The Maruti Suzuki Baleno, with an overall length of under 4 metres and petrol and diesel engine options under 1.2-litre and 1.5-litre respectively, falls under the small car category. This category of cars attracts a Good and Service Tax (GST) of 29 per cent (petrol) and 31 per cent (diesel) across the nation. While the tax percentage in most states has come down by a significant margin when compared to the pre-GST tax rates, it’s now slightly higher in New Delhi. However, prices of the Baleno have come down throughout the nation post GST, including the capital city.
Want to read in detail about the impact of GST on car prices in India? Read here.
While the Baleno was previously available at a starting price of Rs 5.28 lakh in Delhi, the same Sigma petrol variant is now available at Rs 5.26 lakh (both prices ex-showroom Delhi). The price drop for the top variant with the diesel engine is Rs 1,000, and it now costs Rs 8.42 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).
The prices of the Baleno have come down significantly in Mumbai where cars were taxed at a higher rate before. The drop in price for the base Sigma petrol variant, which now costs Rs 5.29 lakh (ex-showroom Mumbai), is Rs 29,000. The top-end diesel variant of the Baleno is now cheaper by Rs 42,000.
The price of Baleno RS sees a sharper dip in comparison, and the sportier version with the 1.0-litre turbo petrol engine now costs Rs 8.37 lakh ex-showroom in Delhi and Rs 8.4 lakh ex-showroom in Mumbai. That’s a reduction of Rs 32,000 and Rs 78,000 for Delhi and Mumbai, respectively.
The Baleno competes with the Hyundai Elite i20 and Honda Jazz in the premium hatchback space. The Hyundai and Honda also fall under the small car bracket and come with both petrol and diesel engines. Both the Elite i20 and Honda Jazz also see a drop in prices in the range of Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000 in Delhi and Rs 33,000 to Rs 55,000 in Mumbai.
- GST Impact On Used Car Market
- GST Effect: Tata Motors Slashes Prices By Up To 12 Per Cent
- GST Effect: Nissan And Datsun Drop Prices Up To Rs 0.92 Lakh
- GST Effect: Skoda Slashes Prices By Up To 7.4 per cent
- GST Effect: Maruti Prices Drop 3 Per Cent, Smart Hybrids Get Expensive
- GST Effect: Toyota Slash Prices By Up To 12.29 Lakh
- GST Effect: Honda Joins The Party, Drops Prices By Up To Rs 2.27 Lakh
- GST Effect: Ford Prices Slashed By Up To 4.5 Per Cent
- GST Effect: Renault India Cuts Prices By Up To Rs 1 Lakh
- Jaguar Land Rover Car Prices Post GST
- Audi Car Prices Post GST
Read More on : Maruti Baleno on road price
Further Research on Maruti Baleno
You might also be interested in
Baleno Automatic Now Available In Alpha Variant
Tata Nexon Vs Ford EcoSport Vs Maruti Vitara Brezza - Specs Compared
Maruti Suzuki Organises Nationwide Monsoon Check-Up Camps