Question & Answer

Ask a Question
Search for an Answer

i want to buy a used car, if the car registration is at other state, can i transfer it to my state. is there any additional tax to be paid for state transfer? how much amt. should i pay ? can i run any car in our state if the registration number is at other state?

Published On : 2016-08-09 23:54:56.0 venkata sastry
Category : Used
Answers for this Question

Yes, you have to get the registration changed. Vehicle registration is valid only for the state where you have initially purchased the car. If you move states, yes, you will have to re-register your car. This is called transfer of registration from one state to another. After registering your car, number changes from the previous state to the new one (for example Rajasthan (RJ) to Maharashtra (MH)). You need the following documents for transfer of registration:

NOC from the current RTA : This is required so that authorities in other state RTA know that there are no pending cases against your vehicle earlier. Essentially, the current RTA certifies that they have no objection to you transferring your vehicle to another state. This would require you to submit a form at current RTA, along with the required documents such as registration certificate, insurance etc.

NOC from Bank: If you have a car loan, and your car is mortgage to a bank, you will also require an NOC from the bank.

Valid Insurance and PUC certificates: Before transfer, do ensure that your insurance is valid, and your pollution under control (PUC) certificate is also the latest.

Once you have the above, you need to apply in other state for transfer of registration. You will need to submit the following papers:

              1) Original Registration papers Original Invoice of your car (to determine the road tax)

              2) NOCs - from RTA and bank (if required)

              3) PUC certificate

              4) Insurance papers Change of address proof (DL,Passport or Nationalised Bank                                            statement)

Fill up the required forms. There will be an inspection of your car. You will also have to pay the road tax (as appropriate for the state you are transferring your car to). This will depend on the model of your car, and when you bought it. Road tax varies from state to state.

Rest, we suggest you to contact your state RTA or the RTA agent to know the transfer charges and further procedure.

CarDekho on 2016-08-10 10:10:24.0
Post Your Answer
3000 Characters Left

Related Asked Questions

  • I have send car photograph on ID NO159864 to yr Whats app no 8952991919 as provided by you but the photograph of my car still not uploaded.Pl help

    Published On :2017-01-23 14:51:24.0 RANJIT KUMAR SARKAR
    Category : Used

    Hey, apologies for the delay and the trouble caused. As checked, you have an advertisement for Hyundai i10 on our website and the images for the same has been uploaded.

    Please click here to check the same.

    Apart from this, the process the upload the images is very simple. You must have received the log-in credentials on your registered email ID and mobile number.

    All you need to do is to login into your account and in "My Listings", click on the edit option. From here, you can make the required changes on your advertisement. In case you have any concern related to your advertisement, please feel free to reach us on 1800-200-3000 Mon - Fri (10 AM - 7 PM)

  • How can I get my Used Car evaluated with Car Dekho score

    Published On :2017-01-23 14:22:53.0 Avik Roychoudhury
    Category : Used

    Hey, thanks for your interest in getting your car evaluated through CarDekho Score. Moreover, the evaluation is being done on new cars only.

    CarDekho score is a combination of how a car scores on performance, comfort and convenience, safety and security and mileage on a scale of 100. The overall rating factors in the weightage on each parameter depending on the car type, price segment it comes in.

    The higher the overall score the better it is. The scoring on each of the parameters such as performance, comfort and convenience, safety and security and mileage is an aggregate score of all the factors related to particular parameters respectively.

    Please click here to know the scores of most popular cars. This score is available only for popular cars for now. But more cars are being tested and will be added soon. Stay tuned for updates!

  • Hi can a individual person sell a car or is there any registration needed of company

    Published On :2017-01-21 19:33:16.0 By Arun
    Category : Used

    Any individual can sell a car. The process of selling a car is quite simple. All you need to do is to find a suitable buyer for your car and then go through the paper transfer formalities.

    Now a days, there are lots of website on which you can post the advertisement of your car and the buyers will contact you. You can post the advertisement of your car on our website as well. Please click here to post the advertisement and click here to know the valuation of your car.

  • I want to buy one small car like hatchback for local transportation with full safety in lower of cost, i have one sedan car Honda civic is there with me now i want to buy small car also, so please guide me......

    Published On :2017-01-20 13:24:11.0 By Arun
    Category : Used

    Hey, its nice that you are planning for a new car. First of all, we are glad to that you already own an awesome car i.e. Honda Civic.

    Now, talking about a hatchback car with full safety, there are ample of options available for you. So, it depends upon what budget you have planned for the new car. You have options like, Ford Figo, Maruti Ignis, Tata Tiago etc which will provide you an ultimate safety.

    In order to suggest you the best car, we need to map your requirements and the budget as well. Please feel free to get in touch with us on our toll free number i.e. 1800-200-3000 Mon - Sat (10 AM - 7 PM) or write us on

  • why you have mentioed worng price on my ad?/

    Published On :2017-01-17 19:52:25.0 By Arun
    Category : Used

    Apologies for the trouble caused. We would request you to kindly dial us at 1800-200-3000 Mon - Fri (10 AM - 7 PM) and we will surely get the details checked and corrected.

    Moreover, you must have received the log-in credentials on your registered email ID. Please follow some simple steps to edit your advertisement online.

    >Please visit on

    >Login with your log-in credentils.

    >In my Advertisement section, click on the Edit button and make the required changes.





Please tell us your city

It will help us serve you better content and best deals

eg. Mumbai, Gurgaon, Delhi
My Comparison