Ritz vs Punto....

By for Fiat Grande Punto from Delhi 2012-04-23 12:35:07.0
  • Appearance

After driving the Maurti Ritz, I have this mental block that no hatchback can be as comfortable and as smooth as this. At the same time my friend has a Fiat Grande Punto and he is in love with that. We decided to take a trip in each other’s car. Must admit, the sparkling red Punto looked quite good. Fiat Grande Punto has a spectacular spacing. The interiors and exteriors look very finished and high quality. The leg room seemed to be a little better in Punto but in terms of comfort both are equally good. The boot, no doubt is fantastic for a hatchback in the Fiat. However when it comes to driving, Ritz is more responsive and smooth in comparison. The gear shift is better as well. The brakes were however more responsive in Punto, but that might be because the Punto is just 7 months out of the showroom as compared to the Ritz, which I had purchased 11 months back. The mileage that Punto diesel is delivering is around 12kmpl and Ritz is delivering around 17 kmpl. In terms of handling and control as well, Ritz seems to be better. The comfort on the bumpy roads is more in the Ritz thanks to the higher ground clearance. If we consider in terms of resale value, my car would be far better even if just because of the brand name that it holds. Plus, the advantage is the service centres. I don’t have to run around looking for spare parts and service stations because of the wide spread Maruti network. So even after the test drive, my car is still the best and it would take a lot for anyone to change this fact.

• deepak |23 Apr,2012 10:50:57 PM

u r right.ritz diesel is great car with great pickup....i love it....mileage is 20 .......crosses 170 km/h very soooooon......

Sriram |27 Jul,2013 12:34:29 AM

Ritz uses Fiat engine... FIAT punto is more rough car in its segment. I own it almost 1.5 year 2012 model. It gives me around 20 KMPL .Its an emotion pacage. My entire family love that car. Earlier i drove RITZ which is an ok car and i definitely cant compare with Punto because punto is an gem of car

• Rajesh N |24 Apr,2012 06:41:29 PM

Hello, I am a CarFan, FIAT cannot be compared to other carsjust on specificiation. If you take FIAT customers, they buy for the feel of the car, period. Today majority of the small segment cars use FIAT engines, why, it is very reliable. I have personally seen the PUNTO, not taken a test drive, since the quality speaks about the performance. As an engineer point ofview, i appreciate PUNTO. I fully agree that FIAT is Engine Manufacuturer first, then the car manufacturer in current situation.

anand |24 Apr,2012 10:13:30 PM

i agree with u mr rajesh.as i m the owner of the FIAT PUNTO GRANDE 90 HP.i lovemy car very much.i have taken my car on feb,2012. its a 2012 model.this is my 2nd FIAT car.1st i was using FIAT PALIO.1st things abt FIAT my 1st service was on 3000km but in maruti it is 1000km. 2nd service is on 15000km and oil change also. im getting the mileage around 18km on highway and 15km in city driving. we compare the features FIAT has more features than maruti.

Rajesh N |25 Apr,2012 11:45:37 AM

Hi, I have driven Manza for 2 years/40k KMS, Fiat engines use synthetic oil, give 17 inside city, 20-23 on highways, 19 in hills. FIAT engines are fuel/lubricant sensitive. Avoid revving the engine 2500 rpm if possible, adjust gear, minimize brakes, maintain constant Clean Air filter once in 45 days, or prior if driving in dusty/muddy roads. FIAT engines need more proactive engineering maintenance than its counter parts, in which ever car it is mounted. There is no doubt about mileage, since CRDI based engines burn fuel scientifically and not conventional way, so increased exposure of atomized fuel, improved burning, quick torque delivery in a cycle, thanks to its French/Korean turbo units that adds more power to the engines. In India, Quadrajet is mounted in most of the non-FIAT cars, Multijet is flagship product of FIAT and mounted only in PUNTO. Multijet has won international awards in year 2007.(Wikipedia) Very few FIAT/TATA product owners are fortunate to locate a professional service center. I am still looking for one in Chennai to personally get satisfied. Wish all of a happy, safe driving, and save fuel for our nation. Please share your best practices too on other cars. Many Thanks.

Dharmesh Sonigra |26 Apr,2012 01:31:59 PM

You are right Mr Anand it's really good car comparing other company's car. I have purchased my Punto Dynamic models on 15 January 2012. It's Not 2012 Model. It's Great in driving & Mileage. I get an average of my car in City it's 15 to 17 Kms. with fully AC mode and on Highway It's give me 23 to 24Kms. with fully AC. In price comparing with features no other company gives. But our Indian People have no confidence in Fiat thats' why it's selling is too low comparing with other compnay's Cars. My car first service at 5000 Kms. and next service at 15000Kms. I am really satisfied with my car. I have driven my till date 7100Kms.

sriram |27 Jul,2013 12:38:39 AM

Me too have the same 2012 90 HP and done 15000 KM.. what an car. i promise its more heavy than a sedan cars. I remember i drove to thitupathi from chennai along with my family. while returning the car was just equally did race with another car which is Innova. So much confident while driving above 120KM/hour.. I am in us now but still miss my punto.

Sam Molloy |25 Apr,2012 11:28:37 PM

Fiat builds the diesel for several makes, but Maturi Suzuki builds their own gasoline engines. Both seem utterly reliable. Here in the states we are finally getting the 500, sold as a fashion statement, and Suzuki's smallest car here is the SX4, which was designed in Italy. Diesels are so highly regulated here VW is the only small car to offer one. To pass regs it uses among other tricks a strange system whereby fuel is injected into a chamber in the exhaust system every few minutes to burn off the soot. I too love cars and have a Suzuki SX4. I rarely see another one hereabouts.

• Amar |24 Apr,2012 10:07:57 PM

HI M, U seems to be disappointed from Ritz dats why u are writing like this... first of all get ur facts clear before writing on these kind of forums. do u think people are fool here that they will believe punto diesel is giving mileage of 12? it give ms 20 with AC on. and everybody know here about Ritz.. its for those who dont get Swift and happy with the discount but tough ride.. and JFYI i have touched my punto to 170 many times..

Anoop |21 Mar,2013 03:50:30 PM

i dont even understand how can people compare any of the maruthis with a FIAT.ritz or swift can be compared only with figo/liva/beat /micra. People buy a ritz jus coz they didnt get a swift Matured dynamics, ride quality, high speed stability and high speed cornering ability of punto is outstanding Ridind and handling of ritz is nowhere near a punto

• Amar |24 Apr,2012 10:08:01 PM

shirish |25 Apr,2012 02:23:55 PM

company does't know how to manufacture engine (heart of vehicle) that company maruti compare there cars with fiat cars its big joke. i have fiat grand punto 2012 i got 22.5 km/l with AC on highway and 18kmpl in city .fiat has solid build quality & feel like big car. its value for money . i am very very happy with my grand punto 2012

vish |26 Apr,2012 07:23:47 PM

Oh please AMAR dont speak nonsense punto gives 20 with AC for 2 litres better be joking

Amar |30 Apr,2012 08:39:36 PM

Vish... wud u like to have demo. :-) give me ur contact details..

Amol |17 Aug,2012 11:56:14 AM

Hey Vish... I am using Punto diesel since Nov 11, and belive me...it is giving 23-24 on highways...(keeping rpm 2k in 5 gear most of the time)...if you go more fast than 100 then it will come upto 21-22...In city, yes the milege is low upto 16 to 18...Adding to this...I keep AC on 75% of the driving time.... You can contact me on 800742880 if u want... Thanks... Amol

• shravan |25 Apr,2012 08:19:26 PM

better to buy punto for safety and handling reasons .If if one is ontoxicated with maruti service then go for Ritz .I have maruti and and during service the car always returned in bad condition. Hence I have stopped my brand new Ritz taking to service its being serviced at local garage

• shravan |25 Apr,2012 08:22:43 PM

• manmeet |25 Apr,2012 10:03:01 PM

punto delivers mileage of 27 on highway .... best in aerodynamics...swift cost 5500 for 10000 kms on service while punto cost 6500 for 15000 for service better braking power

• Dharmendra singh |26 Apr,2012 12:00:05 PM

Hello, I am a CarFan, FIAT cannot be compared to other carsjust on specificiation. If you take FIAT customers, they buy for the feel of the car, period.Built quality top class,Mileage 22.5 per lit. in highway. Today majority of the small segment cars use FIAT engines, why, it is very reliable. I have personally seen the PUNTO, not taken a test drive, since the quality speaks about the performance. As an engineer point ofview, i appreciate PUNTO. I fully agree that FIAT is Engine Manufacuturer first, then the car manufacturer in current situation.

• D from Pune |26 Apr,2012 12:16:22 PM

My dear Friend, Ritz is also having same engine as like Punto and it is made by Fiat Only. one more thing i wants to tell you that Punto is a premium hatchback in this country and it is the safest car in this country and in this segment. Maruti's Plus point is only its service Network not quality. if you want Milage,quality, safety, apperemce,comfort PUNTO is the only Car in this country. But unfortunately in our Country we didnot notice about all these factors while taking CAR. we only notice about Discount and Prices Of car and its a bad thing. please wrote about Facts dont misguide to Other. MAruti is selling anything like Ecco. which safety factor is considered in ECCO.dont write Anything in FORUM like this.

Dharmesh Sonigra |26 Apr,2012 03:02:12 PM

You are exctaly right my friend. That in our country nobody notice about all the factors of the Car. People only buy which car sold more in our country and they buy that car only. One another thinking of our Indian People do you know? Before buying a car they think about resell value of car what they will get after 3 to 5 years. I dont think that maruti's diesel car is cheper than Fiat Punto diesel. Also with feature of the car. Fiat Punto is a premium hatchback car like I20 Diesel.

• CarTech |26 Apr,2012 04:21:25 PM

The Driving/Dyanamics of Punto matches with some of the sedans in India. It is the safest car (may not be the best while driving in crowded market). But driving on highway no hatch can match it. fiat, italy is a designer and known world over for most fuel efficient small cars (small cars in india are nanos, but now the concept is changing with fabias, i 20's, polos, micras etc)but believe you me Punto is different/safe & cheap. Some people are more scared than need to be for service/spares. Ride it to fall in love This engine is used in swift, ritz, indica, manza, ertiga, sx4,premier rio, punto, linea, palio, fiat 500....(fiats are sold worldwide) .....and the list is endless

• CarTech |26 Apr,2012 04:21:30 PM

• CarTech |26 Apr,2012 04:27:04 PM

Fiat is a very Good/Safe/Dyanmic/Fuel Efficient Car. Ride it to fall in Love.

• CarTech |26 Apr,2012 04:27:09 PM

Fiat is a very Good/Safe/Dyanmic/Fuel Efficient Car. Ride it to fall in Love.

• nagaraj |27 Apr,2012 12:57:48 AM

oops guys, i strongly feel this comparison should be ignored and may be deleted. how can one compare the premium punto with the gap filler ritz. build quality, drivability, safety systems of rits are no where near to punto. the author doesn't even know that even ritz uses the same fiat engine. he should have asked his friend to write about ritz's experiance which would have helped others too.

• Piyush |27 Apr,2012 12:04:42 PM

I pity this Ritz owner. He drove punto and must be feeling depressed why he did not go for Punto. Ride & handling better in Ritz ??? What the hell ? Punto has the best ride & handling. Even those who hate FIAT, they also agree this. Have you thought of safety ? Well, it's not your fault. Maruti people think of safety only when they met an accident. Punto is car with one of the best built and ergonomics. Mileage-Punto 12 kmpl ??? You must be driving in 2nd gear all the way. It gives more than 20 kmpl. You still have chance. Sell your crappy Ritz and buy Punto. You will not regret.

• Piyush |27 Apr,2012 12:13:54 PM

What the hell ? You are comparing cars from different segment. Rid & Handling - better in Ritz ??? You must be joking. Even those who hate FIAT, they also agree that Punto has best ride & handling in it's class. Have you ever think of safety ? It's not your fault. Maruti people never think of it, until unfortunate event of accidents. Bang your Ritz against a Punto and you will know who solidly Punto is built. Punto Mileage 12 kmpl ? Are you sure you know driving. You must be driving in 2nd gear all the way. It gives 20 kmpl with 100% AC on. Ritz is a car for those people who can afford Wagon R but dreamt of Swift and end-up buying Ritz. Punto is a premium hatchback for those who GOT HEART.

• Piyush |27 Apr,2012 12:15:11 PM

• Piyush |27 Apr,2012 12:39:41 PM

Arvind |16 Jul,2012 06:29:33 PM

Ha, ha HEART maybe, but no mind or brains. Your Punto is no better than a truck. If you want accidents, well, go for em!! The 4th gear ride is like 2nd gear, so thats why you keep speaking of 2nd gear. What the hell?

CarTech |30 Jul,2012 01:41:10 AM

Ha, ha...it looks like you have never used 4th gear in punto, not even 2nd gear. Tractor does not move at 140 kmph. And yes its better than truck in the body build...1 door is more heavy than 4 doors of Maruti......If you do not want safety of yourself and family...its your wish.....But dont misguide people

• hitendra desai |27 Apr,2012 04:34:05 PM

Now i have RITZ N my next car is RITZ again ........

• Sunny |29 Apr,2012 12:51:55 AM

Well I agree that Maruti has wide service networks because maruti cars are highly vulnerable to the accidents.. Have anyone heard about any accident wherein FIAT cars are involved... In Shot Maruti cars are RUBBISH... They are introducing same PRESSURE COOKER with different DHAKKAN.....

• Sumit Mukhopadhyay |29 Apr,2012 06:50:27 AM

I completely agree with SUNNY, MARUTI CARS are nothing but TIN FOILED boxes with different colors. I have driven two of them, ALTO, I had sold after two years and WAGON R, I had sold after five years. It is true, that, they have wide service network, but very few people know, in those SERVICE CENTERS, hardly any services done. In most of the cases, It is eye wash. Presently driving a SKODA FABIA PETROL, I am extremely HAPPY with the built of the car and the engine performance. It is giving me around 13 in the city (KOLKATA) with AC on. Satisfied with this.

• CarTech |03 May,2012 12:56:59 PM

Pls find safety report http://www.euroncap.com/tests/fiat_punto_2005/238.aspx

• CarTech |03 May,2012 12:57:47 PM

Pls find safety report http://www.euroncap.com/tests/fiat_punto_2005/238.aspx

• srinivas |10 May,2012 08:02:09 PM

I don't know why Punto is compared on engine basis to Ritz?FIAT gives the license to Suzuki to use its disel engines in all of suzuki cars.Swift is tuned for better torque and Ritz is tuned for better efficiency.As per the standard test Punto1.3 multijet 75bhp can give mileage from 19.7 to 22.3 kmpl and I came to know that it gives almost same mileage with or without AC.The 2012 variant has rear foot ac vents which is not there in anyother hatchbacks.I am verymuch looking for ABS and but not in highend ,only Punto has ABS variant(diesel) in mid class and many other features are offered on fog lamps,electrically operated OVRM.

• hsc |30 Jun,2012 04:54:32 PM

Have different opinion, compare the following and you will get the answer:- Ground clearance, Body Roll, height to width ration, boot space, 25 reasons why to buy a punot, Mileage, 90 degree speed turning, build quality, service interval, interior, music system quality and features, ac performance, gear ratio, driveability and above all style & engineering. We have to remember that we drive on roads and not on racing tracks. Driving is a big responsibility and should be dedicated to others safety. I would like to hear more on cetane quality of diesel......anyone who can educate more on it.

• ashwin kumar |11 Mar,2015 02:06:50 PM

Hi im ashwin I plan to buyfiat 1.2 dynamic petrol engine, anyone pls advice abt this version Regards Ashwin

mr misal |18 Mar,2015 02:44:29 PM

Hi I own a petrol 1.2 dynamic since 2012 handling is superb hydraulic ps,ride is smooth,highspeed stability,1of the safest car in India.The only cons is f.e. in bombay city10/ltr with ac on and the pickup u have to rev above 2300 rpm go4diesel instead

mr misal |19 Mar,2015 05:03:21 PM

cont. when I purchased fiat 1.2 punto on of my friend suggested me to purchase a petrol ka kuva b4 I purchase petrol punto I took tht comment on a lighter note but I now realized that mera dost mujhey bhaari aawaz mein much samjha raha tha go4diesel plz

• rajat |10 Apr,2015 10:35:02 AM

OMG what a great theory on the ugliest car in India the RITZ, have you really tested fiat punto i really doubt man, it gives 20+ mileage and superb ride and handling the steering is best in class, 160 plus can be touched easily. ritz is more responsive i agree but that is the only pros in ritz as comparinig to punto as punto is best when rpm is in 2000 revs. better try once more and put some serious post. and resale value is what when you want to sale it.

• Senthil Kumar |21 Apr,2015 04:28:44 AM

Punto has greater ground clearance than any other hatch.

• stavan master |07 May,2015 04:07:14 PM

Hi. let me shell some light on Punto. it is one of the best car alo0ng with Linea till date in India under 15 lacs. FYI none car can match/ compared with ride and handling of Fiats. i have Punto 2013 MJD active model. drove 53 000 kms in 2 years only. car is fantabulously stable at high speed journey over 150 kmph. even at that speed ride and handling put many 3 times costly sedans to shame. about (1) Maruti- they manufacturing roaming bombs on road with worst quality light weaight material car and playing with customer safety. (2) Hyundai- giving all guddies except ride feeling. if you love driving stay away from them. (3) Volkswagen- good products with nice engines but be ready to shell out more behind maintainece charges. (4) Tata- no comments. copycat of Fiat cars. (5) Ford- nice handling except ecco sport. (6) Toyotas- stay away from wafer thin cars. (7) Chevrolet- confused package of ride and handling with same engines of Fiat Multijet engines. (8) Honda- copmomizing with build quality to remian in race. i shall reject wafer thin Brio, amage, and City with too noicy engines. if you want safety and stability kindly go for European cars like Skoda, Fiat and Volkswagon. out of above 3 Fiat is having best latest engine technology, best ride and handling, warranty perioud, competatetive maintaince and features. rest is on you to decide. kindly dnt compare Ritz with punto as it seems comparing cycle ( RITZ) with Hayabusa. Happy riding.

• bibin |06 Jun,2015 05:01:15 PM

I own Punto 2014 model, Done 16000km now A great car to own, did first service at 15000Km, 5100 rs was the total bill Ride quality is too good, breaking superb even without ABS. Gives a Fuel economy of 18km/litr in city and nothing less than 23km/litr on highways. Superb build quality, feels like driving a jet

• rohan pk |30 Aug,2015 09:19:46 PM

I own punto 90 hp 2013 sportz and it always gives 24 plus in highway between 90 to 100 km per hour speek and its gives best 28.4 with 80 km speed with straight road for 100 km worst high way mileage she gave is 17 with between 140 to 150. This is where fiat engineering plays a vital role no ther cars(lighter cars) gives such mileage. Lets real owners speak.