Alto is having revers gear proplem. Some time reverse gear not possible to put in fist attempt..

By for Maruti Alto from Trichur, Kerala 2009-12-03 10:42:35.0
43 people found it helpful. 19520 ViewsWrite Review
  • Appearance

Pros : Alto is having revers gear proplem. Some time reverse gear not possible to put in fist attempt.

When I take to Maruti's authorised service centre - Popular - Triprayar(Trichur Dist.) mechanic told me this is permanent problem for Alto, not possible for repair

• Abdul Salam |22 Dec,2009 12:05:07 PM

If the accellerator is pressed before aplying the cletch the gear problems will appear otherwise normal position no problems for the reverce gear

• manojlathar |05 Feb,2010 11:02:49 AM

overall good but revers gear problem facing so many times

satnam saini |19 Aug,2011 07:19:43 AM

yes Alto has reverse gear problem but the good way is that if you have this problem put the alto in first gear and than come for reverse, this will really works......

• Mayank |16 Mar,2010 07:01:36 AM

Ya dat's problem is der, bt overall gud car

• Pradeep Sharma |28 Apr,2010 05:00:04 PM

revers gear problem sometimes makes me so angry when it doesn't work . Company should find some solution for it because its a good car for middle class people .

• A SHANKAR |02 May,2010 05:39:47 AM

No soltion ?? Must be their please find out ??

• stanlykgeorge |03 May,2010 11:09:28 AM

I am thinking to buy an Alto-Lxi next month, but when i read this reviews of Reverse Gear Problem, iam in Doubt to buy. Waiting for Good Reply's

• kumar.s |06 May,2010 02:14:38 PM

i am planning to buy maruti alto shortly, but when i read these reviews about reverse gear problem, i am ??????

mahesh |21 Feb,2012 06:45:13 PM

reverse gear problem is really true. Please let me about this as i am planning to buy Alto lxi very soon

naresh |18 Mar,2012 11:57:13 AM

hey friends inform me too..i also plane too bye... k10 is good option for us...does it have same prob??? if doesnt than we may have option of k10...if u know more regarding this, than contact me my no 09638289873 and email naresh65jadav@yahoo.co.in i also try my best.....

• abhay |27 May,2010 11:13:52 AM

BCOZ IT IS A GOOD CAR REVERSE GEAR CAN B COMPROMISED AND CAR IS BEEN RUN IN FRONT GEAR NOT IN REVERSE THERE4 IT CAN NEGLECTED.

• NJ Ravichandran |28 May,2010 12:32:09 PM

At times i find it difficult to put the reverse gear.Please give me the solution

• Mitu Kumar Sahu |02 Jun,2010 10:41:37 AM

naresh |18 Mar,2012 11:58:28 AM

thank u dost......

• MANDA KRISHNA MOHAN |06 Jun,2010 07:00:09 PM

I WANT BUY MARUTI ALTO LXI TOMORROW BUT AFTER I READ THE REVERSE GEAR PROBLEM, IAM ASKING ANY MARUTHI ENGINEER TO RECTIFY THE PROBLEM OR IS THERE ANY REMIDY FOR THE PROBLEM.BECAUSE IN SMALL TOWNS SO MANY TIMES REQUIRED TO USE REVERSE GEAR. BCAS I LIKE MARUTHI CARS. TILL NOW IAM USING MARUTHI 800. ONE MORE PROBLEM WHEN WE USE AC THERE IS NO PICKUP. PLEASE LET US CLARIFY TO BUY THE CAR.

Anees |01 Apr,2011 07:13:39 PM

Read my comment which could be find little Below..

m kumar sahu |05 Apr,2012 11:33:29 AM

Reverse gear problem is not actually a problem, it is a safety system to the engine and gear box. Can u feel the the problem of moving backward immediately after rising from bed? The same thing happens with the car. in all the cars pick up is reduced while AC is on because the engine rotates two systems at a time ie gear box,AC system. Due to this oil consumption is also more. However AC SHOULD BE USED ONLY WHEN THE CAR IS RUNNING. Alto is such a car it needs the logo HANDLE WITH CARE.

• amit bhatnagar |26 Jul,2010 08:16:53 PM

11 Comments find to "Alto is having revers gear proplem. Some time reverse gear not possible to put in fist attempt

• Velumani |28 Jul,2010 10:20:03 AM

I am using new Alto Lxi for the past 6 months. Yes. Sometimes it happened. Applying Reverse Gear is not so easy as that of other forward gears. But as commented earlier, this can be compromised and it will become familiar in due course. Now I am not finding so difficult to use Reverese Gear as in the initial use. It is not at all a lacuna considerable in this very good vehicle. So this vehicle can be chosen without any doubt or fear. - Velumani.

Dhananjay Lambe |21 Nov,2010 08:35:32 PM

Yess. Reverse gear problem is common in Alto. I'm using the car for last 2 years, but since the problem is known and irrepairable, I'm used to it. Other gears are like Makkhan and I enjoy drive in city. I would suggest not to drive the car on Highways' right side lanes, since it cant' give expected speed during A/c. The plastic material used in the car is cheap and the guage of the tin used exterior is cheaper. Otherwise the car is more than satisfactory. Love to use it as family car...

naresh |18 Mar,2012 12:05:30 PM

thank u both of u...hey frnd tell me does it less with k10??? its of 1000 cc also..but lookwise alto is siperior...so i am little confuse hey friends plz help me..my id naresh65jadav@yahoo.co.in(or 09638289873)..i will call u when u free..thank u friends......

• rohit gupta |07 Aug,2010 12:44:34 AM

reverse gear prob

• amit |07 Aug,2010 12:47:15 AM

Can someone tell if reverse Gear problem is there in Alto K10 also ?

asif khan |14 Jul,2011 11:51:48 AM

yes, i face the same promlam

• santhosh |08 Aug,2010 08:55:54 PM

Sir, I am thinking to buy an alto in september. By seeing the comments over reverse gear problems I am in confusion. Request some one to guide me. Thanking u

aabbb |31 Dec,2011 07:55:39 AM

Hi The car is good when all its operational machanism works properly.The reverse gear is a crap.If you are reversing the car in the middle of the rode it will make embarass by getting horn from vechiles either sides of rode .Their technicians will make you fool showing the technical means. Their service is very bad.Maruti has made a ass hole cheap car to cheat people

• Sreelal |12 Aug,2010 03:29:27 PM

i am planning to buy alto, how this problem came, how to solve this problem, and i need to buy alto thanks

• Avik Chatterjee |15 Aug,2010 02:18:02 PM

I am planning to buy an Alto K10 in next few months.......can any body give any view on the reverse gear prob..is it present in k10 also or it has been rectified by the company??

• jackson |27 Aug,2010 07:34:08 AM

ya right..........i too had such a problem with ma alto lx car.......it too shows up the same problem....how will we go with a car having such a reverse problem for license tests and all where we are supposed to take H to get the license and reverse is a very important aspect..

• Neville |01 Sep,2010 05:21:12 PM

Generally,everybody uses reverse gear for the first time of the day while bringing the vehicle outside the guarage. Mechanic says when the vehicle is kept idle for a long time say 4 to 5 hours, 1st gear must be used first and then reverse gear should be used. This system is a mechanical safety procedure in all vehicles. I realise this is the true fact. HEnce, this is not a problem as everybody feels rather it should be taken as a safety system to protect the gear box. guyz this is the basic concept its tried

• ajit |06 Sep,2010 11:32:27 AM

I want to buy second hand maruti alto contact no:8983419138

• p.s.pol |22 Sep,2010 09:04:11 PM

Yes it is true.I am also experiencing the same problem.Also the rear door is not getting open by using central locking key.( Assembly defect- not checked properly in PDI) The back space is also very conjusted.

• p.s.pol |22 Sep,2010 09:14:04 PM

I have purchased ALTO K 10 VXI model from SHAAN CARS IN NASHIK on 30 aug 10. At present i am getting average 12-13 km per lit.The petrol indicator at the fuel finish stage is blinking .It is not possible to know exactly how much fuel is balance.I think in PDI on line OR IN SHOW ROOM IS NOT DONE PROPERLY.SO MY REQUEST IS TO PL. CHECK THE TOTAL CAR CAREFULLY AT THE TIME OF FIRST SERVICE WHICH IS DUE ON 30 SEP 10.I AM VERY MUCH WORRIED ABOUT THE MODEL.IS THIS BECAUSE OF THE FIRST LOT LAUNCHED IN HURRY.OR THE DESIGN /MANUFACTURING DEFECT. REQUESTING TO HELP FOR GETTING THE PERFORMANCE AS PER SPECIFICATION.PL.INFORM THE DEALER ALSO.

naresh |18 Mar,2012 12:10:40 PM

thank u yar.., i wont be hurry......

• satish |09 Oct,2010 04:03:28 PM

i also thinking to buy Alto but as i got this revese gear problem i got confused../'/'/'???????

Roshi |07 Jun,2011 08:01:44 PM

its not smooth...that is the only problem

• jack |17 Oct,2010 01:41:11 PM

ya i bought new alto k10 and next day i was facing reverse gear problem. ???????????

• P.N. Samuel Saravanan |07 Dec,2010 11:09:23 PM

I want to buy alto lxi by the end of the month and expecting year end sale price. Please call me 9940320581

• rk |02 Jan,2011 12:50:14 PM

I WOULD LIKE TO BUY k10 BUT I AM CONFUSED WITH THIS REVERSE GEAR PROBLEM.CAN ANY BODY HELP ME ON THIS PROBLEM HOW CAN I RESOLVE THIS

• CarDekho Team |03 Jan,2011 01:42:46 PM

There is no issue with the gear changer on the Maruti Alto K10. Thanks, CarDekho Team

• mmp |29 Jan,2011 11:14:41 AM

i have purchased alto lxi.now there is problem of reverse gear.what should i do?

• gunjan |10 Feb,2011 09:14:01 PM

I purchased my car last year and from the begining only I am getting touble in shifting gear.even service center people are not able to rectify this.

• Sikandar |15 Mar,2011 04:12:43 PM

i want to buy AltoLXI but confused due to reverse gear prob and with a.c non pick up prob so this is continue in new car or what?????????

• Anees |01 Apr,2011 07:11:57 PM

Yeah I too have felt it of being harder to put Reverse Gear in first attempt.......But you can put 1st gear and move the vehicle little forward and then you can easily shift to 'R' gear..... :) :) Hope this helps..

• arpit |03 Apr,2011 05:20:04 PM

I am planning to buy new alto K10 VXI model. but when listen about the reverse gear problem, in confuse mind, now what to do?

• axfe |03 Apr,2011 05:23:10 PM

thuf7gtcy twyewttty iam feeling very good

• S MITRA |21 May,2011 06:16:11 PM

I am going to purchase a new Maruti Alto LX, very soon, but I am worried about its reverse gear problem. I AM FEELING DOUBTFUL ABOUT MY CHOICE, but then i cannot afford a costlier car. what do I do?

rajasekar |20 Feb,2014 02:28:14 PM

Am using also for 2 years, Please dont say everyone the reverse gear is a problem, Sometimes the reverse gear cant promptly engage in the first attempt.and can be done if you move the car front slightly and then try it. alto is a nice car. dont made fear to others who willing to buy this good car.

• twinkle |01 Jun,2011 03:00:49 PM

reverse gear problem is a minute problem, alto is good car I am using alto lxi since may 2007.

• asif khan |14 Jul,2011 11:44:22 AM

my car also having the same problam in rampur (u.p) Akansha agency in rampur. comlaint the same problam ruring first service but not resolve til date

• devinder |30 Sep,2011 04:32:15 AM

iam also planning to buy new alto/k10...but confused after reading comment..rev gear shifting problem..can company do something about it

• borale m s |02 Oct,2011 11:02:57 PM

i am planning to purchase Alto k 10 vxi , whether this model is having reverse gear problem now a days also

• Ravindra |22 Oct,2011 11:03:11 AM

It's Having Reverse Gear Problem...SOLUTION is...Keep the GEAR lever as such in obstructed position, then slightly release the CLUTCH Lever with BREAK pressed....Again Press the CLUTCH....Then slightly push the gear.....It is overcoming from that obstruction.....Its working & resolves the problem EVERYTIME....Follow this solution & do not play with Gear Lever while taking reverse in traffic Ravindra....Mob.9099938539

m m rao |12 Feb,2012 01:02:24 PM

Ravindra's suggestion is a big relief for me as I am just now shortlisted Alto to be my first car. Many thanks to him for aptly clarifying on the reverse gear problem!

Nirmal |19 Jun,2012 02:17:08 PM

hi i have rencetly purchased a second hand maruti alto and have recently staryed driving the vehicle. i dont quite understand what you have suggested. can you explain again pl. thanks

• Vijay Kumar |05 Nov,2011 03:38:26 PM

I have purchased my Alto in November,2010 and still facing reverse gear problem. After applying 2-3 times, it comes in order. However, withing this budget I like my Alto very much. Vijay Kumar Pandey Gularia Chini Mills Gularia, Lakhimpur Kheri

• praful |29 Nov,2011 10:06:55 AM

i am using Alto for the last 3 years ... Only after reading the above comments I realized that it is the issue with reverse gear ...till now i was thinking that i am messing up with reverse gear, sometimes i put gears in hurry ... But this problem does not occurs every time and not So Big that we drop idea to buy the best small car. once u start driving u vl get an idea how to cope up with this situation....one good point is mentioned by Ravindra(read comments :22oct,2011).

• malhotra |07 Feb,2012 10:57:52 PM

i am intt.to buy alto cng car but after knowing the reverse gear problems i am confused pl. help me malhotra 9560138222

• Prasad |13 May,2012 08:59:54 AM

Yes. I am having Maruti Alto. Reverse gear problem exists. When inquired about this with service engineer I was told that tis is the common problem for alto since 4 gear M800 is converted into Alto with 5 gear and luxury of the then ZEN. A good car sans this problem

• prakash reddy |06 Jul,2012 10:15:27 AM

Alto K10 is a very good car. It definately worth its price and makes you feel affordable running cost. Initially I faced reverse gear problem, but I found solution by myself. Before you put reverse gear, move the car in 1st gear for an inch and put the reverse gear, as you do for your bike. other way is while parking your car, pull the hand break and after it completly stops, give the gear support. This will make your car relay on break system, so that gear rod move freely for your start. Thanks, Prakash.

• mahinda |07 Jul,2012 07:17:03 PM

I also experience the same both my cars

• Neetu Narula |15 Jul,2012 07:36:02 AM

Hey i am planning to buy ALTO in a weeks time but after reading reviews about REVERSE GEAR, i am scared now .. Pl. let me know do we still have poblems with REVESE GEAR? somebody tell me Waiting ASAP

• Murli |29 Nov,2012 11:27:47 AM

All u ppl up there its the same issue with Wagon R (LPG) and Zen Estilo VXI we use both and they are new just done around 20,000Kmts

• ashish tiwari |13 Dec,2013 04:53:48 PM

this is really big problem if u think to buy alto be carefull

• Charan |30 May,2014 11:12:24 AM

Defenitely yes - reverse gear problem is a truth for Alto K-10 too. Other wise the car is best in class

• Abhilash |06 May,2015 03:59:08 PM

I've the same problem for my Alto K10 LXI version. Soon after the purchase of Car I noticed this and immediately inform the service centre. They said that is a security features to avoid accidentally engaging reverse gear. But certainly I feel this is a fault in the gear box rather than security concerns.