Liva diesel .- the qualis hatchback of Toyota.

By for Toyota Etios Liva 2013-2014 from Calicut  2011-11-27 11:53:44.0
  • Appearance

Pros : Interior space, drive ability, light steering, Ac cooling, mileage, fit and finish. Toyota badge

Cons : Lacks power mirrors, auto door locking, 14" wheels

I think it is just a matter of time before Liva diesel smashes every other contender in future with a neck to neck competition with swift diesel. Just think of the indestructible quails in the initial stages when people virtually predicted total failure of quails and finally what happened is history. Every other manufacturer were literally gasping to bring a vehicle of the class and quality and indestructibility of qualis and it never happened. I feel with time people will really come to know of the real quality and indestructibility of Liva diesel and then it will be a repeat history of quails. Having test driven a Liva diesel, the initial impression on entering the car was not highly impressive but the more you spent in it the more you start appreciating the interiors and exteriors. Plastic quality was good but definitely cant compare to my corolla altis. Driveability pick up was really good and driving it in the city will really be an enjoyable experience in it unlike i20 diesel which has a turbo lag. Noise levels were also less but audible but never will become a botheration. But noise levels are on par with swift vdi. Even driving in the highways is good with this engine but should not expect shattering performance in the highways. Steering is very light and a delight to hold and use. Space inside the car  is unbelievable. Swift becomes a cropper in front of Liva regarding space especially back seat space. And you can find flat rear floor in liva diesel which you cant find in any car in this segment and fifth person in this car will definitely will be delighted to sit in this liva diesel. Driveability pick up is comparable to swift diesel and far better than i20 diesel. But ride comfort is far better than swift and comparable to i20. Ac cooling is great in the short test drive I did. There is no stereo system in Liva diesel which is same as the comparable swift diesel vdi. But Liva diesel which comes in only a single variant comes with ABS as standard but swift vdi lacks ABS even as an option. So if you want ABS you need to shell out around 80000 more in swift zdi. Few tolerable omissions in Liva diesel I felt are lack of power mirrors which again is absent in swift vdi, lack of auto locking which is there in swift vdi. Liva diesel lacks fog lamp but original fog lamps can be fitted for Rs 3750 from showroom. Tires are 14 ones while it is 15 in swift. Mileage we all know Arai figures are better in Liva diesel being around 23.59 compared to 22 in swift vdi. I have booked my Liva diesel white color with safety package which consists of extra airbags and seat belt indicator and costs 30000 more but still cheaper than top end swift zdi by 50000.  Probably might get the car by dec 2011 second half as booking time is around one and half months. I feel this car will serve me trouble free for at least next 8 years with of course the peace of mind toyota badge gives which you never get with any other brands.

• asheesh khare |27 Nov,2011 07:22:03 PM

have u seen steel quality of liva? i suggest u go for airbag :)

Faiz |27 Nov,2011 10:12:23 PM

Yea.... Can't compare to polo or fabia but very comparable to swift, micra. But one thing to note is liva has got crash absorbing structure, frontal and side impact bars like any of its competitors. And Toyota badge gives us the indestructible feel and safety about the car. Having air bag is indeed a good idea to increase the safety. I myself have booked liva with airbags.

• asheesh khare |28 Nov,2011 10:29:14 AM

oh then its great. all the best for liva drive. i hv active punto and its great car though liva is also nice looking car.

• Rajendra M. Jadhav |03 Dec,2011 07:48:12 AM

I already booked the 'LIVA GD' in NASHIK city,I m still confusing that in this CARDEKHO feature details I found that CD player & other some accesseris are std. but when we go for booking we have purchace separatly. One more thing is that we must have to purchase side & front skirtings, Front & rear chrome garnish,front & rear bumper spoiler which increase(additional) accesseries cost about Rs.55301/- (excluding CD player which costs Rs.10497/-). Without these accessries we can't immagine this car. So we have to add accesseries more than Rs.75000/- to make completely car in a good shape

Faiz |03 Dec,2011 08:29:38 AM

Yea you are right. But before putting the side front and back skirts please know it might slightly increase the possibility of scraping the humps in the roads. Also a must thing to do is to go for a 3M body coating ( you will get 2 additional free coatings in the next 1year ) and an underbody coating to protect it from rusting ( both together costs around 7500). You also can get a blue interior lighting for your car for around 2200. But with all these fittings itself you will not regret as it is a Toyota and should serve you double the life (at least 8 years of trouble free driving) than most other manufacturer cars.

• mohamed afsal |03 Jan,2012 08:43:07 PM

Thankx Mr . Faiz,,i am agreeing with your opiniions that Toyoto as it ressembles the quality and comfortness where other cars are lagging bit,, and i even booked liva and it cost me 6.25 L ,a slight increase from 2011,and hope it may delivered to me in mid of Februvary. i selected to buy this car only seeing the comments from CarDekho. thankz for all valuable comments.

Faiz |03 Jan,2012 10:42:15 PM

You are welcome. By the way, got my white Liva GD with SP delivered 4 days back. By driving it for the past 4 days itself is enough to know how superior Liva is to any car including swift in this segment. Inspite of weighing just 980 kg it feels so solid and sturdy and the steering feel and comfort is entirely a class higher than any car in this segment. Braking is superb. Now getting around 17.5 kmpl with purely highly congested city drive with ac on all time. Shall update the fuel efficiency in the next full tank.

mohamed afsal |03 Jan,2012 11:00:06 PM

Faiz am from a rural part of malappuram dist,,,,may i know about the mileage tat Liva giving in rural areas that even consist on ups and downs cause frequent shift in gear!!! what u feel about itz performance in second gear???

Raj |12 Jan,2012 12:43:40 AM

Hi, Mr. Mohamed Afsal .. I am planning to book Liva GD Safety. Tell me what was your booking for the 6.25 L on road Price? Was it Liva GD Safety?. what else was part of the package.. Please help me with this information. Thanks a lot. regards Raj

Faiz |12 Jan,2012 04:26:51 PM

Mine was Liva gd with sp which costed 6.47 Lakhs on road and at that time Liva gd without sp was costing around 6.1 Lakhs on road. From jan 1st price hiked by around 15000 for all models. So Liva gd without sp is the one having 6.25 on road price.

mohamed afsal |20 Jan,2012 08:51:42 PM

Raj ,,,actually me gone wit Liva GD only and with 6.25L pack it never offers me more . still u can hope something like MAT,SEAT COVER, etc and it entirely depends on the dealer, and i never look for more since Toyoto with this price itself is a bonus and additionally i can engage some more like STEREO, FRONT GRILL ,,,etc ,,,,but am happy with the price and the package,,,waiting for my Liva,,,,,hope it will be my first presentation after completing my ENGINEERING with 92% overall... Thnx DAD and ofcourse to Toyoto!!!!

• Faiz |04 Jan,2012 07:38:49 AM

I am living in Calicut city and driving mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear with frequent halting due to traffic blocks and with this heavy traffic itself I am getting roughly 17.5 kmpl even before the first service. And it will improve as it clocks more distance. So mileage for you won't be a problem. Pick up in second gear is fantastic. There is no turbo lag and once it reaches 1800 rpm there is huge pull forward till 2400 rpm.