in delhi, with ac, final report i shal be teling only after copleting 5k kms

• lkb |06 Oct,2013 06:29:07 PM

although there r small issue with my piece, like, there is water collection below driver side carpet.

• Saptarshi |10 Dec,2013 11:44:04 PM

@ LKB: Hope your water collecting issue got resolved by now, if not you can may check the rubber bushing between engine bay and cabin with the service center. This might help!!!

leo |14 Feb,2014 03:51:16 PM

Hi all, Have you got rectified the water collection issue in driver seat carpet. me too faced similar situation... pl revert.

saptarshi |17 Feb,2014 03:06:42 PM

@Leo, Can you please check the rubber bushing between engine bay and cabin with the service center?

• Leo |18 Feb,2014 07:17:16 PM

Now it has got rectified... some time i feel little chill while i keep my legs over the floor mat.... i can feel even i parked my car in covered parking. i cross checked it instantly but nothing has fond every thing normal.

• cchandan |11 May,2014 10:37:56 AM

Hi, Please suggest which variant is better diesel or petrol. Use is very less.

• vijay |23 Oct,2014 11:41:25 PM

HI this is vijay, I am planning to buy Chevrolet sail-uva hatchback. But I am confuse between grand i-10 and sail-uva hatchback. My personally choice is grand i-10 but some features like space, interior, and abs. Please guide me which is better. I have taken test drive of both cars and found some bumping problem in sail-uva. Please need your comments.