Hyundai i20 1.4 CRDi

• Appearance

I have been a customer of Hyundai i20 1.4 CRDi Sportz version for the last 5 years (from Feb 25, 2011). Rode 60,000KM

Buying decision:

The buying decision was made due to few reasons:

1. Was looking for a Diesel hatchback. Other options at that time were Maruti Swift, Fiat Punto, Ford Figo, Skoda Fabia and Tata Vista. Maruti was having 5-6 months waiting period and boot space was a concern. With respect to others, i20 scored on availability/ reliability of service, styling, resale value, etc. VW Polo, Toyota Etios Liva, etc were launched later.

2. Went for an eye-catching maroon colour (don’t remember the exact name now) and sports version (just below the top end) which provided most of the key requirements that we required.

When I look back, I got a mixed bag. The decision was not bad – the product is no. 1 in its category. But for my driving requirement, I may not have needed a diesel (Only 60,000 km in last 5 years)

1. Powerful 1.4 ltr engine.. which is very good on the highways

2. Spacious interiors

3. Exterior and interior styling

4. Good strong body

1. Ground clearance is low, which may be improved in subsequent versions

2. Bluetooth was not there which was provided by Vista

3. Servicing was expensive and 6 monthly, whereas Punto is annual servicing.

Major servicing required:

I serviced only in Trident Hyundai, Bangalore from where I bought the car. The servicing is patchy. Initially, they made me replace unnecessary things like brake disc in 15k KMs which hardly had a wear and tear.

Afterwards, actual servicing was required and done for:

1. Clutch replacement – Rs.20k+

2. Steering motor replacement – Rs.8k including labour and parts

3. All 4 Tyres replaced in 50K km – Rs.15k to 20K depending on the brand

4. Battery in 60k – Rs.5k

5. A/C overhauling and vaporiser replacement – Rs. 7K

6. Each oil service costs Rs. 8.5k

7. Each Interior cleaning shampooing costs – Rs.2.2K

Frequently they asked to replace brake pad like every alternate service (which I am not sure if it is required. I suggest doing this only if there is a noise while braking or low braking function).

Will I refer i20 for my friend? Probably yes, it still is a good option since at least two updates were launched and many drawbacks are fixed. But still is an expensive option to purchase and maintain. Especially since the subsequent increase in service costs and the service centre’s motive to make maximum money out of each service!

Comments Hyundai Elite i20