Top Gainers and Losers; October Car Sales Analysis- CarDekho Exclusive
Published On Nov 05, 2012 06:40 PM By Vikas
The Indian festive season has certainly brought reasons to celebrate, Indian automakers which were facing a tough time due to uneven economic conditions, managed to lure buyers in October 2012. And the reason has been some of the biggest launches of the year during October, which includes Maruti Suzuki Alto 800, Tata Safari Storme, Mahindra SsangYong Rexton, Mahindra Quanto, new Ford Figo, Chevrolet Spark facelift, New Modified Honda City with CNG, New Tata Manza, Tata Aria's new base variant LX, new Indica eV2, Honda Brio Automatic and various other festive/special editions launched by different car makers. So all these efforts has no doubt worked out well for the Indian automotive industry.
Most segments inspected a decent growth, but it is the the utility vehicle segment on the whole (SUVs/MPVs/MUVs) to grab the biggest bite. While SUVs grew by 73 percent, MUVs/MPVs recorded a growth of 52 percent on the other hand. But consumer's falling interest towards executive sedans has been quite apparent, the segment experienced a decline of 29% during October if compared with the same time, Last year , but as they say one's loss is other's benefit, so the Entry level Sedan segment has been the biggest beneficiary here, it recorded an impressive 25% growth.
So here CarDekho brings you the October car sales analysis, check out who gained and who missed this month.
Top 10 Selling Cars of October 2012
* As expected it's all Maruti Suzuki there in top selling cars, Maruti has grabbed a total five positions in the list, with Alto, Swift, Dzire and WagonR on top-four positions.
* Hyundai as well has been doing superb, it has got three cars in the list of Top 10; The entry level hatchback Eon has managed to come in the list for the very first time.
* Having sold, a total 7,289 units during October, Maruti Suzuki Ertiga MPV holds the No.9 position in the top-10 list, which shows the MSI's dominance in every mass segment.
* Mahindra Bolero is once again the biggest selling car from the house of Mahindra & Mahindra, selling 11,071 units during October, it is the fourth highest selling vehicle in the country.
* Hyundai i20 as well doing wonders for the Korean auto giant, recording a growth of around 32% in October, a total 9058 i20s were sold in the month.
* Tata Indica has been the only vehicle from the Indian auto giant Tata Motors' portfolio to make it to top 10, Indigo however is doing good, could not manage to come in top 10 selling cars of the month.
- The only A segment car in India, Tata Nano, which was doing well, saw a huge dip this month. It could manage to sell around 4,000 units.
- Maruti Suzuki Alto has retained its top position in the entry level segment by selling 26,600 units during October, the tall boy WagonR as well saw a huge rise, a total 13,608 units were sold this week as compared to the last year's 7,934 units during the same month.
- Hyundai i10 and Eon too are doing great for the Korean automaker, in fact both the cars managed to come in top-10 selling cars of the month, thanks to the on-going festive season.
* India's most competitive segment the B+ recorded a growth of around 15.83%. While in the last year October, segment total was 49,869 units, this year it reached to 57,766 units, which means increment of 7,897 units.
* Maruti Suzuki Swift has once again proven its dominance over others, a total 15,433 units were sold in the festive month October this year, which means, it doubled its sales number as compared to the last year's figures of the similar month.
* Hyundai i20 as well did superb in October, a total 9,058 i20s were sold in the month, recording a 32.5% growth as compared to October 2011.
* However Indica could manage to hold the no. 3 position in the segment, it saw a fall of 38% during October 2012. While in the last year October it was the segment topper with a total 10,812 sold units, this time it could just sell 6692 units.
* The other two cars which are doing quite well in the segment are Maruti Suzuki Ritz and Ford Figo having sold 5,809 and 5,610 units respectively.
The Entry Level Sedan Segment
* What all factors that helped the Entry level Sedan segment to grow at a rate of around 25% is the superb show put up by Maruti Suzuki Swift Dzire and the entry of some exciting new cars in the segment including Skoda Rapid and Renault Scala.
* The segment topper Dzire alone sold 14,389 units as compared to the last year October's 5001 units, which means three fold growth during the period.
* Tata Indigo range which was holding the top position in October 2011, recorded a decline of about 8 percent this year during the same time. However, it still holds the no. 2 position in the segment.
* Hyundai Verna as well did great for the company, a total 5050 Verna's were sold in October 2012 as compared to the last year's 4,217 units during the same time.
Executive/Premium Sedan Segment
* One segment which indeed inspected the adverse effects of uneven economic conditions of the country is, Executive sedan segment. The upper middle have shifted to the entry-level/compact sedan segment cars that today offer all the comfort features one wishes to get in a comparatively lower prices. On the other hand, the new rich class of India too has shown its interest towards luxury cars.
* A total 2353 executive sedans were sold in October 2012 as compared to the last year's 3330 units during the same time, means a decline of 29%.
* Newly launched Hyundai Elantra Fluidic has for the third consecutive time topped the segment.
* Toyota Corolla Altis and Chevrolet Cruze as well managed to sell 332 units each.
* Segment MPV on the whole has impressed everyone with its performance, where in the October 2011, a total 21,772 MPVs were sold, this year, the entry of Maruti Suzuki Ertiga has alone helped the segment grow better than ever before. The Segment has recorded a growth of around 52%.
* Newly launched Maruti Suzuki Ertiga has topped the charts once more, showing the constant rise in its sales numbers, it has achieved its best ever sales this month since its entry in the market.
* Toyota Innova which was leading segment before Ertiga, as well managed to grab 5,889 units, holding the no.2 spot in the segment.
* Growing interest of consumers towards the Sports Utility Vehicles (SUVs) in India is quite apparent. This is the one segment which recorded the highest growth among all, a total 35992 SUVs were sold in October 2012 as compared to the last year's 20827 units, means a growth of about 73%.
* Like always the Indian auto giant, Mahindra & Mahindra bagged the top positions in the segment, However, Renault Duster has been the second best selling SUV in India with a total 5406 sold units in October 2012.
* Mahindra Bolero has yet again topped the segment, a total 11,071 Bolero's were sold during October, other two cars that did well for M&M are Mahindra Scorpio and XUV500.
* The newly launched compact SUV, Mahindra Quanto as well impressed everyone with its sales figures, a total 2497 units of the vehicle were sold in October and is expected to do even better in November.