Ford EcoSport
    Rs   5.89 - 9.19 Lakh*

Honda Should've Learned From The BR-V's Fiasco

By for Honda WRV 2017-03-01 21:03:43.0
  • Appearance

Our family was looking for a sub-4m SUV of late as we wanted to upgrade from our first-gen Ford Figo. And since the Honda WRV is what one sees nowadays on the Internet auto space, I showed it to my brother that we can consider this as well. I guess it is Honda's debutant sub-4m SUV.

Besides the WR-V, other options in the sub-4m SUV segment are the Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza, Ford EcoSport, and two offerings from Mahindra, the NuvoSport (What? Perhaps Mahindra wanted to cash in on the popularity of the Eco'Sport') and the TUV300.

The Mahindra offerings were ruled out mainly because of their non-essential body-on-frame construction, extra weight, not-so-good road manners (this is a vital aspect of us and that's why we chose the Figo in the first place back then in its segment) and less frugal engines. When I got to know that Ford will soon introduce the facelifted EcoSport in the country from one of my colleagues, I got excited. But it turned out to be a long wait as Ford will probably launch it by year end.

Now after exploring more about the WRV, I realized that it is the same recipe that Honda used while cooking the BR-V. And I don't think it worked out well for Honda as it is facing a hard time rolling the BR-V out of the showrooms. Though only time will tell how the Indian market will accept the WR-V, I'm afraid it might have the same fortune as the BR-V. Ground-up designs such as the Ford EcoSport and the Vitara Brezza in this segment are really important. Buyers are getting smarter these days, they don't want to spend their hard earned money on some beefed-up hatch. To put things into perspective, none of the cross-hatchbacks in the country are selling anywhere close to the EcoSport or the Brezza.

I'm not saying it is a bad vehicle, the WR-V features some class leading goodies such as the six-speed manual with its diesel, sunroof, and others. But individuality in design is really important for us. Guess we've to wait for the updated EcoSport!

• Honda WR-V
  • Don't miss out on the festive offers this January
  • m k sangle |02 Mar,2017 04:09:47 PM

good 1

• shozy |02 Mar,2017 04:52:50 PM

the price is high. it is not reachable upto every common person

• arj |13 Mar,2017 04:59:49 PM

Seems that you are die hard ford lover..its ok bro..keep cool

• MK KV |17 Mar,2017 02:34:52 PM

Typical ford enthusiast !!

• VinothKumar Subramani |22 Mar,2017 02:05:53 PM

I have recently chosen Ecosport over Brezza and upcoming WRV a month ago. I don't regret about my choice now. :) May be you have a check on Tata Nexon soon

• MURALI |22 Mar,2017 06:26:43 PM

top end diesel variant price is 10.20 .cost 5% etc .y they fix price like this

• Manan |30 Mar,2017 12:13:18 PM

Eco Sport is a seriously uncomfortable vehicle both at front and read seats. Needs lots of improvement....However, it has been a trends of sorts for the auto companies for pushing the envelope by offering a similar engine and model and making cosmetic changes therein to charge a premium....Maruti uses the same engine from swift, baleno, ignis, brezza, ciaz, sx cross and all, similarly honda uses the same diesel in Amaze. City, BRV, so why should any one pay a premium for body contours and shape

• pranavesh dhairyawan |05 Apr,2017 04:51:28 PM

I am more than satisfied with cabin space and the host of facilities offered . Boot space looks adequate. overall looks are eye catching . Ground clearance is good. Fuel efficiency is yet to be tested . It also gives driving pleasure. If it comes in 1.5 ltr engine it may boost the sales figures.

• Chetan |14 Apr,2017 04:14:21 PM

Honda wrv mainy 17 march ko purchase ki gaadi bhahut acchi hai average city mai 20 tak deta hai .interiour space bahaut hai back seat par aaram sai 4 log aa saktey hai . Top model mai jaarurat ki saari facility hai jaisey sunroof tochscreen groundclearnce 188. Awsome car thanku honda for giving us new honda wrv suv

• SANTHOSH |17 Apr,2017 08:14:03 PM

WAIT FOR TATA NEXON

• Vikas |22 Apr,2017 04:19:51 PM

It all depends what you are looking in a car If we talk about the three compact SUV Ecosport, Brezza, and WRV. If we consider space, comfort & convenience and millage then Brezza & WRV is the best fit but if u consider Power, Engine performance, Safety and a driver car then Ecosport win the race. All Car share some similarities in terms of good ground clearance, great look, loaded with latest features. One major point I observed in WRV is that the Diesel Engine is very noisy.

• rkmisra |26 Apr,2017 12:25:15 PM

Honda City automatic would be the best provided Honda consider two things : reduce price of the automatic version and use wider and bigger - 16 tyres for Indian roads.

• Jeevan Bisht |11 May,2017 04:26:55 PM

I am planning to switch over to crossover segment, by this year end, really confused as of now: 1 Creta is my first choice but over budget for me. 2 Vitara Breza is ok but I dont like Maruti brand 3 Eco sports- I hate ford cars. Now I have only option left as of now is WRV, but quite confused about this car. Can some one help me with genuine information on WRV please.

• raja goud burra |19 Jun,2017 11:20:59 PM

I am planning to switch over auto transmission to ford/wrv please suggest

• car enthu |06 Jul,2017 01:00:23 AM

WRV is a compact SUV, fair powered, with modern technology, economically smart w.r.t price & average - worth it. Time would show its market sustainability, hence first time SUV buyers with one car family, might wait for 8-10 months, while those opting as a second car in family, can surely try it right away.