First test drive and I am flat

By for Renault Duster 2012-2015 2012-07-07 15:18:10.0
  • Appearance

Pros : Looks, comfort, handling, Pick up, steering control, mileage, average interior.

Cons : Average interiors (though not too bad)

Look and Style: Other cars in similar budget are non- comparable to this car. Duster simply Rocks.   Comfort: Its too easy to drive from comfort point of view. Back seat too is comfortable. The steering control is awesome.   Pickup: Though it has less CC and BHP than others such as XUV500, but the pickup is quite more. Just drive the car and you would agree that Duster has better pickup.   Mileage: Obviously its a lot more than one can expect in a SUV (or such a size of car)   Best Features: Great Steering, Easy Controlling. I drove at speed of 130 on curved road, and am flat. Its quite awesome, Good space.   Needs to improve: Cruise control could have been there in top variant. But once you drive, you would say that its ok.    Overall Experience: Many people feel that in similar budget (talking about top variant of Duster and W6 variant of XUV500)  it is better to go for XUV500. I too was of this opinion earlier so it was quite confusing for me to choose one from these 2. But once I sat on the driving seat and just pressed the accelerator, It helped me to make a decision quickly. DUSTER IS BEST for me. Though people have different opinions, but this vehicle is best as per my personal experience and I had after driving it.  Interior is not of a high standard (though better than XUV). But I can ignore this point.  Lot of people feel suspected to hear that this SUV is of just 108 bhp. But after driving it, I realised that Renault engines and their technology is awesome.

• AASSAI GOVINDAN |08 Jul,2012 02:00:26 AM

HELLO FRIEND,WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT PICK.UP YOU HAVE TO CONSIDER THE LOAD,XUV IS ABOUT 2400KGS AND DUSTER ABOUT 1700KGS.

James |08 Jul,2012 11:57:35 AM

One cannot complain about its pick up as I had driven the car and after that I felt proud of my selection of duster. Happy man :)

aassai govindan |08 Jul,2012 02:50:15 PM

hai james,it is up to you which one you want to buy.my humble opinion is they are completely different vehicles,xuv is solid and safer one would be lot safer in a crash scenario in xuv than in duster.heavier and safer cars always sluggish,it's all depends on what you want.my opinion based on safety and value for money. if you can get duster 2 lacs cheaper than xuv w6 then i would agree with you,renault is not a premium brand either. anyway all the best with your new car.ta ta.

James |08 Jul,2012 10:59:50 PM

You are somewhat right in your points. However, please note that if you talk about safety for crash scenario, both these cars (yes XUV and Duster), offer monocoque chassis due to which, the impact of crash is reduced to the passengers. Its a technical term, hope you know it. Secondly, if you talk about XUV being safer and sluggish, just try and drive both these cars in 120-140KM/Hr speed on curved roads and you will know the difference. Duster is based on aerodynamics, which make it a lot safer. I too was of your opinion earlier (believe me), but after driving, I learnt a lot about duster. Thirdly, NO NO Renault is not a cheap brand (if you compare it with mahindra than definitely no no...) XUV is mahindra's first vehicle which is of somewhat better quality (if you compare with xylo or scorpio). But RENAULT are pioneer in technologies (study their history). Their diesel engines are best in the world. They were rated SECOND in best brands of EUROPE in year 2010/11. First was AUDI, SEcond RENAULT and Third was MERCEDES. Mahindra stands nowhere. I have made a thorough ground study before investing 13lakh in this asset. Anyways, thanks mate for your wishes.

• James |08 Jul,2012 11:00:37 PM

Note that if you talk about safety for crash scenario, both these cars (yes XUV and Duster), offer monocoque chassis due to which, the impact of crash is reduced to the passengers. Its a technical term, hope you know it. Secondly, if you talk about XUV being safer and sluggish, just try and drive both these cars in 120-140KM/Hr speed on curved roads and you will know the difference. Duster is based on aerodynamics, which make it a lot safer. I too was of your opinion earlier (believe me), but after driving, I learnt a lot about duster. Thirdly, NO NO Renault is not a cheap brand (if you compare it with mahindra than definitely no no...) XUV is mahindra's first vehicle which is of somewhat better quality (if you compare with xylo or scorpio). But RENAULT are pioneer in technologies (study their history). Their diesel engines are best in the world. They were rated SECOND in best brands of EUROPE in year 2010/11. First was AUDI, SEcond RENAULT and Third was MERCEDES. Mahindra stands nowhere. I have made a thorough ground study before investing 13lakh in this asset.

• James |08 Jul,2012 11:02:28 PM

Also everyone note that, I am not a lay man who assumes about quality of ride or something else. I had driven Duster for around 1.5-2hrs and then only wrote the review.

• James |11 Jul,2012 03:38:58 PM

I would also like to add that being a 5 seater vehicle, it would be preferred choice for customers like me, who do not want to purchase a car which has a brand image as if a TAXI. So, its positive factor that Duster is 5 seater. Also the ride quality make me luv this car. If I would have had a driver to drive my car, XUV could have been an option. But as I would be driving the car myself, Duster is best choice for me. This SUV gives sporty look as well as executive look for the car owner. However, XUV does not give an executive look. SO Duster is best for people like me.

M.Reddy |13 Jul,2012 06:45:24 PM

I totally agree with u, my personal experiance is also the same as your and went ahead did the booking. I feel there is anti propaganda by competitors on Duster and hence all these neg. reviews

loveena |22 Jul,2012 06:27:33 PM

Really Friends....JAmes is right... M also dealing in Renault Duster.......Beautiful car.... if m talking about Duster.......Awesome... i also want to purchase this car.... Renault is french manufacturer ....First turbo charger used by renault....

• Amit |16 Jul,2012 12:13:12 PM

James, I agree with you to a great extend. I too had a test drive and found 110PS variant wonderful. No doubt about the quality of Duster or performance. My question is: Being New in India...How Expensive would be Renault's Spares and Paid Services. Buying Duster is One time issue, but Regular expenses involved in Services and Spares would be a BIG QUESTION. Do you have any idea on this, as I am holding my booking to get these points replied.

Rohan Singh |16 Jul,2012 10:35:01 PM

Hi Amit See basically if we are buying 13lakh worth of car, than the maintenance cost would definitely be high. But as per my research and understanding (as i done thorough research before making this huge investment), this cost would not be tooo high. But see we would save somewhat on fuel as compared to other SUVs, so overall duster seems to be value for money. One more thing, this car was overall successful in Europe, which signifies that its a worth buying. Overall am a happy buyer.

• Rohan Singh |16 Jul,2012 10:44:59 PM

I really love this car after driving it. Yes James you commented for it appropriately. its the best car for me

• senthil |17 Jul,2012 04:56:51 PM

Yes dear all friends,all the comments compared with other brands, why don't we talk about dusters two D variants.The first one 85 ps and secondly 110 ps.Compared with 200 nm torque @ 1900 rpm of 85 ps @ 2750 rpm finds to be the best while looking at 248 nm torque @ 2250 rpm of 108 ps @ 3200 rpm.Can any one come to this area to discuss.

• James |17 Jul,2012 07:50:11 PM

HI Senthil Yes you took a good point here. Actually 85ps model is not available for test drive. So any comparison would only be based on assumptions. I wrote this review based on practical experience I had had with 110PS. Obviously 110PS is better option, unless you dont have much issue with the cost. 110PS is best for highways(though not bad for city drive). 85PS would be purchased more by people who only use it for city purpose. But overall, 110PS model would be sold more (am sure). Just compare their pricing. If budget is a problem, then simply opt for RXL of 110PS.