Best choice in this segment

20 people found it helpful. 2055 ViewsWrite Review
  • Appearance

Pros : Great line of sight and very easy to drive.

Cons : Low ground clearance scratched my bumper, a bit noisy cabin

Look and Style

It's a cute little car I bought for my wife. I love the looks. It's neither big nor too small. Nissan needs to put more rubber around the door and hatch as dust and water easily get in to these large cavities. The extra rubber will also help in reducing cabin noise.

Roomy enough for driver and front passenger. Less leg room in the back. Comfortable Interior - better than other hatch backs in this segment. It's loaded with features like ABS, front airbags, push button start/stop and keyless entry. Automatic folding rear-view mirrors are a blessing as I don't need to worry about folding them every time I park on cluttered parking spots. There is reasonably good room for luggage in the back. Plastic and fabric quality is not top notch but reasonably okay. Sound proofing on the doors could be much better considering it's not a cheap car. The air conditioner is very effective and does not affect the engine performance while driving. Overall the car is very easy to drive and it has a great line of sight for the driver with practically no blind spots.

Initially I was getting a very low mileage and was a bit frustrated. Then I realized that my driving style was inappropriate for a CVT engine. I was pushing the accelerator a little too much as I thought the pickup was slow. Then through experience I learned that CVT engines respond differently than the automatic transmission ones. Once you put the car in the drive mode, press the accelerator just a little and allow the CVT engine to respond. The initial acceleration is slow but after a few meters the CVT engine starts responding promptly to the accelerator and the car becomes zippy.

Take it easy on the accelerator paddle and press it somewhat less than what you would normally do in case of an automatic transmission. This will give you a great mileage ~15-16 km/litre in city driving conditions.

Best Features

I have the XV CVT variant. It is very easy to drive and I love the driver's line of sight. You precisely know where the car is going in crowded areas and bumper to bumper traffic. ABS Brakes and Front Air bags are rare in this segment. Nissan Micra has both these features. Windows are large enough for front and back passengers. At the same time there is enough privacy in the cabin. Built-in Radio and music system has good sound quality and there is no need to upgrade unless you need a navigation system. Remote steering wheel controls help in controling the music system, radio and allows you to conveniently answer important phone calls through blue tooth connectivity while driving. The circular console is cute and air conditioning temperature can be adjusted, which is a really nice feature.

Needs to improve

Sound proofing of the cabin, ground clearance, fixing cavities around doors and hatch, after sales service, product advertising. Nissan must clearly differentiate their products from competition. Nissan India needs a better marketing team.

Overall Experience

I did a lot of research before buying this car. The online reviews aren't very encouraging. But I have lived in US and have known Nissans for a long time. My first car was a Nissan Maxima and I did not have any problems with it. My family and friends have owned Nissans and they loved them. Most of the negative reviews in India are about the dealers and their after sales service. Generally there aren't many complaints about the quality of Nissan cars as such. It took me no time to discount those negative reviews. The TV reviews and comparisons that I found on YouTube mostly seemed to be paid reviews. They were good for nothing and none of them were based on proper research. Nissans are new to India. They need to polish their edges, which I am pretty sure they are capable of. Their service partner Hover had really let them down. But they should move on and build credibility on their own strengths, quality, product differentiation and customer service.

Comments Nissan Micra
  • C Srihari |21 Dec,2014 11:31:52 AM

I own Micra Premium Deisel DCI.since Jul 2011.It's excellent And so smooth like petrol car.AC is very good,Roomy enough for driver and front passenger. Reasnable leg room in the back. Comfortable Interior - better than other hatch backs in this segment.I was in Dubai for 18 years.I learn driving in Nissan Sunny.In India many of Them not familier with Nissan Brand.I feel Needs more Advertisement to reach all types of customers.

• raj |04 Feb,2016 12:15:21 AM