RENAULT DUSTER- DISAPPOINTED MOTOR ENTHUSIASIST TURNING TO VW VENTO

By for Renault Duster 2012-07-05 02:14:12.0
  • Appearance

Pros : BUDGET SUV

Cons : PRICE

Look and Style ; GOOD ENOUGH FOR THIS CATEGORY   Comfort ; ONLY REASONABLE,FOR THIS PRICE TAG NOT GOOD ENOUGH.   Pickup ; O.K.ONLY BECAUSE IT IS LIGHTER THAN OTHER RIVALS   Mileage ; COMPANY CLAIMS YET TO BE TESTED   Best Features ; NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU PAY.   Needs to improve ; THIS IS A BUDGET BRAND HAPPY WITH WHATEVER FEATURES AVAILABLE, BUT NEED TO IMPROVE THE PRICE. WITH THIS CURRENT PRICE IT IS GOING TO BE A SUPER FLOP. Overall Experience ; BUDGET BRAND FOR PREMIUM PRICE. SUV BUT ONLY 4 CM MORE GROUND CLEARANCE THAN VW-VENTO AND 2 WHEEL DRIVE. FOR THE SAME MONEY OR LESS YOU CAN GET SAFER,QUALITY GOOD MOTOR WHICH IS VW-VENTO IF YOU WANT TO ENJOY THE GOOD QUALITY DRIVING AND RIDE. I WAS AWAITING FOR THE PRICE AND FEATURES OF DUSTER AND DELAYED DELIVERY OF VENTO. NOW RENAULT MADE MY LIFE EASIER AND CLEARER, TAKING DELIVERY OF VW-VENTO PETROL HIGHLINE UNDER 9LAC ON DISCOUNT OFFER IN 2 TO 3 DAYS. DUSTER IS GOING TO BE ANOTHER LOGAN STORY.

• pvnrao |06 Jul,2012 03:54:43 PM

I think this is a false story. For an entry level SUV this price and quality is OK. If the above story is correct, the company could have not been received 4000 bookings on launching day. Pl vote for public.

AASSAI GOVINDAN |06 Jul,2012 06:26:07 PM

DEAR PVN RAO, IF YOU CALL MY REVIEW A FALSE STORY THEN COME UP WITH FACTS AND EXPLAIN WHY? FOR OUR POPULATION DO YOU THINK 4000 BOOKINGS ARE ENOUGH TO CALL IT A SUCCESS,IF IT IS THE CASE THEN WHAT ABOUT MM-XUV5OO[25,000BOOKINGS].ANYWAY, NO OF BOOKINGS NOTHING TO DO WITH A REVIEW OF MOTOR,IF YOU WANT TO TEST DRIVE DUSTER AND VENTO PLEASE DO SO AND COME BACK AND COMMENT ON IT RATHER THAN ASKING FOR A PUBLIC VOTE. THEY DO NOT EVEN OFFER TEST DRIVE. I HAVE SEEN BOTH THESE 2 CARS PHYSICALLY AND MADE THE COMPARISON WITH TOP MODEL PETROL PRICE AND FEATURES.FOR A SUV 4CM GC MORE THAN A SEDAN IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH,ESPECIALLY IF IT IS A 2 WHEEL DRIVE.YOU CAN GET A HIGHER DRIVING POSITION IN VENTO HIGHLINE BY HEIGHT ADJUSTING DRIVER SEAT. THANKING YOU.

PVNRAO |07 Jul,2012 11:14:02 AM

Thankq Mr. AAS SAI GOVINDAN for your comment on my reply, you may be lover of vento, according to my test drive of duster I clearly say that duster will going to be the best choice of public in coming days. Any how once again thanq very much, I strongly state that at this PRICE & QUALITY the DUSTER is best vehicle.

vijayakuamr |25 Nov,2012 10:24:28 AM

yes you was right

RS RAO |29 Aug,2012 02:06:54 PM

Mr.Govindan and Mr.PVN both ur comments to some extent OK. Not full. I have driven both the cars. U can not compare a sports utility car with VW. Ofcourse, duster is lacking (85bhp) pickup it required. The space between the seat and roof is very close. Both the cars u like are lacking are yet to establish service points and spares availabilty. Duster is a silent car. VW has some noise. People using VW are feeling comfortable with that . As it is said the duster price is little high than expected.

vijayakuamr |25 Nov,2012 10:23:42 AM

your thing is petrol....but in disel..i had tendline ventoVW I am chaning now to duster 110ps rxl dsisel...I feel very very comfrot...ground clearance is 168mm of vento and in duster it is 201 mm...you can feel a great diffrence in indai roads...

Angelino Saxena |07 Feb,2013 06:31:50 PM

Hello AASSAI GOVINDAN , I believe you are a paid worker of Volkswagen and so you are talking like this. Look at the performance of Duster and its popularity. Vento fits nowhere ... Think twice before you comment. - Angelino

t.govindan |24 Feb,2013 07:18:36 PM

DEAR SIR,I DO NOT WRITE MY COMMENTS BASED ON COMMERCIAL SUCCESS,IT'S BASED ON MY DRIVING EXPERIENCE AND TO THOSE WHO WANT TO ENJOY THE DRIVING.YOU DO NOT HAVE TO THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE ABOUT HOW A CAR DRIVES OR HANDLES YOU NEED TO DRIVE AND FEEL IT.IF YOU HAVE NOT DRIVEN BMW X.5 OR VW PASSAT IT'S HARD TO UNDERSTAND HOW GOOD A CAR CAN DRIVE.PLEASE READ MY REVIEW ONCE AGAIN AND MY REPLY TO OTHERS. I AM SPENDING MY TIME TO WRITE BETWEEN MY BUSY SCHEDULE IN ORDER TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE WITH PEOPLE WHO WANT TO ENJOY DRIVING.SEE IT'S YOUR MONEY IF YOU THINK DUSTER IS THE BEST YOU GO AHEAD,IF YOU NEVER WANT TO EXPERIENCE QUALITY IN YOUR LIFE SO PLEASE DO NOT ADVICE ME HOW TO WRITE A COMMENT,THERE IS NO FACTUAL EVIDENCE TO SUPPORT YOUR VIEW IN YOUR COMMENT,IF YOU GOT ANY PLEASE REPLY WITH THAT.THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENT FULL READING.THANKING YOU.

soni gautam |20 Jul,2012 06:14:49 PM

very true , false story !!

aassaigovindan |21 Jul,2012 04:43:43 PM

can you ex[pand on this mate

yatin |25 Jul,2012 03:08:54 PM

A beautiful test drive of the Duster..booked it on d day of launch without testing it but after testing also m really impressed with the handling of the car...overall balance...Vento though on the other hand does not give u any feel close to the duster in terms of driving and otherwise. Overall i would say with such a price range and the offering from Renault it is worth what u pay for. May be u can say that with 110 BHP it might not be giving u an instant feel on the road but after the second gear push it reallt feels big!!

HC Sharatchandra |16 Dec,2012 10:05:28 PM

I never considered Duster as an SUV except for its clearance. It is a sedan in the shape of SUV. I tried taking it to Ooty via Kalatti. I had problems climbing up. I should say that on plain roads it's superb. excellent control. I did 600 km and it consumed same quantity of diesel as Safari consumed.

mujeeb |28 Dec,2012 02:03:56 AM

i wld like to buy dustr dsl. the main attraction is its fuel efficiency. pls give me a clear picture

H C Sharatchandra |28 Dec,2012 06:21:13 AM

Duster gave me a km or two more than Safari/Scorpio but not certainly 15-17 km on highway as claimed by the company.

t.govindan |24 Feb,2013 07:24:02 PM

IF YOU WANT A CAR FOR ITS FUEL EFFICIENCY THEN MARUTHI SUZUKI IS THE BEAT IF IT IS PETROL OR IF IT'S DIESEL THEN IT GOT TO BE GERMAN CARS

aassai govindan |21 Jan,2013 03:05:05 AM

hello hcs, thanks for your comments.we got a habit in india that no one would like to go against the mass opinion and choose to go with the flow.u never c this kind of response for a low rent highly priced vehicle in the world.perhaps not many indians experienced a quality product.all these mnc's producing only second quality products for india and make first class money.

t.govindan |24 Feb,2013 07:20:24 PM

I DO AGREE WITH YOU,VERY HONEST COMMENT.

• Magesh |06 Jul,2012 04:59:24 PM

Hi Friend, The review you have written is very poor the GC will be calculate only on the basis of MM that is (40MM high than sedan) also do you know that the duster GC is higher than scorpio which is also a best SUV, Also the boot space of duster is approx 530lts(not sure) but ventwo will be still lesser. I just stated this because i am also having an idea to go for a suv. but not yet decided yet that duster or eco sport. so please give a worthy report while giving in websites with proper reasons.

aassai govindan |06 Jul,2012 05:56:40 PM

DEAR MAGESH, THANK YOU FOR YOUR FEEDBACK.I DO NOT MIND THAT YOU ARE CALLING MY REVIEW IS POOR,I AM WELL AWARE OF THE FACT THAT GC IS MENTIONED IN MMS,I OPTED FOR CMS SO THAT IT IS EASY FOR PEOPLE TO VISUALIZE THE DIFFERENCE.4CMS IS EQUAL TO 40MMS,I HOPE YOU AGREE WITH ME. YOU ARE ASKING FOR A WORTHY REPORT THEN YOU ARE SAYING BOOT CAPACITY OF DUSTER IS APPROX 530 LTS BUT NOT SURE.WHAT IS THIS.IT IS LESS THAN 500LTRS AND FALLS IN THE SAME CATEGORY OF VENTO. I WROTE THAT REVIEW WITH GOOD INTENTION TO HELP OTHER POTENTIAL BUYERS, I WAS ABOUT TO BOOK ONE, THE DEALER SERVICE WAS REALLY BAD IN SALEM,TN.THEY STARTED BOOKING 2 WEEKS AGO WITHOUT ANY INFORMATION ABOUT PRICE OR FEATURES. SINCE YOU QUESTIONED MY CREDIBILITY IN WRITING CAR REVIEW I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE YOU SOME INFORMATION ABOUT MY DRIVING EXPERIENCE WITH DIFFERENT CARS; 1.MS-ALTO ; 20,000 KMS 2.HYUNDAI-SANTRO ; 35,000 KMS 3.VW-PASSAT ; 30,000 KMS 4.HYUNDAI-SANTA FE; 15,000 KMS 5.BMW-X5 ; 200 KMS 6.MM-SCARPIO ; 20,000 KMS 7.TOYOTA-INNOVA ; 20,000 KMS 8.MS-SWIFT DZIRE ; 5,000 KMS MORE TO COME BECAUSE I GOT THE PASSION FOR DRIVING,JUST WANTED TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE. ANY WAY I WILL COME BACK TO YOU SOON WITH SCARPIO GC,I HAVE SEEN BOTH SUVS PHYSICALLY I THINK YOU ARE WRONG AGAIN.

Tarun |16 Aug,2012 08:00:24 PM

Bull

Karthik |21 Dec,2012 10:29:27 PM

Vgoel |07 Mar,2013 10:24:49 PM

Are u a driver ???

Sujit |30 Mar,2013 11:10:34 PM

aassai, would you please use small letters. Use of capital letters amounts to 'shouting' in write ups. Thanks

• Magesh |06 Jul,2012 04:59:25 PM

vijayakuamr |04 Dec,2012 02:05:11 PM

Mr magesh please read my review.. one more review after 10days...fully explored my duter rxl110ps diesel....but only 500kilometers and decide accdring to me duster is very good

• anon |07 Jul,2012 07:25:52 PM

Dear Mr Govindan, You seem to be an auto connossiuer of sorts so I would like to do some straight talking here. Of course drawbacks may be there when compared to some classic SUVs, but don't you think it to be a reasonable choice as a poor man's SUV. An OK choice who wants the SUV look but cannot afford a REAL SUV..! After all Renault Dacia ( the take off model for duster I guess)has not done so badly in Europe. I ask you because I myself am planning to book one for myself. Are there any major technical glitches which would force one to steer clear of the duster. Please advise. Thanx in advance

• aassai govindan |08 Jul,2012 01:54:36 AM

DEAR ANON, FIRST OF ALL THANK YOU FOR ASKING MY ADVICE. I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU THAT DUSTER CAN BE THE POOR MAN'S SUV AND IT IS A O.K SUV.FOR THAT VERY REASON ONLY I WANTED TO BUY ONE,BUT WHEN I SAW THE PRICE AND SPEC I WAS SHOCKED.AGAIN I REFER TO MY REVIEW DUSTER IS A BUDGET SUV WITH THE PREMIUM PRICE TAG.IF YOU COMPARE THE TOP MODEL TO XUV5OO W8,ONLY 3LAC RS DIFFERENCE AND FEATURES ARE VERY DIFFERENT. DACIA DUSTER IS LOT CHEAPER IN EUROPE AND COMES WITH MORE FEATURES,IF RENAULT CAN DO THE SAME FEATURES AND SAME PRICE THEN IT IS ACCEPTABLE.[YOU HAVE TO CONSIDER THE MONEY VALUE AS WELL] NO TECHNICAL GLITCHES AS IT IS,BUT RENAULT,CITROEN ARE FRENCH BUDGET ONES COMPARED TO MERC,BMW,AUDI AND VW GERMAN PREMIUM COUNTER PARTS.THATS WHY I CHOOSE TO COMPARE WITH VW-VENTO,FOR THE SAME MONEY OR CHEAPER COMPARE THE FEATURES AND QUALITY.AFTER ALL THEY BOTH 5 SEATERS AND APPROX 470LTS BOOT,ONE WILL BE LOT SAFER AND GOOD STEERING AND ROAD HANDLING. TO MAKE IT EASIER IT SHOULD BE 2 LAC CHEAPER IN ALL CATEGORIES.IF YOU WANT STILL WANT A SUV,WAIT FOR FORD.LOT OF PEOPLE STARTED AGREEING WITH ME.TAKE TIME TO RESEARCH AND WAIT FOR A LITTLE WHILE. ALL THE BEST.

anon |08 Jul,2012 08:50:33 AM

Yes it does make sense to wait and watch I guess. Thanx again Mr AG.

• nitin |08 Jul,2012 08:30:39 PM

i agree with Mr. GOVINDAN. Its not worth the price with its features. I have santro n logan n u will accept the fact that 60% of the features are of logan. Even logan has more boot space than duster. Overall iam disappointed with the launch and going with old indian beast tata safari.

aassai govindan |10 Jul,2012 01:47:17 AM

hai nitin,thanks for agreeing with me.if someone wants suv,tata-safari not a bad option.eventhough it god a very indian front look it is solid,stronger than duster and lot safer.top of the range cheaper than duster and comes with loads of features and got good handling too.

anand mohan goswami |08 Sep,2012 11:33:46 AM

I agree with Mr.Govindan, as when I checked Duster, I felt the quality not upto mark and also the driver seat comfort for tall people and rear seat leg room was a tragedy. I also saw many people checking on the noise doors were making while closing. there are some fundamental gaps in the Duster, which if not addressed, will not make it success.

• Balaji |12 Jul,2012 01:35:00 PM

• Faker |12 Jul,2012 09:50:59 PM

well Govind, the fact is that you cannot afford this car so you wrote this review. There is no car in this Price Segment and once one came you have so much Negitive to write? for 14Lac you want Cruise Control and 4x4? I am glad you dont work for AutoCar or Cars :D

RAGHA |13 Jul,2012 12:07:19 PM

FAKER, please read carefully what Govindan has written . All he is saying is that when same car with more features is available in Europe for lesser price why should Indian Customer pay more?

vivek |18 Feb,2013 02:20:47 PM

because of duties

t.govindan |24 Feb,2013 07:28:02 PM

NO,DO NOT BLAME THE DUTIES IT IS NOT IMPORTED,IT IS MADE IN CHENNAI

aassai govindan |14 Jul,2012 07:12:52 PM

dear faker,i am real not a faker.read my review again,i bought vento highline petrol.compare the price and features of this with duster petrol top variant then reply.duster petrol is cheaper than vento petrol-highline. it is not i can not afford,i can not offer this much money to cheap duster.

• RAJAN |13 Jul,2012 03:16:55 PM

hi friends. I read your all comments. But the most improtant thing is you cant compare duster wid sedan class vw vento. Suv is a tottaly difrant class even you know verrywell you cant use ur vw vento like suv. And about price and features you know all about suv wich is running on indian roads Fortuner 25lac, captiva 24lac, ford enduver 22lac,and renault give us new suv duster wich cost is too much lesser than other suv and its feel like 4*4 tuff look. Renault give us 1.5 cc deisel engin with 110ps. With monocoque body and ABS, EBD also. Yesterday i drive renault duster around 20km. In hevy rain i take it on highway aorund 125 km/hr wid truely rough driving...this suv told me push me much more harder...duster continuasly improve my confidance. Its not leave the rod at that speed wid cutting adge driving. Its going verry stable. Performance is owsm. I also dorve it on rough road i cant feel any heavy jurk in this suv. And about features. I accept the features are 50% than other suv but still other svu with featurese are above 20lac. and renault duster top end model cost is going on 14lac. It give us suv plesure, performance, and fuel economy also. Wid more boot space. All four seats are comfertable. Rear middle seat is ok ok. Still if u realy do not need any 7 or 8 seating, and u want suv feel, performance, five comfertalbe sittings., boot space, fuel economy then go for duster.

• RAJAN |13 Jul,2012 03:21:31 PM

hi friends. I read your all comments. But the most improtant thing is you cant compare duster wid sedan class vw vento. Suv is a tottaly difrant class even you know verrywell you cant use ur vw vento like suv. And about price and features you know all about suv wich is running on indian roads Fortuner 25lac, captiva 24lac, ford enduver 22lac,and renault give us new suv duster wich cost is too much lesser than other suv and its feel like 4*4 tuff look. Renault give us 1.5 cc deisel engin with 110ps. With monocoque body and ABS, EBD also. Yesterday i drive renault duster around 20km. In hevy rain i take it on highway aorund 125 km/hr wid truely rough driving...this suv told me push me much more harder...duster continuasly improve my confidance. Its not leave the rod at that speed wid cutting adge driving. Its going verry stable. Performance is owsm. I also dorve it on rough road i cant feel any heavy jurk in this suv. And about features. I accept that the features are 50% than other suv but still other svu with featurese are above 20lac. and renault duster top end model cost is going on 14lac. Wat do u want is suv in 14 lac. Its give us suv plesure, performance, and fuel economy also. Wid more boot space. All four seats are comfertable. Rear middle seat is ok ok. Still if u realy do not need any 7 or 8 seating, and u want suv feel, performance, five comfertalbe sittings., boot space, fuel economy then go for duster. Duster is a

• rajan |13 Jul,2012 03:51:14 PM

sir i think u know verrywell xuv5oo, comes wid list of features wich is also hasnot in above 20lac suv segment. Xuv5oo comes wid full list of features and aslo comes wid list of complaints. For perfect xuv5oo we need to wait more 1.5 year. Mahindra and mahindra do the r & d on coustmer complaints.

• kanav |14 Jul,2012 11:59:08 AM

Dear all, All said well, while testing an SUV, we shoudl check wether it can do the role expected from an SUV or not, rather comapring it too much with sedans, if you need pure SUV at low cost you can go for mahindra THAR, and only comfort can come from sedan. Duster has tried to do both... What we need to check is can duster climb on a steep hill road, or can cross a small pond of water with rough road, if it can do so with given comfrot price is ok, as we are not expecting a very rough or hard off roading from duster. but if it fails of basic SUV roles, then we should go for sedan or expect duster to reduce the price. Hope some of us have tested duster on these aspects, also most selling model will be 85 PS, any review on the same

aassai govindan |14 Jul,2012 07:22:09 PM

hai kanav,very sensible review.duster yet to be tested on off road performance.any suv without 4 x 4 is no good for off roading

Ajay |26 Sep,2012 08:00:22 PM

Hi, I just saw the BBC's Topgear review of Duster and they are saying that its a good car for its price after they test drove in Morocco in tough conditions. In the UK, they will get the same cars we get in India as they are exported from India. Usually, the Topgear disapproves all that is for mass consumer products such as Renault, Ford, Chevorley, etc. I really liked the look of it and it has lots of positive review and it has already proven a success in terms of bookings. Thanx.

• RAJAN |14 Jul,2012 02:47:09 PM

hi kanav you are right we cant compair suv with sedan. but mahindra THAR is pourpously made for offroading its not for looks. And comfirt. In indian market already have premium and expencive suv like HONDA CRV, BMW X1, CHEVY CAPTIVA, SKODA YETi, these suv are also cant beat MM THAR low cost suv on off roading. These suv's are made for multy pourpose. these suv comes with comfirt and higway performance. And littil bit off roading performane. Wich sedan class vehicle cant do on off road. So RENAULT DUSTER iS BABY suv of premium segment SUV. With looks, comfirt and normal offroading. so renault duster for those who cant afford 25 to 35lac suv's.

• RAJAN |14 Jul,2012 02:51:29 PM

• rajan |17 Jul,2012 09:38:00 AM

Mr. Ag. Duster is a basic suv, and also honda crv, bmw x1 they are also basic suv u cant use them for off roading. If u have a bmw x1. Or honda crv will you take them for off roading....?. And this thing is faar away. even u take them verry carefully from road pot holes...so

• Aaryan |20 Jul,2012 09:19:51 PM

Dear All, I tested Duster in satpura hill range and Kanha netional park. Also i drove it 500km on highway. belive me its handeling quality is far better that other Indian suv. it gives you conficence to drive. yes interiors are not premium but classic. i am 6 feet tall and the vehicle was too comfortable. this is my personal opinion and not to harm someone's feeling. i believe duster is well worth ot money.

• suneel |20 Jul,2012 10:53:28 PM

Sir Are you usiing Duster ? Or it is review based on the paper chart comparison Your review do not sound to be actual user review Suneel Gore

• aassai govindan |21 Jul,2012 04:53:33 PM

i have test driven one,i wanted petrol high end.for the quality,safety,comfort ride and vfm i opted for vw.vento petrol-highline and i am a proud owener of vento

arun |12 Aug,2012 08:00:46 PM

vw is worst bcoz 1. no free service. 2. 1 st service cost 4k for petrol ,8 t0 9 k for diesel.{ interval is 1 year or 15k } 3. spares price is very high 4. one wheel cap cost 1700 rs ( alloy wheel available 2500 rs onwards } 5. if engine contains example 4 litre of capacity of engine oil, service centres billed for 5 litres { check old bill and vento manuals} 6. low resale value 7. in convinence of door opening syatem { polo} 8.no usb in music syatem { polo} 9.no powered mirrors ,only manual adjustables {polo} 10. and finally VENTO is grown POLO { just add dicky}

aassai govindan |14 Aug,2012 01:33:23 AM

hai arun, you can not say vw is worst because it is expensive to run,it will be expensive bcoz it is a premium brand.if you want to keep the running cost low then the best option is maruthi suzuki.hondas and toyotas also expensive to run bcoz they are premium brands.i do not think duster is going to be cheap to run either.vento highline comes with elec adj mirrors and climate control ,abs etc and it has got powerful engine than polo,only the front looks the same.ta ta.

• subra |22 Jul,2012 04:25:08 PM

Dear Mr.Govindan,Your review is good.In fact I was in a dilemma to chose between Vento and duster Diesel.My use is 70 % city and 30% on highways.I test drove duster yesterday.Handling was good but pick up even the 110BHP which I drove was little low.Interior vento is far ahead.waiting time now the dealer's say is 6 months.I am still not able to make up my mind as only feature I find in duster is the comfort of height in driver's seat which ia on high ways particularly at night.Can you please advice?

AASSAI GOVINDAN |25 Jul,2012 06:19:07 PM

hai , first of all thank you for asking my advice.if you go for high line vento u will have driver seat ht adjustable. but even if you go for trend line considering your 70% city use u will have better mileage with vento than duster. if you want look and driving position,go for duster.but it is no valur for money, it is cheap because of the low quality. if you want a safe , quality machine then go for vento.good vfm. 6 months waiting time because lot of people want them like maruthi.we have 2 new arrivals in our 16 flats apartment both vento.one di t.line and one petrol h.line. i hope this will clear your mind.and also vw and renault two different brand.vw.vento arround there for 2years,tried and tested,duster yet to be tested. all the best with your new car.ta . aassai

• kanav sharma |23 Jul,2012 01:58:36 PM

Dear subra, If you are looking only comfort you should go with vento, but if you love long drives and with family and friends then you should go for duster, i have also drived the car second time on a test track which can reflect hill terane, in 4 gear, 5 pesrson seated, with verly little presure on exalarater i.e. RMP around 1000 or low, it has climbed very well. yes if you need to push duster fast on hill track you have to bring it to 3 gear has RPM at 2000 RPM it will run faster. I have tested the same on 110 PS im sure there will not be much diffrance in 85 PS also... If any one has tried 85 PS in hill terane please provide the review I will also request Aryan which model he has drived i.e 85 or 110 PS in hills.

• dinesh |25 Jul,2012 11:57:09 AM

this is a first of the kind car at this price,duster will be a decent sucess in india for the package it has,but honestly,i will not complain duster for the fundamentals it has got.... globally,this platform has proven good sucess,with comfort,design,and more as a brand itself.for all people criticize the car ,thats not definetly bad,the perception of your understanding couild be take wrong but overall with simple lines.... Duster is definetly a good car,i am sure you can drive with pleasure and trust the brand, I have driven this car's 110 ps diesel topend, quite a bit now and I am convinced,good looks,good driving position,fantastic ground clearance,very less bodyroill for an suv kind,great handling,very apt braking,nice refined engine,much enough power for india,in total very good practical car.... Pretty good isnt it...all with a onroad price of 13 lakhs.

• Hari |25 Jul,2012 08:58:43 PM

Dear enthusiasts, The comparison you are making is sheer non sense. A duster is basically not a SUV, it is a CUV, a crossover vehicle. which means that this one is designedto give you the cofort of a sedan and the performance of a small SUV. With the approach angle very high, I am sure it will be a good hill climber, though I have tested it only on the highway. Now, look at the draw backs of a duster.The only draw back you can notice is the cost cutting made in the interiors and at the price the duster is offered, what else can one expect? Compare any other SUV and find them around 1/3rd of the price higher. At another 3 lakhs upwards, these defects of the Duster are easy to clear. But this is made for the people who want an SUV machine but do not intend to pay a dear price for the same. The machine is appealing and the performance is good compared to any vehicle of its price, no roll over and though there is a bit of turbo lag in the diesel version, it performs well at slightly higher RPM. A good vehicle to go in for the kill, if you have been waiting long.

Vicky Mavia |02 Aug,2012 12:56:11 AM

Hi Hassan, In fact on seeing your review it is very clear that you have had a bad experience with the dealer in Salem and only because of that you are trying to create a negative impression on Duster :) Things apart, me currently being a owner on a VW Vento, I really luv the performance of the car, but on rightly comparing the car with its singling Rapid and the year winner winner of the best car Verna, it is no where and worst of the lot. I drove duster test drive and I really loved the feeling of drive. You were saying the GC is just 4Cm higher than Vento, pity as a expert in car review as you say it for yourself, wouldn't you know that this will make a big difference. Vento has no off roaring ability, but Duster has. Vento has no road presence but Duster has. Vento handling on bad road is the worst, but Duster the best and even the big B from Germany does not go so smooth. TATA Safari is good car, but still the plastic quality and the build quality is much poorer than Duster. Duster is a top notch even in the countries that are covered with snow as it even performs that well. I really don't think Salem is more worst than that and it's a great city for truckers. I saw you are asking for facts to others. You come with good facts to prove Duster is worst buying and I will answer. I have not driven cars as you did as listed above in your comments above as I had other important job :), but I am part of a leading Automotive company which is world famous for its PC and also a competitor for Renault. So, be true and do not show your frustration on the dealer on a open forum. Cheers Pal.

aassai |04 Aug,2012 11:27:29 PM

hai vicky mavia, i got lot of important jobs to do but still find some time to write the review,because i wanted my driving experience to be useful to others.whatever i mentioned is my own used cars and mileage over the past 15 years.please read my review once again i never said duster is a bad car but i stated that no value for money.the reason is duster offered with 4 disc brakes and lot more for less money in europe and for less features they are asking more money from indian consumers,,,why? you are taking my review very personally,it sounds like u r working for renault and i do not think you own a vento. you know what vw and skoda same parent company,skoda is a budget version of vw.

Vicky Mavia |06 Aug,2012 12:17:52 AM

Hi Assai, Sorry if you feel I have taken review personally. First of all I dont work to Renault and I dont see any reason to bluff to a stranger. As you rightly mentioned both Skoda and VW fall under the VW group and there are more subsidiary under VW group like the Audi, Bently, Bugati, Lamborghini, Scania etc, not sure if you know. But my point here is that it is not a fair statement to compare the cars between two countries as there will definitely be a lot of change as per the requirement and priced accordingly. Even the Vento or Fabia for example or more cheaper in Europe and are even of the better quality, as you would be aware. I dont mind you believe me or not for me owning a VW, I wanted people not to invest on a machine that's not too worthy, instead the can go For a Rapid or Verna or Duster which are better than the Vento which has zero road presence. If the still want to go for VW, the polo is better to Vento as both look similar and performs akin.

Vicky Mavia |06 Aug,2012 12:51:06 AM

Hi Assai, I also felt the below link will be helpful for you as a suggestion to buy a goo value car... Go to you tube and search with the keyword Skoda Rapid vs VW Vento vs Hyundai Verna by Autocar India and view the 10 min and 36 sec video.

t.govindan |08 Aug,2012 05:44:03 PM

hai vicky, i do agree with you that duster got better road presence than vento.if someone want to buy a car for road presence than i would strongly recommend duster over vento.but my review was about vfm,road handling,comfort and ride and also about quality and safety.in general vw is more reliable than renault. i have viewed the video you suggested before writing the review i do agree with you that for less money if you want the same segment car then rapid is better option than vento.but rapid got cheap interiors compared to vento.

Vicky mavia |08 Aug,2012 07:37:42 PM

Hi Pal, thanks for your comments. You are absolutely correct, so price matters. If you are going to pay high then fare enough, but when it comes to handling, safety and cornering other cars are equally good, why pay higher for a very little plastic quality higher. I dont neglect your fact anyways. U r absolutely correct.

Shaan |13 Aug,2012 03:47:01 PM

okay looks like too many car enthusiasts are here... I am going to book this, but I have some questions I am most of the time city drives but occasionally on little rough roads. I am planning to do leh trip also once in this vehicle. ? 1. Which version shud I choose? 85 PS or 110 PS? 2. Do you think so it would be good idea to buy Beta release? (As this is the very first batch of Duster) 3. Has some complete pictures of RXe model? Any answers a big help.

aassai |14 Aug,2012 01:23:18 AM

hai shaan,as u mentioned mostly city drive better to go for 85 bhp and also enough power for occasional trips to lah.all the best.

Shaan |14 Aug,2012 10:48:28 AM

@aassai: thanks dude, you saved my pennies... Also is it a good decision to buy vehicle from first lot?

• gaurav |29 Jul,2012 10:56:54 PM

whatever i am going to book DUSTER...it looks great but only confused between 85 ps or 110ps,is it worth spending 1.33 lac more for 110 ps model...

Vicky mavia |06 Aug,2012 12:57:38 AM

Hello Gaurav, If you use you car only on City roads and you are person who does not do off roading then, go for a 85 PS, if you luv adventure and want the skill of Off road go for 110 PS. Please remember, there is a minimal amount or Turbo lag in 110 PS until 2000 RPM (Exactly till 1800 RPM) which is not the case of 85 PS. Also, the mileage of 85 PS is more than the 110PS.

• Hari S Nair |02 Aug,2012 11:31:51 AM

Dear Gaurav, your ques is one that you will have to find an answer yourself. The 85 ps is better meant for the city than the high way. For performance taking you to high speed travelling, without doubt, the 110ps is better. Then it is a comparison of the price factor. As I have stated earlier, the price tag on the duster should have a major impact on the selection. Duster seems the best at lower prices as it is feature packed for the price. At higher prices, there might be other options in the market, especially a time tested vehicle like an innova. So decide on the price factor and your need before you make the final hit.

• rajan |04 Aug,2012 02:10:02 AM

hi friends, after lot of confusion in comparison vehicles. Finaly i have book duster 110ps optional, woodland brown. Am weighting for delivery.........

mahe |06 Aug,2012 02:12:12 PM

govin stop writing ur shady review...boboooboobobob

aassai govindan |08 Aug,2012 05:31:50 PM

hai mahe,rather than asking me to stop writing review you can come up with your opinion which would be useful for the readers.

rajan |15 Aug,2012 01:14:11 PM

but mr. Ag ur reviwe is not on practicle base.....its only comparing on paper....

Ahmed |25 Aug,2012 03:26:12 PM

Please use normal font when you write review why all CAPITAL Letters I dont understand. By the way Duster is proving your review to be not so correct, my friend bought one, I took a test ride of Duster, XUV500, Scorpio, Liked Duster - stability , Nice Compact SUV, also for its price. :) Liked 500 for the power, Liked Scorpio is old school.

• Rajat |10 Nov,2012 06:57:27 PM

I think the car is great if you have price and mileage as priority. I do not expect it to be as capable as the Range Rover or even Fortuner, but if i can have a little off-road or jungle experience for 10.7 lakh with highway fuel economy of 17.5KMPL and even in city conditions it gives me 14.5 KMPL, I think I am already a winner. Handling is pretty OK, pic up is ordinary, rear legroom if you notice carefully is compensated by broader seats, hence no real discomfort. head room a little low but hey, the ground clearance is second to none. And i don't know why do ppl here think the boot space is less, i mean you can easily squeeze in a baby elephant in there. the boot space is massive!! infact they could have done with a smaller boot by pushing the rear seats back a bit.

vijayakuamr |25 Nov,2012 10:27:51 AM

i accpet rajat....for a 12.7 lakhs(110ps diesl rxl) ..pick was great compared to vento samepower exhbting...i am getting abs with ebd also....for safety...i feel duster is far better than Vento( my od car)...

• Suresh |03 Dec,2012 11:58:00 AM

I am from bangalore. I did TD on all sedans and finally booked Duster. But, Sales person from VW called me for a followup and when I said that I went for Duster, he threw all his bad opinion about duster.(but the Sales guys from other companies closed the follow up call very politely..!! ) And after a week, Vento sales guy called me again and gave some more offers in Vento highline +.... For me, I experienced that VW sales folks are little desperate and they should have lost their vento prospects to Duster, as the showrooms are very next to each other in whitefield, bangalore...... I dont know.. May be... this thread could be from one of them..... :)

• vijayakuamr |04 Dec,2012 02:07:29 PM

Mr suresh this a very good choice...I got my new duster 12days back it is very very good...it is much beter than my old car vento trendline disel

• rajan |07 Dec,2012 11:43:49 AM

Plan to book Duster ps85 in Trich or in Chennai, pls suggest some Positive and Negative points on this car and how was the maintanance(*spares availability) of Duster..? Main info about the dealers... Thanks in Advance...Rajan

• smithesh |14 Dec,2012 05:40:39 PM

I really looking to buy SUV really in a confusion to buy Renault Duster or MM XUV500. can anyone give me a suggestion.

AASSAI |24 Feb,2013 07:03:31 PM

DO NOT GET CONFUSED IF U WANT FUN,POWER AND KITS TO PLAY WITH THEN MM XUV5OO,OFCOURSE IF U GOT LOADS OF MONEY THEN LOT MORE EXPENSIVE OPTIONS AVAILABLE LIKE,HYUNDAI-SANTA FE,BMW X5 ANDMERC BENZ

• Pranay |21 Dec,2012 10:26:45 AM

hi all, any comments on after sales / service / spare parts availability for duster?

• Karthik |21 Dec,2012 10:36:14 PM

aassai govindan..........Sir, please tell me that which is th better option to buy a DUSTER or SAFARI STORM...............as my dad ride 400km per day....................or any SUV other than these and my bujet is upto 14lakhs..

aassai govindan |21 Jan,2013 03:20:20 AM

hai karthik, sorry for the late response.i was on holidays.within your budget both scarpio and safari good choice.better handling in safari than scarpio because scarpio is taller at the same time scarpio got a better engine.as long as your dad does not drive a lot in hills then scorpio is the best. but what i would do is stretch the budget up to 16 and go for xuv,lot for your money

• Akshay Kumar |31 Dec,2012 12:35:44 PM

Hi All, I want to know your expert opinion about petrol duster. I am looking for a powerfull driving expereince be it city traffick or long routes.

• vishal pathania |02 Jan,2013 11:41:36 AM

I am totally disagree with that story by mr.govindan... I have taken test drive of 85 ps as well as 110 ps duster and trust me there is not much difference between them and about other things i must say go and test urself.. Duster wil nt dissappoint u at all.. very smooth and comfortable ride with super glue braking.. and last nt the least u getting a SUV man in the price of sedan...

• udit |02 Jan,2013 08:39:34 PM

I think that the Duster is an awesome car; and a value for money car. I am planning to buy it soon. My requirements are : good stability, high driving position, price 15 lakhs , easy maneuverability (small turning radius & small length) , features (more of convenience features rather than comfort). Any other cars that I should consider? [P.S.: I want an SUV, so please DO NOT suggest me the VW vento Mr. ..whatever your name is]

• Abhilash |14 Jan,2013 09:05:25 AM

Hello everyone Happens to go through all the comments . You don't need to go for a second thought to buy duster .. It's an awesome car ..I was using vow vento trendline . Happened to visit the Renault duster showroom Trivandrum, Kerai was surprised to see that the duster gives sedan like comfort and more power than the one I am using . This was more than enough for me and I have gave a booking at the same day itself by issuing a cheque amount rs. 50,000 on the same day .. Eagerly waiting to take the delivery ..

• Poorani Kumar |19 Jan,2013 08:01:46 PM

Hi all Auto experts, We are planning to change our Civic (6yrs old) to a SUV model vehicle for our family and official. We am looking at MM XUV / Duster / Innova or any other Vehicle less than 18 lakhs. It is 100% driver driven usage and 90% Chennai city driven. Pl suggest some SUV models of your choice with Trouble free service, good mileage, for Driver driven city usage.

• t.govindan |21 Jan,2013 03:31:54 AM

with out any doubt xuv unless you use all the 7 seats all the time because with the 7 seats up very little boot.if you use as a 7 seater innova is the best but it is a mpv not suv.as u mentioned only driver driven car probably innova is the best because of the reliability.i recommend xuv for self drive because only u need this if you want to enjoy the driving and reliabilty may not be good if not self driven.if u consider safety without any doubt xuv,so go for xuv use seat belts with all the airbags in the whole family will be safe.all the best with your new xuv

Jigar |13 Mar,2013 12:30:47 AM

Dear sir , I want to buy a SUV which should be strong , specious ,powerful and economical .keeping this requirements in mind , which SUV do you suggest me ? Duster* or XUV500 . ( * I heard that Duster faces problem while taking turn at the speed of 90Km or more . Please guide me about it ) Thank you .

Retheesh |20 Apr,2013 07:40:15 PM

Hi Jigar, If you have decided to choose between a duster and XUV. I can give you some comparison which will help you in making your decision. But the final decision is yours. 1. POWER: 110 for duster/ 140 for XUV: But duster 470kgm lighter than XUV. Performance is better for duster. 2. Ride quality: Duster is best in this, Better ride quality and no body roll 3. Features: XUV has more goodies....(There is a price added to it) 4. Drive in city: Duster has good advantage. 5. Interiors: thumps up for XUV. 6. Mileage: Duster commands here. Average of 15Km and 10Km for XUV

• vivek diwan |29 Apr,2013 04:39:04 PM

Whoaaa?¦ guys, loads of comments and tempers flying. Well here's my bit. Duster: +ve SUV look-alike but a cross over. New term, Mini SUV. Lighter and smaller than any real SUV. Mileage of a sedan. Highest ground clearance in its segment. Good city drive as its handles well there. -ve Poor interior plastic quality Mileage much lesser than Co claims. At high speeds, it feels rather unsteady, at times. Service after sales of Renault, is yet to make an impression in the market. Interior space is rather cramped. Back seat leg room is cramped too. Power missing. XUV 5OO: +ve A real SUV (2x4 & 4x4 available). Mileage a bit more than Scorpio (2.6 ltrs) but matches with 2.2 ltrs Scorpio. (may differ at some places) Decent ground clearance for its size. Good highway drive as it handles very well in high speeds. Full of gizmos for gadget freaks. Interior space is in abundance and can fit large families very well. Feel-safe factor comes while inside the XUV no matter what the speed is. Compared to other same size SUVs, this is way cheaper and value for money. Has the M&M tried and trust logo. Well experienced team of service after sales across India. -ve Poor city drive, due to its size. Monocoque chasis, thus very expensive accident repairs. (google the pros and cons). Now people, let me also say that I've driven both and I found XUV worth it's money. On the other had Duster I felt and observed had huge quality issues in the cabin. Of course if you can ignore them, then it's fine. Alas, I could'nt. Duster and SUV simply cannot be compared. For that matter, you can't compare Innova with these two either. But people do. More so, the upper variants of Duster are just not value for money. It's a good vehicle providing your expectations are low. So go for the lower variants then and you may get value for money. FYI, Nissan is coming up with the modified version of Duster and it's going to be a lack cheaper too. Well at least that's what the Japanese giant's Co moto is, Cheap and best. So wait for this. What I foresee, there's not going to be that much of a visual difference, as was in the case of Sunny Vs Scala. I've driven a Scorpio too and this is one vehicle that needs no introduction. Simply put, it's a giant Jeep. And a mighty fine one, at the price tag it comes with. Not fully sure why would anyone compare a Vento to a Duster but am you can, if you want to. I have no issues. However, they are a league apart. Vento is an awesome car too, but their diesel engine is a bit noisy. Last but not the least, I just saw the Ford eco-Sport. Let me tell you its' beautiful. Unless I drive the baby, I won??t comment further. But yes, it's an absolute SUV look-a-like but in the size of a Sedan. It's cutely small. Rest you can google if you want. It's all out there.

• anshuman kumar |20 May,2013 10:38:26 PM

actually all of you know a lot about cars considering yourselves to be good enough to judge duster, vento and their marketing strategies....but it is actually time for the imports and global brands coming in india.... welcome them all are good and we not good enough to judge them... duster is a good suv considering it a renault engine and the muscular body . yes service and all are a concern but coming days will definetly be good for sure,, vento is an international success and so is duster so no comments...sales of vento and duster equally good...so people are loving it...though we are expecting a change in the vento bcoz now the verna fludic is winning the market hearts...better for vw to focus on it......duster yes will be going under scanner soon as the orinal datsun is coming to india as well same as happened with the nissan sunny when the renault scala came

• suhas |06 Jul,2013 03:44:01 AM

Hi, Let me put it straight, I have never owned any car by far so I really don't know whether Duster is good car. I would appreciate you could help me decide. The fact is I have to stretch my budget if I have to buy the 85PS RxE. I would have to travel about 2000km per month between Bangalore and my farm which is about 90km and the roads are pretty good. I am choosing to buy the duster as i would have to often transport my farm produce alongside other equipment. I have read a couple of reviews about bad dealer-ship and bad post sales services. I don't not want my money to wasted in trying to experiment. I was also considering i20 diesel(basic variant) though i would have to compromise the luggage space. Thanks