Here are the top 20 basic car maintenance tips for longer and healthy life of your car:
1. The most important thing that matters in car maintenance is washing your car at regular intervals of time. Keep both the exterior and the interior of your car clean and tidy.
2. Waxing your car at periodic intervals gives a new shine to it and also increases its resale value.
3. Clean your car interiors weekly using a vacuum cleaner. Clean the carpets, mats, hand brakes, pedals, and car seats. You can use a soft brush or soft cloth to clean the dashboard, audio system, and the instrument cluster.
4. Check the condition of the windshield wiper. If you find any kind of malfunctioning or damage immediately replace it.
5. To clean the mirror and glass surface of your car use a scratch-free microfiber towel or a glass cleaner.
6. Do check the working and components of your car's engine at regular intervals of time. Keep the area surrounding the engine clean and check for any kind of damage in the engine components. Engine plays a significant role in the functioning of a car and hence needs extra care.
7. You also need to check the level of engine oil. Regular checking and calibration of engine oil is very important.
8. Avoid keeping your car idle for a longer period of time as idling may reduce the life of your car.
9. Never try to clean the surrounding of a hot engine by water as the engine may explode or it may cause other hazards.
10. You should also change the oil filter in your car as this helps in smooth and effective filtering of all impurities in the oil and may block the entry of oil in the engine. If in case the filter is damaged the impurities may enter the engine and hamper performance.
11. Check the condition of your car battery. If you find any kind of wear and tear in the battery housing immediately get it replaced. Also replace the cables, fluids, and lights of the battery if required. If there is any kind of leakage from the battery replace the battery itself.
12. If any of the electrical components in your car are exposed cover them with plastic cover so that any external factor like water cannot damage them.
13. Transmission also plays a significant role in car's performance. So closely check the working of the transmission system as it requires proper handling and attention. Check the fluid and other components in the system. To ensure better life of the gearshift you also have to be very friendly while shifting gears using the clutch. It is also important to select the right gear at the right speed of the car and the condition of the road.
14. Get your car's air-conditioner check periodically to avoid any kind of major expenses. If you feel the air-conditioner is not giving the desired temperature immediately get it checked by an auto expert. The working can be affected by weak car battery.
15. Certain indications like a soft brake pedal, glowing of brake light, squeaking of brake clearly indicates that there is some problem in the brakes