Rating of Maruti Baleno

My Third Car From Maruti stable - Maruti Baleno

R
Rajesh Retnakar
On: Aug 17, 2016 | 7468 Views

I was tinkering with the idea of changing my car since usually I used to keep a car for a maximum of 5 years and since I wanted a reliable and low on cost on spares car, I decided to stick to the Maruti stable of cars. My first car was Wagaon R and now I have both the Ritz VXI and the Maruthi Baleno, which I'm really proud of. Worth every penny spent. ( in the meanwhile I went to the Hyundai stable and was impressed with their cars too. The fit and finish are just fabulous)

But I decided to wait for a while before I took the decision. I refused to make a decision no matter how many times the SA from Hyundai called me and also told me about the freebies that he would provide with the car. In the meanwhile, Maruti Baleno came up in various media drives ( CarDekho too) talked about the petrol engine being very peppy and good to drive. It was the same engine that has been used in the Swift and I knew that it is very competent. Even though the bookings were open, I wanted to wait for the final price before deciding on the booking. Then the news about the variants started to trickle in. Standard dual airbags, ABS with EBD and seat belt pre-tensioners. I knew then that Maruti had a winner in their hands. I short-listed the Alpha variant and kept my fingers crossed for the pricing to be revealed on 26th October. They had to price it right for me to go for the car. With the kind of features available on the Alpha variant, I felt that the car would be in the vicinity of Elite i20 Sportz or the SV variant of Honda Jazz, may be a little less than that to be competitive. And finally, the prices were revealed. I made a few quick calculations and was glad that the Alpha variant would cost around 7.5. Yes. This car would be the best bet for me.

So, in consultation with my home Princess ( wife ) and daughter , made the booking for a Granite Grey Alpha and I was extremely happy.

What I liked about this car:

1. The car has an amazing road presence because of the width. No doubt it looks similar to the swift but the frontal view gives it a big car look

2. At close to 8.5 on-road, this car felt the most value for money.

3. Safety - Dual airbags, ABS with EBD, Seat belt with pre-tensioners, rear wiper and defogger.

4. Engine Refinement - You have only the rpm needle to confirm that the engine is running.

5. Features - Finally, Maruti has provided a lot of convenience features which rivals have failed to provide in their mid-variants (Rear defogger/wiper, rear seat headrests, 60:40 split seats, automatic climate control, electrically folding ORVMs with indicators etc). The blue lit centre console is a surely a stand out feature in the car.

6. Comfort - Comfortable front seats. One of the best in the business and I being a 6 ' 2" guy can easily sit comfortably and passenger behind me can also sit comfortably at the back.

What I do not like in the car:

1. A bit of underpowered , but the mileage makes justice to it.

2. I would not call the quality of interiors as premium. They could have been better in many places.

3. The rear view mirror should have been higher up on the windscreen. It kind of blocks the view.

4. The rear bench as mentioned in the official review is flat with no contours. Though space is good, there should have been more support at the rear.

Other Baleno Reviews

• A
    AmbrishJoshi
    On: Oct 28, 2015 | 392268 Views

Excellent Premium Featured Car

Look and Style: Looks of this car are really very impressive when compared to other models. Comfort: Very good ...Read More

• s
    suri
    On: Nov 06, 2015 | 96208 Views

Baleno- The most elegant functional hatchback

Look and Style Very elegant, rich and suave looks. Comfort: Spacious inside, especially the rear seats. The wid...Read More

• s
    sss
    On: Aug 27, 2017 | 6879 Views

Very poor suspension

I bought alpha petrol just one year back. from the very beginning i was dissatisfied with both suspensions parti...Read More

• V
    Vishal Singh
    On: Jun 22, 2016 | 5143 Views

Proud to be the owner of Baleno

This is my first car- the Baleno. I am very happy with the car. It looks really very stylish with those DRLs and...Read More

• S
    Sunil Kacker
    On: Jan 18, 2017 | 4792 Views

The Complete Buyers Package!

When the Baleno was launched in 1999 in India as a sedan, it's sales were significantly lower than both the ...Read More

Maruti Baleno Further Research