Rating of Maruti Alto 800

A car that I am prisoner of

A car that I am prisoner of

Yes, many would be surprised as one still reviews a car like the Classic Alto 800. I do and vouch for the car that made me the proud four wheeler owner way back in 2006. It was and still is the average Indian car that faithfully carried on the legacy of its predecessor the legendary Maruti 800. I had driven the machine a decent 40,000 kms as would any car shy bike addict. It served me like a trusted warrior night and day, giving not a single moment of embarrassment either in the scorching heat of sunny afternoons or in the fiery downpour of the monsoon late evenings. It rode through with great compassion in rain and shine yet the least fleecing on gas stations. My neighborhood mechanic happily obliged to its meager needs on top ups and seasonal rejuvenative therapies and it went on and on me growing up along and coming of age. Its decent yet limited resources stood me in good stead all along as the automobile industry grew leap and bound showcasing machines that both marvellous and awe-inspiring. The humble family of mine too grew and true to times clamoured as the spectacle of neighbourhood beauties disturbed their ego like no other and the demand for a better car are ringing in my ears, yet I am indecisive and perplexed, do we really need another car as yet? Still sadly for all practical purposes I may go for another machine, perhaps a compact sedan, but the Alto will still linger as most suitable and decent compromise ever for Indian roads. In its new avatar with the classy looks, the huge gains in mileage, comforts and safety will still give it the edge and give other cars of the segment a true and great run for their money. Perhaps AMT and a lustrous infotainment panel will give the extra edge and render it the most stylish compromise wagon ever..

M